JR Freight Class HD300
Prototype HD300-901 at Tokyo Freight Terminal, May 2013
|Power type||Hybrid diesel/battery|
|Gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Length||14,300 mm (46 ft 11 in)|
|Axle load||15 t|
|Locomotive weight||60 t|
|Top speed||110 km/h (70 mph)|
|Power output||500 kW|
|Number in class||2|
The Class HD300 (HD300形) is a hybrid diesel/battery Bo-Bo wheel arrangement shunting locomotive type operated by Japan Freight Railway Company (JR Freight) in Japan. Following the delivery and evaluation of a prototype locomotive in March 2010, the first full-production locomotive entered service in February 2012.
The new locomotive uses lithium ion batteries, and is designed to reduce exhaust emissions by at least 30% to 40% and noise levels by at least 10 dB compared with existing Class DE10 diesel locomotives. Tests conducted at Tokyo Freight Terminal in June 2010 demonstrated fuel savings of 36%, NOx emission reductions of 62%, and noise level reductions of 22 dB compared with a class DE10 locomotive.
The first full-production locomotive, HD300-1, delivered in January 2012, while broadly identical to the prototype HD300-901 locomotive, incorporates a few minor improvements, including changes to the headlamps, a wider front-end warning panel to reduce snow build-up on the steps, and larger windows in the driving cab doors to improve visibility.
The prototype locomotive, HD300-901, was delivered from the Toshiba Logistics factory in Fuchū, Tokyo to Tokyo Freight Terminal on 30 March 2010 for approximately six months of trials before being moved to Matsumoto in Nagano Prefecture later in the year to assess performance at higher altitudes. The locomotive was moved to Sapporo Freight Terminal in Hokkaido in January 2011 to assess battery performance and adhesion in cold winter conditions.
The prototype locomotive entered revenue service from 11 July 2011, on shunting operations at Tokyo Freight Terminal.
In May 2012, the Class HD300-900 prototype was awarded the 2012 Laurel Prize, presented annually by the Japan Railfan Club. A formal presentation ceremony was held at Tokyo Freight Terminal on 18 November 2012.
|HD300-901||30 March 2010||Toshiba Logistics||Prototype|
|HD300-1||17 January 2012||Toshiba Logistics||Full-production locomotive|
|HD300-2||26 October 2012||Toshiba Logistics|
|HD300-3||13 November 2012||Toshiba Logistics|
|HD300-4||13 December 2012||Toshiba Logistics|
The HD300 classification for this new locomotive type is explained below. As with previous locomotive designs, the prototype is numbered HD300-901, with subsequent production locomotives numbered from HD300-1 onward.
- H - hybrid locomotive
- D - four driving axles
- 300 - synchronous motors
- Sugiyama, Giichi (August 2012). "HD300形量産車" [Class HD300 Production Locomotive]. Japan Railfan Magazine (Japan: Kōyūsha Co., Ltd.) 52 (616): p.62–67.
- "新型入換専用機関車(試作)の形式名とデザインについて" [Class name and design of new shunting locomotive prototype] (pdf). News Release (in Japanese). Japan Freight Railway. 10 February 2010. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- "甲種鉄道車両輸送計画表" [New rolling stock delivery schedule]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 39 (312): p.124. April 2010.
- "HD300形式ハイブリッド機関車「量産車」の運転開始について" [Entry into service of Class HD300 hybrid locomotive] (pdf). News Release (in Japanese). Japan: Japan Freight Railway Company. 16 February 2012. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- "HD300形式ハイブリッド機関車の営業使用開始について" [Class HD300 hybrid locomotive enters revenue service] (pdf). News Release (in Japanese). Japan Freight Railway. 13 July 2011. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- "国内初のＨＶ機関車 ＪＲ貨物が試作車を報道陣に公開" [JR Freight unveils prototype of Japan's first hybrid locomotive to media]. The Sankei Shimbun (in Japanese) (Japan). 25 March 2010. Retrieved 30 March 2010.
- "HD300-901，札幌貨物ターミナルで寒冷地走行試験" [HD300-901 tested in cold conditions at Sapporo Freight Terminal]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 25 January 2011. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- "甲種鉄道車両輸送計画表" [Rolling Stock Delivery Schedule]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 41 (334): p.125. February 2012.
- "ブルーリボン賞・ローレル賞 選定車両一覧" [Blue Ribbon Award & Laurel Prize Winner List] (in Japanese). Japan: Japan Railfan Club. 29 May 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "ブルーリボン賞・ローレル賞受賞式" [Blue Ribbon and Laurel Prize Presentation Ceremonies]. Japan Railfan Magazine (Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd.) 53 (622): p.64. February 2013.
- "甲種鉄道車両輸送計画表" [Rolling Stock Delivery Schedule]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 41 (343): p.126. November 2012.
- "甲種鉄道車両輸送計画表" [Rolling Stock Delivery Schedule]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 41 (344): p.127. December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JR Freight HD300.|
- JR Freight press release announcing development in September 2008 (Japanese)
- Official press release from Toshiba (25 March 2010) (Japanese)
- JR Freight HD300 (Japan Railfan Magazine) (Japanese)