|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (April 2014)|
Jack Schwarz in 1992
April 26, 1924|
|Died||November 26, 2000
|Residence||Grants Pass, Or|
Jack Schwarz, N.D. (April 26, 1924 - November 26, 2000), a pioneer in holistic health education, was a naturopath, minister, author, humanitarian, and philosopher. His long career concentrated on integrating the whole person in body, brain, mind, and spirit.
Born Jacob Schwarz in Dordrecht, Holland, in 1924, he distinguished himself as an internationally recognized authority on voluntary controls of internal states, and human energy systems. He was a subject, researcher, and consultant at major biomedical and life science research centers in the United States and Europe. Schwarz lectured and taught extensively, was named in many publications and published nine books (Ostrander & Schroeder, 1974), (Regush and Merta, 1975), (Regush, 1977), (Meek, 1977), (Jaffe, 1980), (Zusne and Jones, 1982).
Mind Over Body
He was studied by researchers at the Menninger Foundation, demonstrating the power of the mind over the body by putting a long sail-maker's needle through his biceps with no resultant bleeding (Green & Green, 1977). He reported his ability to see auras and rays associated with individuals (Krippner & Rubin, 1974). He maintained that what others had accomplished through biofeedback or yoga he was able to do through his self-created meditation practices (Grof, 1984), (Klimo, 1987), (Leigh, 1987), (Svoboda, 1987), (Gunther, 1978). Results of tests performed on Schwarz documented his abilities to self-regulate many psychophysiological processes (Pelletier, 1977). Schwarz explained that by voluntarily attaining specific brain wave states, he could control the pain of physical trauma, regulate blood flow, blood pressure, and heart rate (Patten & Patten, 1988), (Carlson & Shield, 1989), (Boyd, 1989), (Grof. & Bennett, 1990), (Talbot, 1991). Readings charted by an electroencephalograph confirmed that the electrical output of his brain had a different amplitude and voltage than other research subjects (Green, 2001). Experiments demonstrated his ability to heal his body within hours after it was injured, and be unaffected by toxic substances injected into his body (Pelletier, 1978), (Ostrander & Schroeder, 1991), (Andrews, 1992). He devoted his life to teaching others how to develop optimal states of health (Mishlove, Intuition Television), (Andrews, 1993), (Robbins, 2000).
12 years of military service in the Dutch Army. Was in the Dutch underground during WW2 and served in Indonesia. He ended his military career with the rank of Sergeant.
Lois A Scheller Schwarz, Jack's wife, is currently writing a biography of his life. (The Daily Courier, 2006).
Aletheia Foundation was founded in 1958 by Jack Schwarz and others, as a non-profit organization dedicated to self-health research and education. Aletheia's programs aim to synthesize the findings of science, and the revelations of spirituality.
Jack and his wife have a website at http://www.holisticu.org/
"All of your body is in your mind, but not all of your mind is in your body."
— Jack Schwarz
- Krippner, Stanley & Rubin, Daniel, editors (1974). The Kirlian Aura: Photographing the Galaxies of Life, Garden City, NY: Anchor Books, p. 164. ISBN 0-385-06574-4
- Ostrander, S. & Schroeder, L. (1974). Handbook of Psi Discoveries, Berkley Publishing Corp., pp. 68, 74, 75.
- Ostrander, S. & Schroeder, L. (1974). Handbook of Psychic Discoveries, Berkley Medallion, pp. 52, 53, 57, 58.
- Regush, N. M., and Merta, J. (1975). Exploring the Human Aura, Prentice Hall, pp. 98.
- Green, Elmer and Green, Alyce (1977). Beyond Biofeedback, New York, NY: Delacorte Press, pp. 62, 196, 263, 325, 225-41. ISBN 978-0-440-00583-4
- Regush, N. ed. (1977). Frontiers of Healing, Avon Publication of Bard Camelot & Discus Books, pp. 29–32.
- Meek, G. W., ed. (1977). Healers and the Healing Process, The Theosophical Publishing House, p. 224.
- Pelletier, Kenneth (1977). Mind As Healer, Mind As Slayer, New York, NY: Delta Books, p. 32. ISBN 0-440-55592-2
- Pelletier, Kenneth (1978). Toward a Science of Consciousness, New York, NY: Delta Books, p. 145. ISBN 0-440-58640-2
- Jaffe, D.T. (1980). Healing From Within, Simon and Schuster, Inc., p. 201.
- Zusne, L and Jones, W.H. (1982). Anomalistic psychology, Laurence Erlbaum Assoc., pp. 44.
- Grof, Stan (1984). Ancient Wisdom and Modern Science, New York, NY: State University N.Y. Press, pp. 250–251.
- Klimo, J. (1987). Channeling, J. P. Tarcher, pp. 125, 267-268.
- Leigh, W.S. (1987). A Zen Approach to Body Therapy, The Institute of Zen Studies, p. xiii.
- Svoboda, T. (1984). Das Hypnose Buch, Kosek Verlag, pp. 101, 218.
- Gunther, B. (1978). Energy Ecstasy, The Guild of Tudors Press, pp. 1.
- Mishlove, Jeffrey (approx. 1980). "Conversation with Ken Pelletier" in Thinking Allowed, Conversations On the Leading Edge of Knowledge and Discovery, The Intuition Television Network (http://www.intuition.org/txt/pelletie.htm)
- Patten, L. and Patten, T. (1988). Biocircuits, H.J. Kramer, Inc., pp. 61.
- Carlson, R & Shield, B., ed. (1989). Healers and the Healing Process, J. P. Tarcher, pp. 18–21.
- Boyd, D. (1989). Mystics, Magicians and Medicine People, Paragon House, pp. 145–148.
- Grof, S. & Bennett, H.Z. (1990). The Holotropic Mind, Harper San Francisco, pp. 139, 146, 194, 195.
- Talbot, M. (1991). The Holographic Universe, Harper Collins, pp. 102–3.
- Ostrander, S. & Schroeder, L. (1991). Supermemory, Carroll & Graf Publishing, Inc., pp. 69–70, 218, 229, 314, 321, 327, 337.
- Andrews, T. (1992). How to Heal With Color, Llewellyn, p. 200.
- Andrews, T. (1993). How to See and Read the Aura, Llewellyn, p. 141.
- Robbins, Jim (2000). Anomalistic Psychology, Atlantic Monthly Press, pp. 68–69.
- Green, E. (2001). The Ozawkie Book of the Dead, The Philosophical Research Society, pp. 179, 203, 265-266, 276, 283, 478.
- Staff Writer. "Dutch Veterans Welcome Local Woman Writing Biography of Husband", Grants Pass, Oregon: The Daily Courier, Friday, Dec. 15, 2006.
- Schwarz, Jack (1977). The Path of Action, New York, NY: E.P.Dutton. ISBN 0-14-019356-1
- Schwarz, Jack (1978). Voluntary Controls, New York, NY: E. P. Dutton. ISBN 0-525-47494-3
- Schwarz, Jack (1980). Human Energy Systems, New York, NY: E.P. Dutton. ISBN 0-525-47556-7
- Schwarz, Jack (1988). It's Not What You Eat, But What Eats You!, Berkeley, CA: Celestial Arts. ISBN 0-89087-527-8
- Schwarz, Jack (1992). I Know from My Heart, Berkeley, CA: Celestial Arts. ISBN 0-89087-665-7
- Schwarz, Jack (1996). How to Master the Art of Personal Health, Grants Pass, OR: Schwarz Publishing. ISBN 1-887417-00-1
- Schwarz, Jack (1996). Finding the Jewel in the Molasses: Denial of Spirit , Grants Pass, OR: Schwarz Publishing. ISBN 1-887417-00-1
- Schwarz, Jack & Ingram, Don. (1999). Captain Jutta's Remarkable Journey, Grants Pass, OR: Schwarz Publishing. ISBN 1-887417-02-8
- Schwarz, Jack (2000). The Jack Schwarz Method of Autogenics, Grants Pass, OR: Schwarz Publishing. ISBN 1-887417-03-6
Selected Papers and Tapes
- Schwarz, Jack (1972). Integral Self-Healing , Big Sur, CA: Esalen Audiotape 07901
- Schwarz, Jack (1992). The Mind Body Connection (audiotape), Grants Pass, OR: Schwarz Publishing.
- Schwarz, Jack "The Human Aura," Proceedings of the 4th Conference on the Voluntary Control of Internal States, Council Grove, Kansas, April 1972.
- Schwarz, Jack (1992). Beyond Biofeedback:The Yoga of the West, showing research at Menninger Foundation (videotape), Grants Pass, OR: Schwarz Publishing.
- Jack Schwarz Biography
- Excerpt from It's Not What You Eat, But What Eats You
- Report on Jack Schwarz' work