|Conference(s)||Atlantic Sun Conference
National Lacrosse Conference
Pioneer Football League
|Athletic director||Brad Edwards|
|Football stadium||D. B. Milne Field|
|Basketball arena||Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena|
|Baseball stadium||John Sessions Stadium|
|Soccer stadium||Ashley Sports Complex|
|Other arenas||Swisher Gymnasium|
|Mascot||Nellie the Dolphin|
|Colors||Forest Green, White, and Vegas Gold
The Jacksonville University Dolphins are the athletics team of Jacksonville University in Jacksonville, Florida, USA. The Dolphins participate in NCAA Division I athletics, and are members of the Atlantic Sun Conference, the National Lacrosse Conference, and the Pioneer Football League.
Jacksonville offers 20 different varsity sports, of which all but one (men's rowing) are sponsored by the NCAA. NCAA-sponsored sports include basketball, cross country, golf, lacrosse, soccer, and tennis, offered to both men and women; baseball and football, offered to men only; and rowing, softball, volleyball, and track (both indoor and outdoor), offered only to women.
The Jacksonville Dolphins baseball team began play in 1957, and was independent until joining the Sun Belt Conference in 1978. The Dolphins were affiliated with that conference until 1998, when they joined the Atlantic Sun Conference.
The Dolphins have participated in 13 NCAA tournaments, beginning in 1968. Jacksonville's best showing in the NCAA tournament came in the 1976 South Regional, when they were one game away from the College World Series, but were eliminated by Auburn 7–5. The Dolphins also were part of the NCAA tournament in 1972, 1976, 1989, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, and 2011.
The Jacksonville Dolphins men's basketball program was established in 1949.
Jacksonville has appeared in five NCAA Division I men's basketball tournaments, most recently in 1986. Their most successful tournament was the first they participated in, the 1970 NCAA tournament. The Dolphins, led by NBA Hall-of-Famer Artis Gilmore, the school's all-time leader in rebounds, blocks and field goals, and Rex Morgan, the career assists leader, advanced to the title game before losing to UCLA 80–69. During that 1969–70 season, the team became the first NCAA basketball program to average 100 points per game in a season.
The Dolphins have won one Atlantic Sun regular-season title (2008–09), but have not yet won the conference tournament and the accompanying automatic bid to the NCAA tournament as a member of the Atlantic Sun conference.
The Jacksonville Dolphins football team competes in the Pioneer Football League, a Division I football-only conference. Their first season of play was in 1998, and they have been members of the Pioneer Football League since 2001.
|1998||4–5 (.444)||Inaugural season|
|2001||6–5 (.545), 3–0 (1.000) PFL||PFL South Division Champions|
|2002||3–7 (.300), 0–3 (.000) PFL|
|2003||5–6 (.455), 1–2 (.333) PFL|
|2004||3–7 (.300), 2–1 (.667) PFL|
|2005||4–4 (.500), 2–1 (.667) PFL|
|2006||4–6 (.400), 4–3 (.571) PFL|
|2007||3–8 (.273), 2–5 (.286) PFL|
|2008||9–4 (.692), 7–1 (.875) PFL||PFL Champions|
|2009||7–4 (.636), 6–2 (.750) PFL|
|2010||10–1 (.909), 8–0 (1.000) PFL||PFL Co-Champions, #22 FCS|
|2011||7–4 (.636), 6–2 (.750) PFL|
|2012||7–4 (.750), 5–3 (.800) PFL|
|2013||5–6 (.455), 4–4 (.500) PFL|
|Total||83–85 (.494), 50–27 (.649) PFL|
Pioneer Football League Offensive Freshman of the Year
- Josh McGregor, QB, 2008
Pioneer Football League Defensive Player of the Year
- Tyrone Wright, DB, 2001
Pioneer Football League Coach of the Year
- Kerwin Bell, 2008
Jacksonville fielded both men's and women's NCAA Division I lacrosse teams starting with the 2010 season; both programs became the first in Florida to compete in an official game on February 6, 2010.
JU's lacrosse programs were founded by current Director of Lacrosse Mindy McCord, who also serves as the program's head women's coach. Assisting Mindy McCord are Brooke Richards Magnusson, a former University of Maryland standout and Maryland prep player of the year, and Jen Heup.
The women's team was a founding member of the National Lacrosse Conference. In addition to Jacksonville, the eight-team conference includes southern-based universities Davidson, High Point, Presbyterian, Liberty, and Longwood, as well as northern programs Detroit-Mercy and Howard. The conference will be a provisional conference for two years by NCAA standards; it must exist for two years to earn a potential automatic qualifier into the NCAA tournament.
The men's team, the only men's Division I lacrosse team in Florida, is a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. The current coach of the men's team is Guy Van Arsdale.
Traditions and rivalries
Jacksonville University's most notable rivalry is with crosstown opponents the University of North Florida Ospreys. The two universities contest the "River City Rumble", in which the school with the most wins over the other across all sports receives a trophy, the SunTrust Old Wooden Barrel. JU has dominated the men's basketball series, going 13-1 at the close of the 2010–2011 regular season.
- "Gilmore Bio on Jacksonville University Dolphins Hall of Fame". Retrieved April 12, 2009.
- "Morgan Bio on Jacksonville University Dolphins Hall of Fame". Retrieved April 12, 2009.
- Jeff Elliott (2010-02-13). "1969–70 JU Dolphins won respect on way to NCAA title game". jacksonville.com. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "Media Information: 2010 Jacksonville University Football". Judolphins.com. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Jacksonville University to add men's and women's lacrosse for the 2009–10 season". Retrieved May 15, 2009.
- "Women's Lacrosse – Team Home – Jacksonville University Official Athletic Site". Judolphins.com. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "Men's Lacrosse – Schedule – 2009–10 – Jacksonville University Official Athletic Site". Judolphins.com. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- [dead link]
- "Jennifer Heup named graduate assistant for women’s lacrosse – Jacksonville University Official Athletic Site". Judolphins.com. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "Brooke Magnuson named women’s lacrosse assistant coach – Jacksonville University Official Athletic Site". Judolphins.com. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "JU Dolphin Lacrosse! One of the Best Camps in the Country! Jacksonville University Dolphins". Julacrosse.com. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "Davidson College Athletics – Davidson W. Lacrosse Joins National Lacrosse Conference". Davidsonwildcats.com. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Gene Frennette (January 27, 2011). "Gene Frenette: Coaches Matthew Driscoll, Cliff Warren elevate UNF-JU rivalry". The Florida Times-Union. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- "Suntrust River City Rumble". unfospreys.com. University of North Florida. Retrieved November 2, 2011.
- Gene Frenette (March 3, 2011). "UNF basketball takes huge step in finally beating Dolphins". The Florida Times-Union. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- Jeff Elliott (March 3, 2011). "UNF beats JU in Atlantic Sun Tournament". The Florida Times-Union. Retrieved December 16, 2011.