Jack Stephens (footballer)
|Full name||Jack Stephens|
|Date of birth||27 January 1994|
|Place of birth||Torpoint, England|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Current club||Swindon Town
(on loan from Southampton)
|2014–||→ Swindon Town (loan)||6||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:00, 13 April 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Jack Stephens (born 27 January 1994) is an English footballer who plays as a defender for Swindon Town on loan from Southampton. Born in Torpoint, he began his career as a youth player with Plymouth Argyle, remaining with the club as a professional until 2011. Primarily a right back, Stephens can also operate as a left back, centre back, or in a defensive midfielder role, and has played internationally for the England under-18 and under-19 sides.
Born in Torpoint, Stephens attended Torpoint Community College, and joined Plymouth Argyle in 2005 at the age of 11. He progressed to the club's youth team in 2009 after a number of impressive performances in the junior section of the Milk Cup. He was then promoted to the club's reserve team, having appeared regularly in the Youth Alliance. Stephens began training with the club's first team in September 2010 and was included in an 18-man squad for their league match against Sheffield Wednesday. He made his debut as a late substitute in a 3–2 win for Argyle. Primarily a right back, Stephens can play in a variety of positions. "Jack is a right-back but he can play in the centre as well. He's comfortable in both positions," said John James, the club's youth development officer. "I like him at right-back because he does get forward well, he's quick, he likes to take people on and he's a good header of the ball. He's a big lad – 6ft 1in I think – and he's still growing."
He joined Southampton on 5 April 2011 for a fee of £150,000, signing an initial three-year contract, and was placed in the club's development squad. Stephens made his first-team debut for Southampton in a 2–1 FA Cup win against Coventry City on 7 January 2012, coming on as a second-half substitute for Dan Harding. In 2012 he was promoted to the first team ahead of the clubs return to the Premier league.
Swindon Town (loan)
Stephens received his first call-up for the England under-18 side for a match against Poland in March 2012, playing the first half of the 3–0 win at Crewe Alexandra home ground Alexandra Stadium. Later in the year he made the step up to the under-19 team, making his debut on 26 September in a 3–0 win over Estonia in the qualifying stages of the 2013 European Championships, playing the full 90 minutes. He later played 45 minutes of the 6–0 win over the Faroe Islands on 28 September (after which he was replaced by fellow Southampton player Calum Chambers, who scored the sixth goal), the full 90 minutes of the 1–1 draw with Ukraine on 1 October, and the first half of the 13 November 1–0 friendly win over Finland which also featured Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse.
- As of match played 5 April 2014.
|Club||Season||Division||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Plymouth Argyle||2010–11||League One||5||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||6||0|
|Swindon Town (loan)||2013–14||League One||5||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||5||0|
- "Premier League Clubs Submit Squad Lists". Premier League. 26 September 2012. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- Glenda Rollin; Jack Rollin, eds. (2012). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2012–2013 (43rd ed.). London: Headline. p. 531. ISBN 978-0-7553-6356-8.
- "Jack Stephens profile". Plymouth Argyle F.C. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- "Youth profiles". Plymouth Argyle F.C. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- "Mackie gets his wish". Western Morning News. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- "Jack's jump". Plymouth Argyle F.C. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- "Stephens wins first team call up". The Plymouth Herald. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- "Plymouth 3–2 Sheff Wed". BBC Sport. Retrieved 18 September 2010.
- "Icing on the cake". Plymouth Argyle F.C. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- "More young guns to come at Argyle". The Plymouth Herald. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- "List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/04/2011 and 30/04/2011" (PDF). The Football Association. Retrieved 8 January 2012.
- "Saints Sign Jack Stephens". Southampton F.C. 5 April 2011. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- "Coventry 1–2 Southampton". BBC Sport. 7 January 2012. Retrieved 8 January 2012.
- "Southampton promote academy quartet to first team squad". BBC Sport. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "Saint Joins On Loan". Swindon Town FC. 13 March 2014.
- "Jack Stephens". England Players (The Football Association). Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "England v Poland". England Under-18s Results (The Football Association). Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "England v Estonia". England Under-19s Results (The Football Association). Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "Faroe Islands v England". England Under-19s Results (The Football Association). Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "England v Ukraine". England Under-19s Results (The Football Association). Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "England v Finland". England Under-19s Results (The Football Association). Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- Jack Stephens career stats at Soccerbase