Jack Edwards Airport
|Jack Edwards Airport|
|NAIP aerial image, 2006|
|IATA: GUF – ICAO: KJKA – FAA LID: JKA|
|Owner||Gulf Shores Airport Authority|
|Serves||Gulf Shores, Alabama|
|Elevation AMSL||17 ft / 5 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Jack Edwards Airport (IATA: GUF, ICAO: KJKA, FAA LID: JKA) is a public use airport in Baldwin County, Alabama, United States. It is owned by Gulf Shores Airport Authority and located two nautical miles (4 km) north of the City of Gulf Shores. Also known as Jack Edwards National Airport, it is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a general aviation facility.
Although many U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, this airport is assigned JKA by the FAA and GUF by the IATA. The airport's ICAO identifier is KJKA.
Jack Edwards Airport was originally an outlying field for Naval Air Station Pensacola. The U.S. Navy sold it to the state of Alabama in 1977 and the new airport was named for U.S. Rep. Jack Edwards. In 1983 the state sold the airport to the city of Gulf Shores. A new terminal was built in 1998 and a runway extension was completed in 2003.
Facilities and aircraft
Jack Edwards Airport covers an area of 838 acres (339 ha) at an elevation of 17 feet (5 m) above mean sea level. It has two runways with asphalt surfaces: 9/27 is 6,962 by 100 feet (2,122 x 30 m) and 17/35 is 3,596 by 75 feet (1,096 x 23 m).
For the 12-month period ending February 20, 2009, the airport had 83,501 aircraft operations, an average of 228 per day: 97% general aviation and 3% military. At that time there were 69 aircraft based at this airport: 75% single-engine, 19% multi-engine, 3% jet, and 3% helicopter.
Airlines and destinations
Airline offering scheduled passenger service to non-stop destinations:
|Southern Airways Express||Birmingham (AL), Memphis-DeWitt Spain, Memphis-Olive Branch, New Orleans-Lakefront |
- FAA Airport Master Record for JKA ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (GUF – City: Gulf Shores, Airport: Edwards)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- "Jack Edwards National Airport". Official site. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- "Jack Edwards Airport (IATA: GUF, ICAO: KJKA, FAA: JKA)". Great Circle Mapper. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- "Route Map: Summer 2013". Southern Airways Express. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- "Timetable". Southern Airways Express. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- Jack Edwards National Airport, official site
- Gulf Air Center and Ferguson Air Services, the fixed base operators (FBOs)
- Aerial image as of February 1997 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for JKA, effective October 16, 2014
- Resources for this airport: