14 February 1972 |
Jaan Tallinn is partner and co-founder of the development company Bluemoon which created the game SkyRoads. He graduated from the University of Tartu in 1996 with a BSc in Theoretical Physics with a thesis that involved traveling interstellar distances using warps in space-time.
Tallinn is a former member of the Estonian President's Academic Advisory Board. He is also one of the founders of the Centre for the Study of Existential Risk, and the Future of Life Institute, and was co-founder of the personalized medical research company MetaMed.
He strongly promotes the study of existential risk and has given numerous talks on this topic. His main worries are related to artificial intelligence, unknowns coming from technological development, and biological risk. In his opinion humanity is not spending enough resources on long-term planning and mitigating threats that could potentially wipe us out as a species.
- "Jaan Tallinn, Curriculum Vitae". Tartu Ülikool Sihtasutus. May 2012. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "Creating global business model for knowledge-intensive SMES the small transition country cases" (PDF).
- "Tech firms find home in revived Estonia". International Herald Tribune. 13 December 2005. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- "If It Works, You Can Break It". Forbes. 20 December 2004. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- "Office of the President press announcement".
- Lewsey, Fred (25 November 2012). "Humanity's last invention and our uncertain future". Research News (University of Cambridge). Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "Future of Life Institute".
- Clarke, Liat (24 April 2015). "The solution to saving healthcare systems? New feedback loops". Wired.co.uk. Retrieved 24 May 2015.
Tallinn learned the importance of feedback loops himself the hard way, after seeing the demise of one of his startups, medical consulting firm Metamed.
- Weber, Harrison (1 March 2013). "Peter Thiel-backed MetaMed thinks you should have your own on-demand medical research team". TheNextWeb. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "Machine Intelligence Research Institute".
- Template:Cite youtube
- "A Skype founder on biomonitors, existential risk and simulated realities". The Wall Street Journal. 31 May 2013. Retrieved 2014-05-02.
- "Existential Risk: A Conversation with Jaan Tallinn". Edge Foundation, Inc. 16 April 2015.
- "Skype co-founder Jaan Tallinn on surviving the rise of the machines". Marketplace. 26 December 2012. Retrieved 2014-05-02.
- Interview Series with Jaan Tallinn
- Ambient Sound Investments - Jaan Tallinn's Profile
- Bluemoon Interactive
- The Guardian profile on Estonia by Jaan Tallinn
- Jaan Tallinn's Metamed Profile
- Jaan Tallinn does a Reddit AMA
|This article about a computer specialist of Europe is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This business-related Estonian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|