Jackson Township, Ashland County, Ohio
|Jackson Township, Ashland County, Ohio|
Location of Jackson Township in Ashland County
|• Total||31.5 sq mi (81.7 km2)|
|• Land||31.2 sq mi (80.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,194 ft (364 m)|
|• Density||125/sq mi (48.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085706|
Jackson Township is one of the fifteen townships of Ashland County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 3,887 people in the township, 3,551 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Homer Township, Medina County - northeast
- Congress Township, Wayne County - east
- Chester Township, Wayne County - southeast corner
- Perry Township - south
- Montgomery Township - southwest
- Orange Township - west
- Sullivan Township - northwest
The village of Polk is located in western Jackson Township. The unincorporated community and census-designated place of Cinnamon Lake, built around a reservoir of the same name, is found near the northern border of the township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Jackson township, Ashland County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.