|Full name||Jacob Alexander Mellis|
|Date of birth||8 January 1991|
|Place of birth||Nottingham, England|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|2009–2010||→ Southampton (loan)||12||(0)|
|2011||→ Barnsley (loan)||15||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 1 October 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Mellis was born in Nottingham and started his career as a trainee with Sheffield United, before joining Premier League club Chelsea for £1 million in June 2007. He was a member of the Chelsea team that reached the final of the FA Youth Cup in 2008, but was sent-off in the 90th minute of the second leg, as Chelsea lost 4–2 on aggregate to Manchester City. In the 2008–09 season, he became a regular in Chelsea's reserves making 13 appearances with three goals.
Mellis signed for Barnsley on loan during the January transfer window, with the loan deal scheduled to run until 8 May 2011. Mellis scored his first Barnsley goal against Leicester City on 5 February 2011.
On 18 June 2012, Mellis agreed a two-year deal with South Yorkshire side Barnsley. Mellis scored his first goal for Barnsley during a 1–0 win over Bristol City. During a pre season friendly against Rotherham, on 21 July 2012, Jacob Mellis scored the first goal in The New York Stadium since its opening on 12 March 2012.
On 19 March 2012, Chelsea and Mellis was sacked after he admitted setting off a smoke grenade and causing a full-scale evacuation at the club's Cobham training ground. Mellis's team-mate Billy Clifford escaped with a fine after admitting he brought the grenade – understood to be from a paintball expedition – into Chelsea's Cobham training headquarters. The pair were suspended after the incident on 2 March.
Less than a month later, on 9 April 2012, Mellis was arrested after a fight with his ex-girlfriend, at his Cobham home. Mellis was admitted to St Peter's Hospital in Chertsey and treated for injuries and his girlfriend was subsequently arrested on suspicion of ABH. She was cautioned for common assault and criminal damage.
- "Search 1984 to 2006 – Birth, Marriage and Death indexes". Findmypast.com. Retrieved 9 March 2010.
- "Chelsea player profile – Jacob Mellis". Chelsea F.C. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
- "Chelsea Starlet in on Loan". www.saintsfc.co.uk. 14 August 2009. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
- "Huddersfield 3 – 1 Southampton". BBC Sport. 15 August 2009. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
- "MELLIS LOANED OUT". www.chelseafc.com. 31 January 2011. Retrieved 31 January 2011.
- "Leicester 4 – 1 Barnsley". BBC Sport. 5 February 2011. Retrieved 8 February 2011.
- "Barnsley sign former Chelsea youngster Jacob Mellis". BBC Sport. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Burnley star Ings is staying put!". Burnley Express. 20 March 2012. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Chelsea part company with Jacob Mellis over smoke grenade incident". The Guardian (London). 20 March 2012.
- Ashton, Neil. "Chelsea sack starlet Mellis and fine team-mate Clifford over smoke bomb prank". Daily Mail (London).
- "Axed Chelsea youngster Mellis arrested after 3am bust-up with girlfriend". London: Daily Mail. 9 April 2012. Retrieved 29 April 2012.