|Also known as||J*DaVeY, J Davey|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, USA|
|Genres||Alternative rock, electronic, funk, new wave, soul, hip hop|
J*Davey (stylized as J*DaVeY) is an American music duo from Los Angeles, CA. The group consists of female vocalist Jack Davey (real name Briana Cartwright) and male keyboardist/producer Brook D'Leau. The group had formed after being introduced by a mutual friend in high school.
Growing up in St. Louis, Cartwright was exposed to classic jazz and hints of late seventies jazz fusion before being introduced to the sound of the eighties with R&B and hip-hop. By the time she relocated to Los Angeles at the age of 8, Cartwright landed a spot in an all-girl singing group that signed to MCA Records. The group never released any material.
D'Leau was surrounded by new wave and pop rock sounds by the way of Prince, Radiohead, Talking Heads and The Police. And at an early age, D'Leau began to create interestingly melodic instrumental tracks in his father's home studio after school and on the weekends for fun.
The group signed a record deal with Warner Bros. Records in 2007. Through the label, J*DaVeY released a compilation album of 2 EPs named The Beauty In Distortion/Land Of The Lost. Soon after, the duo left Warner over a dispute concerning the label's demand to split the group.
Shortly after, the duo self-released two EPs: Boudoir Synema: The Great Mistapes (Part 1) (December 2009) and Evil Christian Cop: The Great Mistapes (Part 2) (February 2011).
The group released their debut album New Designer Drug on November 22, 2011 under their self-managed label, iLLaV8r.
J*DaVeY's music has been licensed for episodes of the television drama, CSI: NY and a Snoop Dogg starred film, Bossin' Up. J*DaVeY's songs have been played on various radio stations across cities within the US including Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, and Atlanta, as well as overseas by way of BBC Radio hosts Gilles Peterson, Benji B and Berry King.
The duo have performed in sold-out venues at the House of Blues in Anaheim, CA and the Temple Bar in Santa Monica, CA. Prince invited J*DaVeY to open for him at his 3121 Club. and they also featured in the new the Bloody Beetroots album Romborama with Make Me Blank.
Jack Davey/ Cartwright is now working with Hollywood and SkeeTv music producer TH8A aka Joe Fabio of Blue Town Syndicate] for a solo project. She just released the single The Road to Hell.
- Jack Davey - Vocals/Songwriter
- Brook D'Leau - Keyboards/Producer
- Thundercat - Bass Guitar
- New Designer Drug (November 22, 2011 - iLLaV8r)
- The Beauty in Distortion/The Land of the Lost (July 1, 2008 - Interdependent Media)
- Boudoir Synema: The Great Mistapes (Part 1)
- Evil Christian Cop: The Great Mistapes (Part 2)
- Metromix Sonic Boom
- XLR8R Magazine J Davey Talks L.A. Style
- The New York Times At the Intersection of Styles, Taking Some Songs for a Ride
- "http://pinboardblog.com - PinBoard". pinboardblog.com. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "J*Davey - New Designer Drug (Album Review) - This Is Real Music". thisisrealmusic.com. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "Interdependent Media emerges with Tanya Morgan, J*Davey - Plug One". "plugonemag.com". Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "ALBUM REVIEW: J*DaVeY – New Designer Drug - The Couch Sessions". thecouchsessions.com. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "Filter Magazine Getting to Know - J*DaVeY". filter-mag.com. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Shamz. ""Audio: J*DaVeY "Queen Of Wonderland" feat. Thundercat - Okayplayer - okayplayer.com"". okayplayer.com. Retrieved 24 May 2011.