|Written by||Paul Tanter
|Music by||David Beard|
|Editing by||Paula Baker|
|Distributed by||Aspect Film
|Running time||88 minutes|
Jack Says is a 2008 British thriller film known particularly for being the last professional engagement of Mike Reid, who died shortly after filming in 2007. The film is a contemporary film noir, with comic book undertones that reflect its precursor graphic novel Jack Said, and is comparable in style to Sin City. The film also stars Simon Phillips, Rita Ramnani, Daniel Roberts, Rula Lenska and Eric Cantona.
Waking up in London with amnesia next to a dead body, Jack has just enough time and sense to disappear before the police arrive. In an attempt to lie low, he heads to Paris to visit the ex he can’t remember. But a guy like Jack attracts trouble, and an encounter with the mysterious Girl X draws him and the woman he loves back into a world he’s trying hard to avoid … and to remember.
Directed by Bob Phillips, the film was produced by Lucky Strike Productions & Kalimasu Productions. The Director of Photography was Bob Komar. The screenplay was written by Paul Tanter and Film editing was by Paula Baker.
The music is created by film composer David Beard with additional music by Lee Miller, Louise Heaney, Mike Watts, Dan Marfisi, Matt Perry and John Harvey.
- Simon Phillips as Jack
- Rula Lenska as Garvey
- Eric Cantona as Man at Bar
- Ashlie Walker as Natalie
- Mike Reid as The Guv'nor
- Aurélie Amblard as Girl X
- Rita Ramnani as Erin
- Danny Idollor as Twinkle
- Charlie Palmer as Dr. Matt Poulton
- Christopher Fosh as Dave (Heavy #2)
- Forbes KB as Ozzy (Heavy #1)
- Phil Pritchard as French Detective
It has been screened at, nominated for, and won awards at numerous UK and international film festivals. The film was released on DVD on 22 September 2008. It has been followed by the sequel films Jack Said and Jack Falls.
Graphic Novel prequel
A prequel story to the film is available as a graphic novel. Titled Jack Said (ISBN 978-0-9556927-0-3), it details the events leading up to the beginning of the Jack Says film. The graphic novel is written by Paul Tanter and illustrated by Oscar Alvarado.
- zavvi.co.uk, Retrieved 12-21-2008
- filmannex.com, Retrieved 12-21-2008
- festivalfocus.org, Retrieved 12-21-2008
- London Independent Film Festival
- Glasgow Bootleg Film Festival[dead link]
- New York B Movie Festival[dead link]
- Swansea International Film Festival
- britflicks.com, Retrieved 12-21-2008