|Locale||Narmada Valley, Tapti Valley, hilly region in between|
|Operator(s)||North Central Railway
West Central Railway
|Rolling stock||WDM-2, WDM-3A, WDM-3D, WDS-6 and WDP-4 diesel locos; and WAM-4, WAP- 4, WAG-5, WAG-7 and WCM-6 electric locomotives.|
|Track length||552 km (343 mi)|
|No. of tracks||2|
|Track gauge||1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) broad gauge|
|Operating speed||up to 130 km/h|
Source: Google maps
The Jabalpur–Bhusaval section is a railway line connecting Jabalpur and Bhusaval. This 552 km (343 mi) track is part of the Howrah-Allahabad-Mumbai line. The line is under the jurisdiction of West Central Railway and Central Railway.
The Great Indian Peninsula Railway's pioneering Bombay-Thane line was extended to Kalyan in May 1854. Bhusaval station was set up in 1860. In 1866 Bhusawal-Khandwa section was opened. The GIPR connection reached Jabalpur from Itarsi on 7 March 1870, linking up with the East Indian Railway Company track there from Allahabad, and establishing connectivity between Mumbai and Kolkata.
While the Itarsi-Harda sector was electrified in 1990-91, the Harda-Khandwa-Bhusaval sector was electrified the next year. The 605 km long Naini-Manikpur-Katni-Itarsi route has been identified for electrification under Vision 2020 – A Blue print for Railway Electrification Programme.
The Allahabad-Bhusawal section is classified as 'B' class where trains can run up to 130 km/h.
Itarsi diesel shed holds 145+ locos. It has WDM-2, WDM-3A, WDM-3D, WDS-6 and WDP-4 diesel locos. This shed serves routes all across central India. Itarsi electric loco shed came up in the 1980s. It holds WAM-4, WAP-4 and WAG-5 electric locos. Its WAG-5 locos perform banking duties on the Budni - Barkhera ghat section. Bhusaval electric loco shed has WAM-4, WAP-4, WAG-5, WAG-7 and WCM-6 locomotives.
- "IR History: Early Days – I". Chronology of railways in India, Part 2 (1832 - 1865). Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "IR History: Early Days – II". Chronology of railways in India, Part 2 (1870 - 1899). Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Vision 2020 – A Blueprint for Railway Electrification". Ministry of Railways. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Permanent Way". Track Classifications. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Indian Railways Passenger Reservation Enquiry". Availability in trains for Top 100 Booking Stations of Indian Railways. IRFCA. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Sheds and Workshops". IRFCA. Retrieved 17 November 2013.