|Full name||Jack David Shantry|
29 January 1988 |
Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England
|Bowling style||Left-arm medium|
|Relations||Adam Shantry (brother)
Brian Shantry (father)
|Domestic team information|
|2009–||Worcestershire (squad no. 11)|
|FC debut||25 August 2009 Worcestershire v Nottinghamshire|
|LA debut||23 August 2009 Worcestershire v Essex|
|Source: CricketArchive, 28 February 2014|
Shantry played for Shropshire Under-17s as early as July 2004, scoring 64 at the top of the order against Yorkshire Under-17s. He made several further appearances for Shropshire Under-17s, and also played for Shrewsbury Cricket Club, appearing in the Cockspur Cup and making an appearance against Kidderminster Victoria in the Birmingham and District Premier League.
In 2007 and 2008, Shantry progressed to a mixture of senior cricket at minor counties level with Shropshire County Cricket Club and Second XI cricket for Worcestershire. He took 7/34 for Worcestershire Second XI against Leicestershire II in June 2008, and scored 88 for Shropshire against Wales Minor Counties in August of the same year. Between these two feats, in July, he had appeared for Shropshire in the final of the Resource Bank Twenty20 Cup, which they lost to a star-studded Lashings World XI side despite Shantry's 3/11.
Shantry made his senior debut for Worcestershire in a Pro40 match against Essex at Colchester on 23 August 2009, taking the wicket of Ravi Bopara and not batting. Two days later, he made his maiden appearance in first-class cricket when he was selected for Worcestershire's County Championship clash with Nottinghamshire at New Road. In a drawn game, Shantry claimed the wickets of Bilal Shafayat and Mark Ealham, but was lbw for nought in his only innings. He retained his place in the side in both one-day and four-day cricket, and so his club cricket appearances, now for Walsall, became less frequent.
Shantry pressed his claims for a regular place in the side in his first game of the 2010 season, a non-first-class warm-up match against Bradford/Leeds UCCE. He claimed 5–18 in the first innings, and opened the bowling in the second innings, taking a wicket with the first ball of the innings and finishing with 7–47, to complete a match haul of 12 wickets for 65. Worcestershire went on to win the game.
- "Shropshire Under-17s v Yorkshire Under-17s in 2004". CricketArchive. Retrieved 17 September 2009.
- "Birmingham and District Premier League Matches played by Jack Shantry". CricketArchive. Retrieved 17 September 2009.
- "Worcestershire Second XI v Leicestershire Second XI in 2008". CricketArchive. Retrieved 17 September 2009.
- "Wales Minor Counties v Shropshire in 2008". CricketArchive. Retrieved 17 September 2009.
- "Shropshire v Lashings World XI in 2008". CricketArchive. Retrieved 17 September 2009.
- "Essex v Worcestershire in 2009". CricketArchive. Retrieved 17 September 2009.
- "Worcestershire v Nottinghamshire in 2009". CricketArchive. Retrieved 17 September 2009.
- In May 2010 he took his first first-class five wickets in an innings, recording 5–49 against Leicestershire at Grace Road. "Worcestershire v Bradford/Leeds UCCE in 2010". CricketArchive. 15 April 2010.