Jackson County, South Dakota
|Jackson County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|• Total||1,871 sq mi (4,846 km2)|
|• Land||1,864 sq mi (4,841 km2)|
|• Water||7.4 sq mi (5 km2), 0.4%|
|• Density||1.5676/sq mi (0.6052/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
|Footnotes: Washabaugh County was merged into Jackson County in 1983|
Jackson County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Dakota. As of the 2010 census, the population was 3,031. Its county seat is Kadoka. Washabaugh County was merged into Jackson County in 1983.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,871 square miles (4,850 km2), of which 1,864 square miles (4,830 km2) is land and 7 square miles (18 km2) (0.4%) is water. About 57 percent of its land, the portion south of the White River, is on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. The county includes the easternmost portion of Badlands National Park.
- Haakon County, South Dakota - north
- Jones County, South Dakota - northeast
- Mellette County, South Dakota - east
- Bennett County, South Dakota - south
- Shannon County, South Dakota - southwest
- Pennington County, South Dakota - northwest
National protected areas
- Badlands National Park (part)
- Buffalo Gap National Grassland (part)
- Minuteman Missile National Historic Site (part)
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,930 people, 945 households, and 675 families residing in the county. The population density was 2 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 1,173 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 50.07% White, 0.03% Black or African American, 47.85% Native American, 0.03% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.14% from other races, and 1.84% from two or more races. 0.41% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 945 households out of which 38.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.40% were married couples living together, 14.70% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.50% were non-families. 25.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.08 and the average family size was 3.73.
In the county, the population was spread out with 36.50% under the age of 18, 8.00% from 18 to 24, 23.60% from 25 to 44, 20.30% from 45 to 64, and 11.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 98.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $23,945, and the median income for a family was $25,161. Males had a median income of $22,460 versus $17,895 for females. The per capita income for the county was $9,981. About 29.50% of families and 36.50% of the population were below the poverty line, including 46.10% of those under age 18 and 20.10% of those age 65 or over. The county's per-capita income makes it one of the poorest counties in the United States.
Cities and towns
- Belvidere (Population:49)
- Cottonwood (Population:9)
- Interior (Population:94)
- Kadoka (Population:654)
- Long Valley
- Potato Creek
- Wanblee (Population:725)
The county has five organized townships: Grandview II, Interior, Jewett, Wall, and Weta; and four areas of unorganized territory: East Jackson, Northwest Jackson, Southeast Jackson, and Southwest Jackson.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- John H. Long, Editor (2006). "Dakota Territory, South Dakota, and North Dakota: Individual County Chronologies". Dakota Territory Atlas of Historical County Boundaries. Newberry Library. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jackson County, South Dakota.|
||Pennington County||Haakon County||Jones County|
|Shannon County||Bennett County|