||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
|Born||Jacqueline Yvonne Harry
August 14, 1956
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, U.S.
|Education||High School of the Performing Arts
C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University
|Spouse(s)||Elgin Charles Williams (m. 1996–2003)
(1 son; adopted)
|Awards||1987 – Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series Sandra Clark (227)
1999 – Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series Lisa Landry (Sister, Sister)
2000 – Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series Lisa Landry (Sister, Sister)
Jacqueline Yvonne "Jackée" Harry (born August 14, 1956 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina), better known mononymously as Jackée, is an American actress and television personality, best known for her roles as Sandra Clark, the sexy neighbor on the TV series 227 (1985-1990), and as Lisa Landry on the sitcom Sister, Sister (1994-1999). She is noted for being the first African American to win an Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. She is currently starring as Pauletta Birdsong in Byron Allen's syndicated sitcom The First Family. She also starred as Evelyn Rand in the Disney sitcom Girl Meets World.
Born in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and raised in Harlem, New York, to a Trinidadian mother and African-American father, Harry began studying acting at the High School of the Performing Arts on the Lower East Side in New York City. She was an American History teacher at Brooklyn Technical High School before beginning a career on the New York stage.
Harry made her Broadway debut in A Broadway Musical, playing a chorine. Throughout the 1980s she starred in numerous productions both on and off Broadway, and in national touring productions. In 1994, Harry made her return to the theater by starring as Billie Holiday in the play Lady Day at Emersons Bar and Grill. Following that stage production, she fulfilled the role of "madam who runs a bordello" in the Broadway musical The Boys from Syracuse. In the mid-2000s, she appeared in stage productions of The Sunshine Boys, Damn Yankees, and A Christmas Carol. She also toured nationally in JD Lawrence's The Clean Up Woman.
In 1983, she made her acting debut in Another World as Lily Mason, a role she continued until 1986. In 2003, she was a surprise guest on the Another World Reunion that SOAPnet coordinated and aired. In 1985, Harry began a co-starring role opposite Marla Gibbs as the apartment building vamp, "Sandra Clark", on the NBC sitcom 227. Her mother, Flossie, celebrated her getting the part but died before the show aired. During the series run, Jackée and Gibbs began feuding privately over who was the series lead. They have since reconciled and collaborated on a number of projects together. Her performance on 227 inspired NBC producers to create a television pilot for her entitled Jackée. Although the pilot episode was a success with audiences, the series did not last and the episode is now shown as an episode of 227.
After leaving 227 in 1989, Harry starred opposite Oprah Winfrey in the adaptation of Gloria Naylor's novel, The Women of Brewster Place. In 1991, she joined the cast of The Royal Family after the star, Redd Foxx, unexpectedly died. She starred opposite two-time 227 guest-star Della Reese. In 1992, she starred as the assistant coach in Ladybugs. Harry served as a guest panelist on the 2000 revival of To Tell the Truth and appeared on the second season of VH1's Celebrity Fit Club 2 in 2005. From 1994 until 1999, Harry played Lisa Landry, the adoptive mother of Tia Mowry's character, on the sitcom Sister, Sister.
She had a recurring role as Vanessa on The CW series Everybody Hates Chris and currently has a recurring role on the BET Series Let's Stay Together. She is starring in Byron Allen's Syndicated Sitcom The First Family which also features Marla Gibbs in a recurring role. On April 12, 2013 it was announced that she was cast in the episodes "Girl Meets Crazy Hat" and the pilot of Disney sitcom Girl Meets World. In 2014 she made a guest appearance on Instant Mom as her character Lisa Landry.
Harry became the first African American to win an Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for 227 in 1987. She won NAACP Image Awards for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for Sister, Sister two consecutive years in 1999 and 2000.
Harry was married to Elgin Charles Williams from 1996 to 2003.
- 2014 – Girl Meets World as Evelyn Rand (Pilot,10th Episode)
- 2014 – Glee as Herself
- 2013 – The Coalition
- 2012 – Celebrity Ghost Stories as Herself
- 2012 – The First Family as Pauletta
- 2012 – Brother White (TV Movie) as Veena
- 2012 – Some Star...
- 2011 – Nurse Jackée (short)
- 2011 – Let's Stay Together (TV series) as Delores
- 2011 – The Ideal Husband (TV movie) as Vivian Peterson
- 2010 – Christmas Cupid (TV movie) as Vivian
- 2010 – Friends & Lovers (TV series) as Omar's Mother
- 2010 – The Clean Up Woman as Jasmine
- 2010 – Knight to D7 (short) as Nurse Hamilton
- 2006 – Everybody Hates Chris (TV series) as Vanessa (2006–09)
- 2009 – G.E.D. as Mama
- 2009 – Man of Her Dreams as Louise Smith
- 2008 – The Mighty B! (TV series) as Nurse (voice)
- 2007 – The Last Day of Summer (TV movie) as Lola The Lobster
- 2006 – All You've Got as Butt Short Salesman
- 2005 – One on One (TV series) as Sherri St. Croix
- 2005 – That's So Raven (TV series) as Dava
- 2004 – You Got Served as Mama
- 2003 – The Nick at Nite Holiday Special (TV movie) as Jackée, The Baker
- 2003 – 7th Heaven (TV series) as Ms. Beane
- 2000 – Twice in a Lifetime (TV series) as Darcy Green / Louise Lutrelle
- 1994 – Sister, Sister (TV series) as Lisa Landry (1994–99)
- 1996 – Unhappily Ever After (TV series) as Ms. Blake, guidance counselor
- 1995 – Happily Ever After – Fairy Tales for Every Child (TV series) as Giant's Wife (voice)
- 1994 – Dave's World (TV series) as Estelle
- 1993 – Living and Working in Space – The Countdown Has Begun (video) as Charmayne
- 1991 – The Royal Family (TV series) as Ruth 'CoCo' Royal (1991–92)
- 1992 – Designing Women (TV series) as Vanessa Chamberlain
- 1992 – Ladybugs as Julie Benson
- 1990 – We'll Take Manhattan (TV movie) as Yvonne
- 1990 – ABC TGIF (TV series) as Lisa
- 1988 – Amen (TV series) as Roxanne Farley / Florence Hawkins (1988–89)
- 1989 – The Reluctant Agent as Diner Waitress / FBI Agent
- 1989 – Double Your Pleasure (TV movie) as Linda Cavanaugh/Sharlene Cavanaugh
- 1989 – Jackée (TV movie) as Sandra Clark
- 1989 – The Women of Brewster Place (TV movie) as Etta Mae
- 1988 – Crash Course (TV movie) as Edna Savage
- 1988 – The Cheech Show (TV movie) as Sheila
- 1987 – Alf Loves a Mystery (TV movie) as Countess
- 1987 – The Incredible Ida Early (TV movie) as Ida Early
- 1985 – 227 (TV series) as Sandra Clark (1985–89)
- 1984 – The Cotton Club as Dancer
- 1984 – Moscow on the Hudson as Woman (uncredited)
- 1983 – Another World as Lily Mason (1983–86)
- "Jackée Harry Talks About Her Son Frank, Motherhood And Prioritizing Her Career". Huffington Post. February 26, 2014. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Fearn-Banks, Kathleen (2006). Historical dictionary of African-American television. Scarecrow Press. p. 185. ISBN 978-0-8108-5335-5.
- Jacobs, Damon L. (February 26, 2011). "Exclusive Interview: Jackee Harry's 'Ideal Husband'". We Love Soaps. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Littleton, Darryl J.; Littleton, Tuezdae (1 September 2012). Comediennes: Laugh Be a Lady. Applause Theatre & Cinema Books. p. 72. ISBN 978-1-4803-2974-4.
- Official website
- Jackée Harry at the Internet Movie Database
- Jackée Harry at the Internet Broadway Database
- Jackée Harry at AllMovie
- Jackée Harry on Twitter