||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014)|
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (October 2014)|
Jackie Norris (born 1970) . She was born in Ossining, New York, and received her undergraduate education at SUNY College at Geneseo in 1992, her secondary teaching certification in 2001 from Iowa State University and a Masters in Political Science from Iowa State University in 2008. She also serves on the Leadership Council for the Impact Center and is a member of the U.S. Commission on Presidential Scholars.
Norris began her career in the office of Congresswoman Louise M. Slaughter (D-NY) in 1992. She later served as Vice President Al Gore’s scheduler and events planner and as Director of Scheduling and Advance for HUD Secretary Andrew Cuomo. In 1998, Norris served as finance director for Governor Tom Vilsack’s gubernatorial campaign in Iowa and as Iowa state political director on Al Gore’s 2000 Presidential campaign. In 2002, Norris became a classroom teacher for history and government at three high schools in Perry, Ames and Johnston, Iowa, after receiving her secondary education teacher certification from Iowa State University. She is the 2005 award recipient of the James Madison Fellowship, which is awarded to individuals with a desire to become outstanding teachers of the American Constitution at the secondary level. Norris recently stepped down from her 2 year tenure as an adjunct professor at American University.
During the 2008 presidential campaign, Norris was President Barack Obama's Iowa State Director after being his Iowa Senior Advisor during the caucus campaign. Norris served as First Lady Michelle Obama's White House Chief of Staff. In that role she helped to develop a strategic plan to address the issues the First Lady supports, including healthy eating, national service, military families, and women in the workplace. Norris later served as Senior Advisor to the CEO at the Corporation for National and Community Service, to advance the Administration’s work on national and community service and support the implementation of the Serve America Act Norris recently stepped down as the founding Executive Director of the Points of Light Corporate Institute. As Executive Director, she oversaw corporate strategy development and employee engagement programs for several Fortune 500 companies
Norris is married to John R. Norris, former Commissioner at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and now Minister Counselor to the USUN in Rome, Italy. Norris has three children – Hunter, 11; Cole, 11 and Sam, 8.
- Jackie Norris article on Huffington Post about Corporate and NonProfit Partnerships (Huffington Post, April 3, 2013)
- Jackie Norris quoted about Points of Light work (Businessweek, Nov 8, 2012)
- Michelle Obama's Chief of Staff change (Politico, June 5, 2009)
- Leaving the White House (Boston, June 4, 2009)
- Jackie Norris quoted about 2012 Obama campaign(KCCI Des Moines, Nov 6, 2012)
- Jackie Norris quoted about 2016 race (AP, Nov 4, 2012)
- Jackie Norris on the Civic 50 (Nonprofit Times, Nov 9, 2012)
- Interview about the future of volunteering
- Jackie Norris's campaign blog
- A First Lady Who Demands Substance (Washington Post, June 25, 2009)
- Jackie Norris's Points of Light Bio
- Jackie Norris (with Nicole Trimble) on Harnessing the Benefit of Employee Volunteering at Mid-Size Companies
- Jackie Norris: Creating a Standard for Doing Well by Doing Good
- Jackie Norris on "Let's Talk Live" discussing the 2013 National Conference on Volunteering and Service
- Jackie Norris discussing the 2013 National Day of Service
- Volunteer to Get Out of the Box