Jack W. Hayford
|Jack Williams Hayford|
June 25, 1934 |
Los Angeles, California
|Other names||Pastor Jack|
|Education||B.A. Life Pacific College
B.A. Azusa Pacific University
Hon.D.D. Oral Roberts University,
D.D. California Graduate School of Theology
Hon.D.Th, Life Pacific College
|Congregations served||The Church On The Way 1969-1999|
|Offices held||(Former) President, International Church of the Foursquare Gospel
(Current) Chancellor, The King's University
|Title||Dr. Jack Hayford|
Jack Williams Hayford (/ /; born June 25, 1934) is an American author, Pentecostal minister, and Chancellor of The King's University (formerly The King's College and Seminary). He is the founding pastor of The Church On The Way in Van Nuys and was the fourth President of the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel from 2004 to 2008.
While working on his second bachelor's degree at Azusa Pacific University, Hayford, on a temporary basis, began pastoring a small congregation, the First Foursquare Church of Van Nuys, (the name later was changed to "The Church On the Way"), where he wound up serving as the senior pastor from 1969 to 1999. The church has subsequently become numbered among the largest churches in America, and particularly, the Foursquare denomination, reporting membership exceeding 10,000.
Hayford is a graduate of L.I.F.E. Bible College (now Life Pacific College), where he served as dean of students, and Azusa Pacific University. He is widely known for his past involvement in the Promise Keepers movement, his role as founder and chancellor of The King's University, initiator of the Day of Prayer for the Peace of Jerusalem, and for being a prolific author and song-writer, with over 600 hymns and choruses in his catalog. He is the author of the popular 1978 hymn "Majesty", which is rated as one of the top 100 contemporary hymns, performed and sung in churches worldwide. In 1995, he recorded Men In Worship, under the Hosanna! Music label, with 1500 men.
Jack Williams Hayford was born on June 25, 1934 to Jack and Dolores Hayford, who had married two years earlier on September 28, 1932. Hayford was born with a muscular condition in his neck, however his condition improved. His parents were a bit confounded by their son's improvement. They later learned that a relative had called a Foursquare prayer line and asked for prayer for their son, which inspired the family to begin attending the local Foursquare church.
When the family moved to Oakland, California, young Jack and his siblings went to a church of another denomination. While Hayford's father attended church the first four years of Hayford's life, he stopped attending church, due to his lifestyle of drinking and smoking, which was not well received in the church. Hayford's mother, Dolores, stayed home with her husband, sending her children to church without her. His parents later returned to church, when Hayford was 14. Although Hayford's parents did not attend church during this brief time, Hayford has upheld his parents for providing him with a Christian upbringing.
In 1952, Hayford returned to Los Angeles to attend L.I.F.E. Bible College (now known as Life Pacific College). In 1969, during his fifth year as dean of students at L.I.F.E, Hayford was asked to pastor a small congregation, the first Foursquare Church of Van Nuys, California, a struggling congregation of only 18 members, with an average age of 65 years.
While Hayford had initially agreed to pastor the church for only a period of six months, he later felt compelled to remain on a permanent basis. Only a few weeks from accepting an offer to pastor another Foursquare church, Hayford met with Foursquare denomination president, Rolf McPherson, stating that he wanted to remain with the Van Nuys congregation. By the early 1980s, The Church On The Way became a pioneer of the megachurch movement.
In 1999, Hayford resigned his role as the senior pastor of The Church On The Way, naming his son-in-law, Scott Bauer as successor. Bauer served as the church's senior pastor until 2003, when he suffered a fatal brain aneurysm. Hayford returned to temporarily serve as the church's senior pastor for a year, eventually installing Jim and Alice Tolle as his successors on April 4, 2004. Tolle served as senior pastor for six years, resigning in November, 2010. In January, 2012, Ricky Temple was installed by Hayford as his third successor as the Senior Pastor of The Church On The Way. Temple resigned in December, 2013.
Hayford had upper spinal (neck) surgery in July 2011, causing him to curtail his otherwise aggressive travel and speaking schedule.
Jack Hayford is the son of Jack and Dolores Hayford, Sr. His father had served in the military as a young man  and served as a switchman for the Southern Pacific Railroad. Hayford's mother, Dolores, was a Bible teacher who spoke at interdenominational women's classes and Women's Aglow Fellowship (now Aglow International). She died on October 31, 1997 of cancer.
- Marriage and children
Hayford and wife, Anna, were married in 1954. They have four children and 11 grandchildren.
Daughter Rebecca Hayford Bauer is a Gold Medallion author, who has written several books, including a 2011 release co-written with her father. She was married to Scott Bauer for 27 years, before his sudden death in 2003, while he was serving as senior pastor of The Church On The Way. She and Scott have three children. She resigned her position at the Church on the Way in 2008 to pursue other interests.
Hayford's oldest son and second child, Jack W. Hayford III is married to Joann Loika Hayford and works as a chemical engineer in the Eastern United States. He and Joann have two children. Jack holds masters degrees in Chemistry and theology. Jack was a significant contributor to the Spirit Filled Bible under the general editorship of his father.
Son Mark, the third Hayford child, is married to Darci Lingenfelser Hayford and is seeking new employment on the west coast of the United States. Mark has three children from his first marriage and a step son from Darci's previous marriage. Mark has served as a pastor, missionary and chaplain for over 25 years and also holds a masters degree in distance education. He too has co-written a book with his father.
Christa Hayford Andersen, the youngest Hayford child, is married to Pastor Doug Andersen and they have three children. She is an ordained Foursquare minister and assists her husband in his role as senior pastor of The Church On The Way, Santa Clarita, established in 2008, when the North Campus of the Van Nuys congregation was established as a free-standing Foursquare Church. Christa is also an author.
Honors and awards
- Pastor of the Year Angel Award (1985)
- Religious Heritage of America’s California Community Award (1988)
- Alumnus of the Year, Azusa Pacific University (1997)
- Devries Award, MusiCalifornia (1998)
- World Changers Award for Lifetime Achievement (with Anna), Foursquare Women International (1998)
- Gold Medallion (from Evangelical Publishers Association, for Spirit-Filled Study Guides)
- Gold Medallion Nomination (for book, Moments With Majesty)
- Clergyman of the Year
- Recipient of Billy Graham Association's Decision Magazine Hymn Writer's Competition, "We Lift Our Voice Rejoicing", being selected from more than 900 international entries
- The Gospel Music Association's Dove Award for his part in the album, God With Us
- William Booth Award
- "The church on the way" (Chosen Books,1982)
- Newborn: Alive in Christ, the Savior (Living Way Ministries, 1984)
- Stepping Up in Faith (Living Way Ministries, 1984)
- Daybreak: Walking Daily in Christ's Presence (Living Way Ministries, 1984)
- Spirit-Filled: Anointed by Christ the King (Living Way Ministries, 1984)
- Rebuilding the Real You (Regal Books, 1986)
- Early Flight: Healing Hope for Parents of the Stillborn, Miscarried or Aborted (Living Way Ministries, 1986)
- Prayer Is Invading the Impossible (Ballantine Books, 1987)
- Restoring Fallen Leaders (Regal Books, 1988)
- Taking Hold of Tomorrow: Realizing God's Promise for a Bright and Hopeful Future (Regal Books, 1989)
- I'll Hold You in Heaven: Healings and Hope for the Parent of a Miscarried, Aborted, or Stillborn Child (Regal Books, 1990)
- The gifts of the spirit (Creation House, 1992)
- A Man's Starting Place (Living Way Ministries, 1992)
- Living the Spirit Filled Life (Thomas Nelson, 1992)
- The Heart of Praise: Daily Ways to Worship the Father with Psalms (Regal Books, 1992)
- A Man's Confidence (Living Way Ministries, 1992)
- A Man's Walk with God (Living Way Ministries, 1993)
- A Man's Image & Identity (Living Way Ministries, 1993)
- A Man's Integrity (Living Way Ministries, 1993)
- A Man's Worship & Witness (Living Way Ministries, 1993)
- The Power and Blessing (Victor Books, 1994)
- Ten Steps Toward Saving America (Living Way Ministries, 1994)
- The Mary Miracle (Regal Books, 1994)
- Glory on Your House (Chosen Books, 2005)
- The Way Demon Angels Trick, Trap, & Trample (Living Way Ministries, 1995)
- Glorious Morning: An Invitation to Resurrection Praise (Multnomah Publishers, 1996)
- Growing in the Holy Spirit: Letting the Holy Spirit Take You to New Heights in Your Relationship with God (Gospel Light Publications, 1996)
- Loving Your City into the Kingdom: City-Reaching Strategies for a 21St-Century Revival (Regal Books, 1997)
- Pastors of Promise: Pointing to Character and Hope As the Keys to Fruitful Shepherding (Regal Books, 1998)
- Pastors of Passion (Gospel Light Publications, 1999)
- The Christmas Miracle: Experience the Blessing (Regal Books, 1999)
- Celebrate! Daily Devotions for the Spirit-Filled Life (Thomas Nelson, 1999)
- Death unto Life; The Milton Ellithorpe Story (Living Way Ministries, 2000)
- Worship His Majesty: How Praising the King of Kings Will Change Your Life (Gospel Light Publications, 2000)
- The Uniqueness of Christ: Glimpses Into the Glories of Our Savior (Living Way Ministries, 2000)
- The Finger of God (Living Way Ministries, 2000)
- Living the Spirit Formed Life (Regal Books, 2001)
- The Leading Edge : Keys to Sharpen Your Effectiveness As a Leader (Charisma House, 2001)
- Blessing Your Children: How You Can Love the Kids in Your Life (Regal Books, 2002)
- Grounds for Living (Chosen Books, 2003)
- I'll Hold You in Heaven (Regal Books, 2003)
- The Power of Praying Together: Where Two or More Are Gathered (Harvest House Publishers, 2003)
- Worship (Biblical Truth Simply Explained) (Chosen Books, 2003)
- The Trinity (Biblical Truth Simply Explained) (Chosen Books, 2003)
- New Spirit-Filled Life Bible : Kingdom Equipping Through the Power of the Word (Nelson Bibles, 2004)
- Fatal Attractions (Sexual Integrity) (Gospel Light Publications, 2004)
- The Anatomy Of Seduction (Sexual Integrity) (Regal Books, 2004)
- Living in the Kingdom (Spirit-Filled Life Study Guide Series) (Nelson Impact, 2005)
- Life-Giving Leadership (Spirit-Filled Life Study Guide Series) (Nelson Impact, 2005)
- Divine Visitor (Integrity Publishers, 2005)
- The Reward of Worship (Chosen Books, 2005)
- Spirit-filled Life Bible For Students Growing In The Power Of The Word (Nelson Bibles, 2005)
- The Heart of Praise: Worship After God's Own Heart (Regal Books, 1995)
- Sex and the Single Soul: Guarding Your Heart and Mind in a World of Empty Promises (Sexual Integrity) (Regal Books, 2005)
- The Charismatic Century : The Enduring Impact of the Azusa Street Revival (Warner Faith, 2006)
- Rebuilding The Real You (Charisma House, 2009)
- Praying For Those You Love (Chosen Books, 2009)
- Penetrating the Darkness: Discovering the Power of the Cross Against Unseen Evil (Chosen Books, 2011)
- Bessman, Jim. "Words & Music: Brentwood/Benson Gets Songs by Hayford" Billboard, November 10, 2001, Vol. 113, No. 45, page 58. ISSN 0006-2510
- "‘A Pastor’s Pastor’ Church On the Way Founder Jack Hayford is a Quiet Force Among Nation’s Evangelicals". Los Angeles Daily News. 4 January 2007. Retrieved 22 July 2009.
- Jakes, T.D.; Jack Hayford (2006). Mama Made the Difference. G.P. Putnam’s Sons. pp. 157–167. ISBN 0-399-15363-2.
- "Double Coup for Foursquare". The Seattle Times. July 20, 1996. Retrieved 22 July 2009.
- Stafford, Tim (July 2005). "The Pentecostal Gold Standard". Christianity Today. Retrieved 22 July 2009.
- "Senior Pastor of The Church on the Way Dies". Charisma (magazine). 30 November 2003. Retrieved 15 July 2009.
- "News Briefs". Charisma (magazine). May 31, 2004. Retrieved 2009-07-22.
- Young, Eric (May 27, 2009). "Foursquare Church President Hayford Will Not Seek 2nd Term". Christian Post. Retrieved 23 July 2009.
- "Dove Awards History Artist: Jack Hayford". Gospel Music Association. Retrieved 2009-07-22.[dead link]
- "The Salvation Army Honors Dr. Jack Hayford, Martha Williamson, A.C. Green, Paul J. Orfalea and Esther L. Snyder at the 43rd Annual Sally Awards Gala". Business Wire. 29 November 2001. Retrieved 2009-07-22.
- Garcia, Shelly. 12 People Who Make Things Happen in Valley: Dr. Jack Hayford. San Fernando Valley Business Journal. October 11, 2004. Accessed August 8, 2009.
- Jack Hayford's ministry website
- Jack Hayford on Daystar Television
- Biography of Jack Hayford Biography of Jack Hayford at The Church On The Way's website
- "The Pentecostal Gold Standard" article recognizing 50 years of ministry in Christianity Today Magazine, July 2005, Vol. 49, No. 7
- "Pastor Puts Energy Into Mentors" Article by the Los Angeles Times
- "A Pastor's Pastor" Los Angeles Daily News
- Living Way with Jack Hayford Official Broadcast
- Home Page of Cleansing Stream Ministries under the covering of Pastor Jack Hayford