Jack Tar Hotels
Jack Tar Hotels was a major hotel chain in the United States until 1997, when they were sold to Allegro. The sale included ownership of a resort and casino in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, and assume two leases for resorts in Montego Bay, Jamaica, and Cancun, Mexico. Allegro also acquired management contracts for two resorts in Guanacaste Province, Costa Rica, and a marketing and franchise agreement for a St. Kitts resort."
A 400-room Jack Tar Hotel in San Francisco occupied a full city block at the intersection of Geary Boulevard and Van Ness Avenue. When built in 1960 it was considered one of the most luxurious hotels in the city, although it was criticized by Herb Caen and others for its modern architecture, which they considered ugly. Part of the movie The Conversation takes places there. In 1973, the jury in the trial of Ruchell Magee was sequestered at the Jack Tar Hotel. In 1982, after major renovations, it became the Cathedral Hill Hotel. A major fire occurred in December 1983, causing the hotel to rebuild again. The hotel finally closed on October 30, 2009 and was demolished in November 2013 to make way for an expansion of California Pacific Medical Center.
There was a 225-room Jack Tar Hotel in Galveston, Texas.
- "EH Hunt Of Jack Tar Hotel Chain". St. Petersburg Times. February 14, 1966. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- Long, E. John (December 4, 1960). "A City-in-the-Making in the Bahamas". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- "Jack Tar Hotel Chain Takes Over Key Colony Resort". Chicago Tribune. March 13, 1955. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- Allegro to Acquire Jack Tar Village Resorts.
- "Magee Mistrial—Jury Talks of the Deadlock". San Francisco Chronicle. April 4, 1973. p. 1. Retrieved July 9, 2010.
- Justin Berti (7 January 2011). "Hotel Becomes Hospital". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Carl Noltei (2013-11-19). "End of line for S.F.'s infamous Jack Tar Hotel". SFGate. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
|This article about a hotel or resort in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|