Dr. Jacek Kugler is a scholar of International Relations and former Chair of the Department of Politics and Policy at Claremont Graduate University in Claremont, California. He was President of International Studies Association (2004-5) and Peace Science Society (1995-6). He was also editor of International Interactions, and editor for special issue of Journal of Conflict Resolution and International Studies Review.
Before joining CGU, he taught at Vanderbilt University and Boston University. He was also visiting professor at UCLA, California Institute of Technology, and National Defense University. In addition, he was research scholar at the Center for International Affairs, Harvard University, and Project co-Director at the Center for Political Studies, University of Michigan.
Kugler is an expert on war, peace, deterrence, power transition theory, formal decision making, political economy, economic development, and political demography. Through extensive publications on the causes and consequences of war, he has forged a reputation for innovative formal modeling and empirical analysis. His extensions of the theory of power transition explain the initiation of World War I and II and account for peaceful relations among major powers during the Cold War. Professor Kugler is pioneering a new perspective on world politics that logically and empirically challenges well-established formulations of the realist school. His formal work on policy advances agent based models that can anticipate the outcome of complex negotiations and provides systematic aid to policy makers involved in day-to-day decisions.
Kugler's research was funded by National Science Foundation, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), and the Ford Foundation, etc. He has been a consultant to the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, Department of State, Department of Defense and a number of U.S agencies and private businesses. He founded the Sentia Group Inc. with Mark Abdollahian for the formal study of decision making, policy analysis and advice.
- Power Transitions: Strategies for the 21st Century (with A.F.K. Organski, Ronald L. Tammen, Douglas Lemke, Carole Alsharabati, Brian Efird), CSQ press, 2000.
- Birth, Death and Taxes: Political and Demographic Transition (with A.F.K. Organski, T. Johnson, and Y. Cohen), The University of Chicago Press, 1984.
- The War Ledger (with A. F. K. Organski), The University of Chicago Press, 1980.
- Faculty Page at Claremont Graduate University
- International Studies Association
- The Peace Science Society (International)
- The Interuniversity Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR)
- Formal Theory & Quantitative Methods, from UCLA's Department of Political Science website.
- Journal of Conflict Resolution
- International Studies Review
- International Interactions
- CURRICULUM VITAE, The School of Politics and Economics, Claremont Graduate University.
- Jacek Kugler, THE CONSEQUENCES OF WAR: FLUCTUATIONS IN NATIONAL CAPABILITY FOLLOWING MAJOR WARS, 1880-1970 (Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Michigan, 1973 , 358 pages), ProQuest Database.
- Bio of Jacek Kugler, Department of Politics and Policy, CGU.