Jabel Waqf as Suwwan crater
The crater has a diameter of 5.5 km. It is estimated at 37-56 million years old. It is exposed at the surface.
The crater was proposed in 2006 by geologists Elias Salameh and Hani N. Khoury from the University of Jordan, along with German professor Werner Schneider. The bolide is estimated by Prof. Salameh to have been 100m in diameter, and to have had an impact velocity of 40–50 km/s.
- Kenkmann, T; W. U. Reimold, M. Khirfan, E. Salameh, K. Konsul, T. Lehmann and H. N. Khoury (2009-03-23). "40th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference". The Woodlands, Texas: Lunar and Planetary Institute. Retrieved 2009-08-19.
- "Jebel Waqf as Suwwan". Earth Impact Database. University of New Brunswick. Retrieved 2009-08-19.
- Jordan news agency, quoted at the Bad Astronomy forums
- Scientists discover region’s largest meteor crater, The Jordan Times, August 8, 2006
- At Google Earth Community
- Salameh Elias, Khoury Hani N., Schneider Werner (2006). Jebel Wagf as Suwwna, Jordan: a possible impact crater - a first approach . Z. Dtsch. Ges. Geowiss., Vol.157, No.3, P. 319-325 (Cited at http://omzg.sscc.ru/impact/ab460.html)