|42nd Los Angeles District Attorney|
December 3, 2012
|Preceded by||Steve Cooley|
February 27, 1957 |
Los Angeles, California
|Residence||Granada Hills, Los Angeles|
|Alma mater||University of California, Irvine
USC Gould School of Law
Early life and education
Lacey was born in Los Angeles and raised in the Crenshaw neighborhood. Her father, Louis Phillips, was a City of Los Angeles Lot Cleaning employee, and her mother, Addie Phillips, was a garment factory worker. Lacey attended Dorsey High School, graduated from the University of California, Irvine with a degree in psychology in 1979, and graduated from the University of Southern California Law School in 1982.
Lacey joined the District Attorney's Office in 1986 as a deputy district attorney. Lacey prosecuted hundreds of criminal cases while serving as a deputy district attorney, including a successful prosecution of the first race-based hate crime murder in the United States. Lacey continued to move up through the ranks, taking on management and executive roles in the office in 2000. In 2011, she was named Chief Deputy District Attorney – second-in-command to the District Attorney.
Los Angeles County District Attorney
In June 2011, Lacey announced her candidacy for District Attorney, hoping to succeed retiring incumbent Steve Cooley. In the June 2012 election, in what was considered a major upset, Lacey and criminal prosecutor Alan Jackson defeated City Attorney Carmen Trutanich, who was considered the favorite. Lacey and Jackson advanced to a November 2012 runoff election, which Lacey won with 55% of the vote.
Lacey was sworn in as District Attorney on December 3, 2012 by outgoing attorney Steve Cooley, in a ceremony attended by former district attorneys Gil Garcetti, Robert Philibosian, and John Van de Kamp.
- "A First For LA County: Jackie Lacey Sworn In as DA". myfoxla.com. Fox Television Stations, Inc. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Jackie Lacey takes office as county's first female, black D.A.". latimesblogs.latimes.com. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Villacorte, Christina; Abram, Susan. "Incoming DA Jackie Lacey says she'll work to make L.A. County neighborhoods safer". dailynews.com. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Full Biography for Jackie Lacey". smartvoter.org. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "LA District Attorney Jackie Lacey". da.lacounty.gov. Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Stoltze, Frank. "Jackie Lacey announces her run for LA District Attorney". scpr.org. Southern California Public Radio. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Lacey, Jackson poised for D.A. runoff; Trutanich running third". latimesblogs.latimes.com. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "California election results". latimes.com. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Villacorte, Christina. "Jackie Lacey sworn in as L.A.'s first woman and African-American district attorney". dailynews.com. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Simmonds, Yusuf J.; Brooks, Brandon; Bihm, Jennifer. "JACKIE LACEY - District Attorney County of Los Angeles". lasentinel.net. The Los Angeles Sentinel. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
|Los Angeles County District Attorney
December 3, 2012–present