|Brian Jack Copeland|
|Residence||Christchurch, New Zealand|
|Institutions||University of Plymouth
University of Canterbury
|Alma mater||Corpus Christi College, Oxford|
|Doctoral advisor||Dana Scott|
|Known for||Study of Alan Turing.|
Jack Copeland is the Director of the Turing Archive for the History of Computing, an extensive online archive on the computing pioneer Alan Turing. He has also written and edited books on Turing. He is one of the people responsible for identifying the concept of hypercomputation and machines more capable than Turing machines.
Copeland has held visiting professorships at the University of Sydney, Australia (1997, 2002), the University of Aarhus, Denmark (1999), the University of Melbourne, Australia (2002, 2003), and the University of Portsmouth, United Kingdom (1997–2005). In 2000, he was a Senior Fellow in the Dibner Institute for the History of Science and Technology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States.
He is also President of the US Society for Machines and Mentality and a member of the UK Bletchley Park Trust Heritage Advisory Panel. He is the founding editor of The Rutherford Journal, established in 2005.
Copeland was awarded Lecturer of the Year 2010 by the University of Canterbury's student union, the UCSA.
- Artificial Intelligence: A Philosophical Introduction (Blackwell, 1993, 2nd edition due) ISBN 0-631-18385-X
- Logic and Reality Essays on the Legacy of Arthur Prior (Oxford University Press, 1996) ISBN 0-19-824060-0
- The Essential Turing (Oxford University Press, 2004) ISBN 0-19-825080-0
- Alan Turing’s Automatic Computing Engine: The Master Codebreaker's Struggle to Build the Modern Computer (Oxford University Press, 2005) ISBN 0-19-856593-3
- Colossus: The Secrets of Bletchley Park's Codebreaking Computers (Oxford University Press, 2006) ISBN 0-19-284055-X
- Jack Copeland at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "John Copeland". Mathematics Genealogy Project. North Dakota State University. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- Turing Archive for the History of Computing.
- Dibner Institute for the History of Science and Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA.
- Society for Machines and Mentality, USA.
- Home page
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server
|This biography of a British philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|