August 23, 1954 |
Virginia, MN, USA
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
Minnesota Fighting Saints
New England Whalers
Minnesota North Stars
St. Louis Blues
|NHL Draft||117th overall, 1974
Detroit Red Wings
|WHA Draft||103rd overall, 1974
Minnesota Fighting Saints
Carlson played in the World Hockey Association with the Minnesota Fighting Saints, Edmonton Oilers and New England Whalers, and in the National Hockey League for the Minnesota North Stars and St. Louis Blues. He was a fan favorite with his hard-hitting style, piling up 1111 penalty minutes in 508 professional games.
Carlson's brothers Steve and Jeff are also former professional hockey players, and famous for roles in the movie Slap Shot as two of the Hanson Brothers. Jack was originally supposed to play the third brother; however, he was called up by the Edmonton Oilers just prior to shooting and was replaced by Dave Hanson.
Jack is a currently an acting referee and linesman for the Twin Cities AHA Hockey League.
|1974–75||Minnesota Fighting Saints||WHA||10||1||2||3||41|
|1976–77||New England Whalers||WHA||5||1||1||2||9|
|1977–78||New England Whalers||WHA||9||1||1||2||14|
|1980–81||Minnesota North Stars||NHL||15||1||2||3||50|
|1981–82||Minnesota North Stars||NHL||1||0||0||0||15|
|1982–83||St. Louis Blues||NHL||4||0||0||0||5|
|1983–84||St. Louis Blues||NHL||5||0||0||0||2|
|Major Leagues||WHA career totals (4 playoffs)||28||3||4||7||68|
|NHL career totals (4 playoffs)||25||1||2||3||72|
- Selected by Detroit Red Wings, 7th Round, #117 overall, 1974 NHL Amateur Draft.
- Selected by Minnesota Fighting Saints, 9th round, #132 overall 1974 WHA Amateur Draft.
- Signed as a free agent by Edmonton (WHA) after Minnesota (WHA) franchise folded, March 10, 1976.
- Claimed by Calgary (WHA) from Edmonton in 1976 WHA Intra-League Draft, June, 1976.
- Sold to Edmonton (WHA) by Minnesota (WHA) with Mike Antonovich, Bill Butters, Dave Keon, Jean-Louis Levasseur, Steve Carlson and John McKenzie for cash, January, 1977.
- Traded to New England (WHA) by Edmonton (WHA) with Dave Keon, Steve Carlson, Dave Dryden and John McKenzie for future considerations (Dave Debol, June, 1977), Dan Arndt and cash, January, 1977.
- Rights traded to Minnesota by Detroit for future considerations, July 27, 1978.
- Traded to Minnesota by New England (WHA) for future considerations, February 1, 1979.
- Missed entire 1979–80 season recovering from back surgery.
- Claimed by St. Louis from Minnesota in Waiver Draft, October 4, 1982.
- Signed as a free agent by Minnesota, November, 1986.