|Full name||John Lucas McBean|
|Date of birth||December 15, 1994|
|Place of birth||Newport Beach, California, United States|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Current club||Los Angeles Galaxy|
|2009-2011||Los Angeles Galaxy|
|2011–||Los Angeles Galaxy||9||(2)|
|2011||United States U17||10||(0)|
|2012–||United States U18||2||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of April 27, 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Life and career
McBean, a California native, formally signed for LA Galaxy at the age of 16 in April 2011. As of July 2011, he is the youngest player to have signed for the club in its history. He previously played for the LA Galaxy under-16s and, prior to that, Slammers FC and Corona del Mar High School.
He made his first appearance for the club in a friendly match against Manchester City on 24 July 2011, coming on as a 66th minute substitute for teammate Miguel Pedro López. The Los Angeles Times noted that he "quickly provided a threat" after appearing, while Fox Sports West stated that he "immediately made an impact" in the game. The match finished 1-1, but included a penalty shootout. Manchester City won the shootout 7-6, with McBean having his penalty saved by goalkeeper Joe Hart. On October 23, 2011 McBean played his first league game against Houston Dynamo getting the start, and subsequently scored.
McBean has represented his country of birth at the under-17 age level. He played for the United States under-17s in the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup, in which the US reached the round of 16, and in the 2011 CONCACAF U-17 Championship, in which the US were champions.
McBean has a Scottish father and is eligible to play for the senior national teams of the United States and Scotland. In June 2011, Scotland manager Craig Levein confirmed that he has instructed his chief scout, Michael Oliver, to continue a dialogue with the player and his parents to determine his interest in representing Scotland in future. As of summer 2011, he has yet to confirm long-term allegiance to either country.
- Winner: 2011 CONCACAF U-17 Championship
Los Angeles Galaxy
- "LA Galaxy sign Jack McBean as home grown player". Los Angeles Galaxy. 14 April 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "Jack McBean history and profile". Los Angeles Galaxy. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "Los Angeles(6)1 - 1(7) Manchester City". ESPN Soccernet. 24 July 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "No Landon Donovan means Newport Beach's Jack McBean gets in game". Los Angeles Times. 24 July 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "16-year-old McBean makes debut for Galaxy". Fox Sports West. 24 July 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "Jack McBean profile". soccerway.com. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "Jack McBean goes 90, U.S. reaches final". ESPN Los Angeles. 25 February 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "Jack McBean FIFA tournament record". FIFA.com. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "Scotland's Craig Levein confirms Jack McBean interest". BBC Sport. 13 June 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Craig Levein wants US hitkid Jack McBean to play for Scotland". The Sunday Mail. 12 June 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "Jack the lad for Levein! Scotland manager eyes Los Angeles Galaxy kid McBean". The Daily Mail. 12 June 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "U.S. U-17 forward Jack McBean refuses to commit to USA or Scotland". Yahoo! Sports. 13 July 2011. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- "Jack McBean won't rule out Scotland call-up". The Away End. 29 August 2011. Retrieved 31 August 2011.