|Birth name||Jaclyn A/P Joshua Thanaraj Victor|
|Also known as||Jaclyn Victor|
|Born||4 December 1978|
|Genres||Pop, pop rock, R&B|
|Labels||Sony Music Malaysia, KRU Music|
|Associated acts||Misha Omar, Shila Amzah, Shawn Rivera|
Jaclyn Joshua Thanaraj Victor (born 4 December 1978), popularly known as Jaclyn Victor, is a Malaysian singer and actress who won the inaugural Malaysian Idol and Ikon Malaysia. As the winner of Malaysian Idol, she won a recording contract with Sony BMG Entertainment. She is under the management of The 8 Unit. She represented Malaysia in the first Asian Idol and Ikon Asean. She has been dubbed Asia's Divette for her vocal prowess.
In 2012, ""Jaclyn Victor"" signed a recording deal with KRU Music and recorded a Malay language album entitled "Ikut Rentakku". After winning a number of awards, "Jaclyn Victor" signed a new agreement with KRU Music and will release an English language album entitled "Unleashed" that will be released worldwide.
- 1 Biography and music career
- 2 Acting career
- 3 Controversy
- 4 Voice
- 5 Personal life
- 6 Filmography
- 7 Discography
- 8 Awards and nominations
- 9 Concerts
- 10 Notes
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Biography and music career
Jaclyn is a Malaysian of Tamil descent. She was born in Kepong, Kuala Lumpur, on 4 December 1978. She is the only daughter of Maggie Victor, a single mother of Indian descent. She has three younger brothers. When Jaclyn was nine years old, her father died, prompting her mother to take on three jobs simultaneously to support her four children. At the age of eighteen, Jaclyn started singing in clubs and hotel lounges.
With the support of friends and family, Jaclyn and her friend, Ravi, recorded an album, titled Dream. This self-produced album includes songs co-written by Jaclyn. There were attempts to promote this album including an appearance on the 8TV television show Latte @ 8.
In 2004, her mother encouraged her to audition for Malaysian Idol, which she did along with ten thousand others. The judges Roslan Aziz, Fauziah Latiff and Paul Moss, put her through to the next round. Having secured a final thirty-third spot, Jaclyn performed "Superwoman" live, becoming the seventh person to reach the top twelve.
In the first spectacular show, the theme for the week was "Song from your Pop Idol". Jaclyn choose a song by the Indonesian diva Ruth Sahanaya, "Keliru". Coached by Aubrey Suwito, Juwita Suwito along with Elaine Pedley, her performance took her through to the next round. The second theme was "Song from your Classic Idol". Jaclyn's choice was "When I Fall in Love" and Michael Xavier Voon joined in as performance coach. Her performance gained resounding praise. After another double elimination sending off Fahmy and Rydee, Jaclyn was back the following week performing a "Song from the 80s", Chaka Khan's "I Feel For You". She went on to the "Rock Show" with a performance of "Sweet Child O' Mine".
The last six contestants included Nikki, Dina, Vick, Andrew and Saipul. Jaclyn performed an effortless "Lady Marmalade", but received a less favourable comment from Roslan, who said that "she is a super singer but not an idol", and he felt bored week by week of her performances thus far. On the results show, she found herself in the bottom two for the first time (with Nikki, who performed "Emotion"), but she survived the elimination. After reaching the last three, her chances were improved by her performance of Alicia Keys' "If I Ain't Got You".
Jaclyn had become one of the final two contestants on Malaysian Idol, and on 9 October 2004, she took the title with 76% of audience votes over Dina. In tears, Jaclyn performed the ballad "Gemilang" (Glory), the song written for the winner of Malaysian Idol, which subsequently appeared on her first album Gemilang. The song's music video incorporated short scenes of Jaclyn in Malaysian Idol.
Jaclyn's album achieved gold status within weeks of going on sale. Her previously released album Dream, sold out within days, despite the sudden increase in price. She won the "Best Newcomer Award" on Hitz. FM and "Best New Artist" in Anugerah Bintang Popular.
Jaclyn has since appeared in numerous television and talk shows such as Pillow Talk and Muzik-Muzik. She has also performed "Gemilang" at a Tsunami Concert held to aid victims of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake. She has performed in duets with Hazami, Taufik Batisah, Akademi Fantasia's second winner, Zahid, Delon Thamrin and Misha Omar, and has performed and recorded with international singers such as Peabo Bryson, Ramin Karimloo, Simon Bailey and Az Yet.
Jaclyn received her first international award when she won gold at the Asia New Singer Competition at the Shanghai Music Festival in China on 28 October 2005, emerging as the champion with her winning song, "Gemilang". On 21 January 2006, she received RTM Hits 1 Best Song and Best Performance awards for "Gemilang". On 5 February the same year, the song earned her and its composer Aubrey Suwito and lyricist Azmin Mudin the "Juara Lagu" (Champion of Songs) and "Best Ballad Song" awards in TV3's 20th edition of the Anugerah Juara Lagu. She was expected to win the TV3's "Anugerah Vokal Terbaik" (Best Vocal Award) but was beaten by Hazami who performed "Kata". Jaclyn took the Best Female Artiste award at the Anugerah Planet Muzik (Music Planet Awards) in Singapore on 24 March.
On 29 April 2006, Victor won four of seven nominations from the Malaysian music scene's biggest night, the 13th Anugerah Industri Muzik. They were Best New Artist, Best Musical Arrangement in a Song, Best Pop Album and Best Album.
After a series of delays, Jaclyn's second album, Inilah Jac, was released on 25 August 2006, while she was on a trip to Australia for both leisure and business purposes, including visiting Mount Buller and performing in two concerts in Melbourne's Australia for Christ Fellowship Church (with the singer-songwriter Juwita Suwito), and in Adelaide's Paradise Community Church (of which the inaugural Australian Idol winner, the Malaysian-born Guy Sebastian is a member, though Sebastian himself did not appear). While in Australia, Jaclyn also did an interview for the Christian radio station HCJB.
In November 2006, she made her first proper music video (previously her videos were clips from studio recording sessions or footage from Malaysian Idol) when she filmed "Ceritera Cinta" with the male crooner Rio Febrian in his homeland in Indonesia.
2007 was a very busy year for Jaclyn. She competed in the Ikon Malaysia 2007 (solo category) competition, getting to the final round with Dayang Nurfaizah and Mawi. In the final, she sang a medley of songs: "Impian" (hope) from her first album, "Cepat-cepat" from her second album and "Gemilang", to win the title.
At the 14th Anugerah Industri Muzik (AIM) Malaysia, on 28 April 2007, Jaclyn was nominated for four awards – Best Vocal Performance in an Album – Female; Best Music Arrangement in a song – Inilah Masanya; Best Pop Album – Inilah Jac; Ceritera Cinta – Song of the year. She won the "Best Female Vocal Performance in an Album" award. She also received two APM nominations, all of which are attributed to Inilah Jac.
Jaclyn's music was used on the Special Edition of Disney studio's High School Musical 2 soundtrack. She sang the duet "You Are The Music in Me" in both English and Bahasa Malaysia with Vince Chong, the season 1 winner of another singing reality-TV program, Akademi Fantasia. A music video and nationwide mall tour followed for fans of the High School Musical franchise. The video of their version of the song is now on the Special Edition DVD of High School Musical 2 (2008).
As part of the year-long "50 Years of Malaysian Independence" celebrations, Jaclyn was part of the "Live and Loud KL" concert series which featured international and local artists. This 10-day music extravaganza included a wide range of genres and more than fifty performers, with more than 45 hours of live music. The festival was held from 23 November until 2 December, with each day giving festival-goers a different genre, a different theme, a different repertoire, a different venue and different stars, including Whitney Houston, Elliott Yamin, Shaggy, Project Pop, James Taylor Quartet, Joe Flizzow and Hannah Tan.
Before Christmas 2007, Jaclyn flew to Moscow for a charity Christmas concert named Christmas Bash 2007, co-organized by the Sechenov Malaysian Student Association and Malaysian Fellowship Moscow after an invitation by the organising committee. The concert was attended by almost a thousand people, the majority of them being Malaysian Medical Students studying in Moscow. She also performed during the 8TV's fourth birthday party in January 2008.
On 27 January 2008, the finals of the annual Anugerah Juara Lagu (Best Song) Awards were held in Kuala Lumpur. After a long and difficult competition, Jaclyn won the Best Vocal Award with Lah from VE for their rendition of Jaclyn's duet "Ceritera Cinta" (originally with the Indonesian singer, Rio Febrian). The song is on Victor's second Sony BMG album, Inilah Jac.
Jaclyn wanted a change in her musical direction and in 2012, Jaclyn signed a recording agreement with a progressive independent label, ""KRU Music"". Produced and written by Malaysia's prolific singer/songwriter/producer ""Edry Abdul Halim"", Jaclyn released 3 successful singles namely "Sebelah Jiwaku", "Jagalah Diri" and "Ikut Rentakku". In 2014, Jaclyn continued her contract with ""KRU Music"" and will release her English EP entitled "Unleashed" in September 2014. Singles in the EP (co-written by Jaclyn) are "Remedy", "Over And Over", "Pinnacle", "Sweeter Than A Dream" and "Delirious".
She starred in the film Talentime, directed by Yasmin Ahmad, in 2009. She received the award for Best Promising Actress at the 22nd Malaysian Film Festival. She was reportedly invited to star in a film by Mamat Khalid but declined. She made a cameo appearance in a local horror fiction, Susuk. Jaclyn also appeared in a local Tamil film, Appalam, directed by Afdlin Shauki.
A song titled "Harapan Bangsa" sung by Jaclyn in 2007 for the churches in Sabah and Sarawak caused controversy in certain sections of the Muslim community, which is predominantly Malay-speaking people, in Peninsular Malaysia when a YouTube clip of the song using Christian images was uploaded five years later by a fan
Perkasa, a non-governmental Malay organisation which was formed in the aftermath of the Malaysian general elections in 2008, has called for a blanket boycott of Jaclyn by Muslims nationwide over the song, which it claims is an insult to Islam.
Jaclyn's voice is noted for its brilliant upper register, "smoky" middle and lower registers, flowing phrasing and wide dynamic range. Her voice ranged from lower D (D3) below Middle C to the B (B5) above High C and the capabilities to reach high C(C6) effortlessly.
- Voice type : Spinto soprano
- Low/mid notes : Tunggu Sekejap (D3), Ceritera Cinta (F3), Wajah (G3)
- High notes (belts) : Satu Harapan (D#5), Cinta Tiada Akhirnya (F#5), Dambaran Cinta (G5), Gemilang (G5-Bb5), Jagalah Diri
- Vocal range : 3.5 octaves
|2008||Susuk||Herself||Cameo appearance as herself|
|2009||Talentime||Bhavani||List of Malaysian films|
|2010||Appalam||Nalaini||Malaysian Tamil language movie|
|2004||Gemilang||Sony BMG||20,000 units sold. The album won "Best Pop Album" & "Album of the Year" awards in Anugerah Industri Muzik 2005. The song "Gemilang" won the Anugerah Juara Lagu 2005.|
|2006||Inilah Jac||Sony BMG||She won "Best Female Vocal Performance in an Album" award at the Anugerah Industri Muzik 2006.|
|2007||Inilah Jac – Edisi Terhad||Sony BMG||Re-released with new tracks and music videos.|
|2009||Jaclyn Victor III||Sony Music||She was nominated for Best Vocal in Song (Female) at the 17th Anugerah Industri Muzik, 2010.|
|2011||3 Suara||Sony Music||A collaboration with Ning Baizura and Shila.|
|2013||Ikut Rentakku||KRU Music||Winner of Best Vocal Performance, Ikut Rentakku also nominated for Best Song at the 28th Anugerah Juara Lagu, 2014|
|2014||Unleashed||KRU Music||First English EP|
- Malaysian Idol CD Single: Jac (2004, Sony BMG)
- Wajah (2005, Sony BMG)
- Satu Harapan (2007, Sony BMG)
- Malaysian Idol Karaoke (with Danell Lee) (2005, Karaoke CD/VCD, Sony BMG)
- Jubilee (compilation Christian album) (2007, AION Music)
- Keunggulan Jaclyn Victor (compilation of her well known hits) (2011, 2CD/1VCD Sony Music)
- "In a Dream'" (2002, released only in independent music circles)
- "Gemilang" (2004)
- "Di Bawah Pohon Asmara" (2005)
- "Tiada Lagi Indah" (2005)
- "Cuma Setia" (2005)
- "Wajah" (2005, theme song for Bersamamu TV3)
- "Getaran Rinduku" (2005)
- "Cepat Cepat" (2006)
- "Ceritera Cinta" (2006, duet with Rio Febrian)
- "Without You" (2006, duet with Same Same)
- "Jealous" (2007)
- "Satu Harapan" (2007)
- "Cinta Tiada Akhirnya" (2007)
- "Kau Muzik di hatiku" (2007, duet with Vince Chong) (OST of High School Musical 2 – Asian edition)
- "You're the Music in Me" (2007, duet with Vince Chong) (OST of High School Musical 2 – Asian edition)
- "Dambaran Cinta" (2008, theme song for Apa Kata Hati)
- "Bertamu Di Kalbu" (2009)
- "Cinta Ada" (a collaboration with Dato' Sheila Majid & Karen Kong) (2009)
- "Inilah Malaysia" (2009, featuring Arch Little Danielle) (for the Lagu 1Malaysia Kita Song Competition)
- "Ku Tak Bisa" (2010)
- "Di Mana Di Mana" (2011) (a collaboration with Ning Baizura and Shila) (2011)
- "Beribu Sesalan" (2012) (a collaboration with Ning Baizura and Shila) (2011)
- "Semua Isi Hatimu" (2012) (a collaboration with Ning Baizura and Shila) (2011)
- "Sebelah Jiwaku" (2013) (first single under the KRU Studios label)
- "Jagalah Diri" (2013)
- "Ikut Rentakku" (2014)
- "Remedy" (2014)
- "Seindah Mimpi" (2015)
- "Sweeter than a Dream" (2015)
- "Cinta" (duet with Misha Omar)
- "Without You" (duet with Same Same)
- "Ceritera Cinta" (duet with Rio Febrian)
- "Ipoh Mali" (as featuring artiste)
- "Satu Harapan"
- "You're the Music in Me" (2007, duet with Vince Chong)
- "Bertamu di Kalbu" (2009)
- "Koleksi Gemilang" (2009)
- "Beribu Sesalan" (2011, a collaboration with Ning Baizura & Shila Amzah)
- "Jagalah Diri" (2012) OST 29 Februari
- "Ikut Rentakku"
- "Seindah Mimpi"
Awards and nominations
|2005||Anugerah Bintang Popular Berita Harian||Most Popular Female New Artist||Won|
|Hitz. FM Award||Best Newcomer||Won|
- Anugerah Bintang Popular Berita Harian – Most Popular New Female Artist – 13 April 2005
- Malaysia's Global Chinese Recommended Golden Arts Award (Music Category) – 16 July 2005
- XIII Shanghai Asian Music Festival Golden Prize – October 2005
- RTM Hits 1–21 January 2006
- Best Song Award – "Gemilang"
- Best Performance Award
- TV3 Anugerah Juara Lagu – 5 February 2006
- Juara Lagu Best Ballad Award – "Gemilang"
- Song of the Year Award – "Gemilang"
- Anugerah Planet Muzik (Singapore) – 24 March 2006
- Best Female Artist
- 13th Anugerah Industri Muzik (AIM) Malaysia – 29 April 2006
- Best New Artist
- Best Arrangement in a Song
- Best Pop Album
- Album of the Year
- URS Magazine Award
- Non-Malay glamour artist
- 14th Anugerah Industri Muzik (AIM) Malaysia – 28 April 2007
- Best Female Vocal Performance in an Album
- IKON MALAYSIA
- Winner of Ikon Malaysia – Solo
- Anugerah Era 2007
- Chosen Local English Artiste – Ipoh Mali/Point Blanc
- Anugerah Juara Lagu 27 January 2008
- Best Vocal Performance "Ceritera Cinta" (duet with Lah, from VE)
- Red Box Karaoke Chart 2008 Awards
- No. 6 – Ceritera Cinta
- Shout! Awards 2009
- Power Vocal Award
- Festival Filem Malaysia ke-22
- Most Promising Actress (Talentime)
- Anugerah Skrin 2009
- Special Jury Award – Anugerah Yasmin Ahmad (Talentime)
- Anugerah Planet Muzik 2011
- Anugerah Industri Muzik 18
- Best Vocal in a Song – Beribu Sesalan 2012
- Anugerah Bintang Bintang Popular 2011
- Most Popular Gorup
- Anugerah Juara Lagu 26
- 1st Runner-up – Beribu Sesalan
- Anugerah Industri Muzik 19
- Best Vocal – Female. Song : "Counting Days"
- Best Music Arrangement. Song : "Counting Days" by Aubrey Suwito
- Best English Song . Song : "Counting Days" by Aubrey Suwito
- Anugerah Juara Lagu 28
- Best Vocal- Ikut Rentakku
- Zoom in with Jaclyn Victor (2005)
- Konsert Fenomena Jaclyn Victor & Misha Omar (2005)
- Sunday Nite Live at Planet Hollywood (2006)
- Zoom in with Jaclyn Victor (2006)
- Konsert Fenomena Jaclyn Victor & Dayang Nurfaizah (2006)
- Down Memory Lane with Jaclyn Victor (2007)
- Malam Gemilang Ekslusif bersama Jaclyn Victor @ Planet Hollywood (2007)
- Hard Rock Cafe's Pinktober LIVE (Special Showcase) (2010)
- WEST END STARS in Concert ( with Ramin Karimloo, Simon Bailey & Stephen Rahman Hughes
- Konsert 3 Permata 2012 @ Esplanade Singapore ( with Adibah Noor & Misha Omar )
- "Music: Girl behind the voice". Retrieved 4 October 2007.
- The Jaclyn Victor Hour. MalaysianIdol.com.my. Retrieved 12 March 2006.
- Jaclyn Victor @ Mount Buller, Australia
- Christmas Bash 2007: Jac In Moscow. Retrieved 14 November 2007.
- June H.L. Wong (8 March 2011). "100 memorable Malaysian Women – Part 3". The Star.
- Ellyna Ali (2 November 2007). "Mamat Khalid lamar Jac berlakon filem". .
- June H.L. Wong (8 March 2011). "100 memorable Malaysian Women – Part 3". The Star.
- Harapan Bangsa. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Berita Harian: 'Tiada Niat Singgung'. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- 'Perkasa wants boycott of Jaclyn Victor'. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- "Jaclyn Victor introduces husband". The Rakyat Post. 12 August 2014.
- Biography of Jaclyn Victor MalaysianIdol.com.my. Retrieved 8 March 2006
- The Jaclyn Victor Hour MalaysianIdol.com.my. Retrieved 8 March 2006
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Jaclyn Victor|
Season 1 (2004)