Jackson Township, Clermont County, Ohio
|Jackson Township, Clermont County, Ohio|
U.S. Route 50 in Marathon
Municipalities and townships of Clermont County
|• Total||31.4 sq mi (81.2 km2)|
|• Land||31.2 sq mi (80.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||909 ft (277 m)|
|• Density||96/sq mi (36.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085864|
Located in the northeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Wayne Township - north
- Perry Township, Brown County - northeast
- Sterling Township, Brown County - southeast
- Williamsburg Township - south
- Batavia Township - southwest
- Stonelick Township - west
Lerado was laid out by Bernard Conn in April 1834 as "Brownsville" on the "Newtonsville and Brownsville free turnpike", now Ohio State Route 131. At one time the village had a hotel, a general store, two blacksmith shops and a turning lathe shop. A post office was established there in 1876. It was thought, at one time, that Brownsville would become a sizable town with considerable population and many businesses. It is said that the village received its present name from a female resident who either liked Texas or had lived in Laredo, Texas. The name of this unincorporated area remains misspelled to this day. Lerado is less than a mile from the Brown/Clermont County Line on S.R. 131.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Jackson township, Clermont County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- Jackson Township, Clermont County, Ohio website Dec 27, 2010
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.