|Born||Jacob Joseph Volkmann
September 5, 1980
Fergus Falls, Minnesota
|Other names||Feelgood, Christmas|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||71.5 in (182 cm)|
|Fighting out of||White Bear Lake, Minnesota|
|Team||Minnesota Martial Arts Academy|
|Rank||NCAA Division I Wrestling|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||University of Minnesota|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Jacob Joseph Volkmann (born September 5, 1980) is an American mixed martial artist currently signed with the World Series of Fighting. A professional MMA competitor since 2007, Volkmann had made a name for himself fighting in the Midwest before getting signed to the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He compiled a 6-4 record before being surprisingly released in February 2013 along with 15 other fighters.
Early life 
Volkmann graduated from Henning High School. He wrestled for the Otter Tail Central Bulldogs and holds the schools all-time record for career wins. Volkmann graduated from the University of Minnesota, where he was a Big Ten Conference wrestling champion and a three time NCAA All American. In 2001 as a freshman he finished fourth, then in 2003 as junior finished third and then once again as a senior in 2004 finished fourth.
Mixed martial arts career 
Early career 
Volkmann started his professional MMA career in 2007, primarily competing in Minnesota where he is a member of the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy.
Ultimate Fighting Championship 
He received a third chance in the Octagon at UFC Fight Night: Florian vs. Gomi against Ronys Torres, in which Volkmann moved down to lightweight. Volkmann won the fight via split decision (28–29, 30–27, 30–27), earning his first UFC win.
Volkmann was scheduled to face Paul Kelly on July 3, 2010 at UFC 116. However, the fight was moved on August 1, to the UFC on Versus: Jones vs. Matyushenko card, due to visa issues for Kelly. Volkmann defeated Kelly via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).
On October 2, 2010, it was announced that Volkmann would fight former MFC lightweight champion, Antonio McKee, at UFC 125. Volkmann won via split decision. After his bout at UFC 125, Volkmann said that he wanted to fight U.S. President Barack Obama because he disagreed with his policies and asserting, "Someone needs to knock some sense into that idiot." That statement resulted in a visit from the U.S. Secret Service the following week. Volkmann has appeared on several national news shows for the comments, including The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Inside Edition, and the Fox Business Network. Volkmann was also placed on administrative leave by the White Bear Lake High School, where he is the assistant head coach of wrestling.
Volkmann next fought Danny Castillo on August 14, 2011 at UFC on Versus 5. The contest was mostly a grappling affair with Volkmann, on more than one occasion, threatening with a brabo choke in all three rounds. He won the fight via unanimous decision (29-28 on all cards).
Volkmann was expected to face TJ Grant on December 30, 2011 at UFC 141. However, Grant was forced from the bout with an injury and replaced by Efrain Escudero. Volkmann controlled throughout the fight, dominating Escudero on the ground for rounds one and two. Volkmann won the fight via unanimous decision. He again made waves calling out U.S. President Barack Obama after the fight stating, "Obama needs a glassectomy...It's where they remove the belly button and put a piece of glass in there, so you can see what you're doing while your head's up your ass." The post-fight comments, again, got Volkmann placed on administrative leave by the White Bear Lake High School.
Volkmann was expected to face Shane Roller on September 1, 2012 at UFC 151. However, after UFC 151 was cancelled, Volkmann/Roller was rescheduled and will now take place on October 5, 2012 at UFC on FX 5. Volkmann took Roller down early in the fight and quickly took his back, forcing him to submit to a rear-naked choke at only 2:38 of the first round. This was Volkmann's first stoppage win since being in the UFC.
Volkmann faced promotional newcomer Bobby Green on February 2, 2013 at UFC 156. He lost the fight via submission in the third round. Following the loss, Volkmann was released from the promotion.
World Series of Fighting 
Jacob Volkmann has stated via twitter he has signed with the World Series of Fighting.
Personal life 
Volkmann and his wife have three children. Volkmann also runs a chiropractor firm.
Championships and awards 
Collegiate wrestling 
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
- NCAA Division I All-American out of University of Minnesota (2001), (2003), (2004)
- NCAA Division I 174 1b - 4th place out of University of Minnesota (2001)
- NCAA Division I 165 1b - 3rd place out of University of Minnesota (2003)
- NCAA Division I 165 1b - 4th place out of University of Minnesota (2004)
Mixed martial arts 
- Victory Fighting Championship
- VFC Welterweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts record 
|Professional record breakdown|
|19 matches||15 wins||4 losses|
|Loss||15-4||Bobby Green||Submission (rear naked choke)||UFC 156||February 2, 2013||3||4:25||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15-3||Shane Roller||Submission (rear naked choke)||UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot||October 5, 2012||1||2:38||Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States|
|Loss||14-3||Paul Sass||Submission (triangle armbar)||UFC 146||May 26, 2012||1||1:54||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14-2||Efrain Escudero||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 141||December 30, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||13-2||Danny Castillo||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Hardy vs. Lytle||August 14, 2011||3||5:00||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||12-2||Antonio McKee||Decision (split)||UFC 125||January 1, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11-2||Paul Kelly||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko||August 1, 2010||3||5:00||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||10-2||Ronys Torres||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Florian vs. Gomi||March 31, 2010||3||5:00||Charlotte, North Carolina, United States||Debut at Lightweight|
|Loss||9-2||Martin Kampmann||Submission (guillotine)||UFC 108||January 2, 2010||1||4:03||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||9-1||Paulo Thiago||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 106||November 21, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9-0||Kevin Knabjian||Submission (D'arce choke)||Bellator 7||May 15, 2009||2||1:42||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||8-0||Bobby Voelker||Decision (unanimous)||VFC 25: Primetime||December 5, 2008||5||5:00||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States||Won the VFC Welterweight Championship|
|Win||7-0||Steve Merth||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Brutaal Fight Night||September 5, 2008||1||3:52||Maplewood, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||6-0||Travis McCullough||Submission (strikes)||Max Fights 4||July 19, 2008||1||0:51||Fargo, North Dakota, United States|
|Win||5-0||Wayne Hajicek||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Max Fights 3||April 26, 2008||1||0:34||Fargo, North Dakota, United States|
|Win||4-0||Brent Mehrhoff||Decision (unanimous)||Xtreme Fighting Organization 22||February 23, 2008||3||5:00||Crystal Lake, Illinois, United States|
|Win||3-0||Caleb Wolff||Submission (triangle choke)||Brutaal Fight Night||January 11, 2008||1||N/A||Maplewood, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||2-0||Nathan Oliver||Decision (unanimous)||UCS: Battle on the Bay 8||October 20, 2007||N/A||N/A||Superior, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||1-0||Chaylen Rader||Submission (strikes)||Cage Fighting Xtreme 6||September 29, 2007||1||2:17||Brainerd, Minnesota, United States|
- "Paulo Thiago reportedly meets UFC newcomer Jacob Volkmann at UFC 106". MMAJunkie. October 26, 2009. Retrieved November 16, 2009.
- Stupp, Dann (May 11, 2010). "Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann now official for UFC 116 preliminary card". MMAJunkie. Retrieved May 12, 2010.
- "Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann moved from UFC 116 to UFC on Versus 2". MMAjunkie.
- "Antonio McKee vs. Jacob Volkmann in the works for UFC 125 in January". MMAJUNKIE.com. 2010-10-02. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "UFC Fighter Jacob Volkmann Calls Out President Barack Obama, Gets a Visit from the Secret Service". MMAWeekly.com. 2010-01-05. Retrieved 2011-01-05.
- Mewling Obama Supporter Calls Secret Service, Attempts to Inform on UFC Fighter by Confederate Yankee
- Moynihan, Michael C. (2011-01-06 UFC Fighter Earns a Visit from the Secret Service, Reason
- "UFC Stands By Jacob Volkmann After Controversial Comments". MMAWeekly.
- "Lightweights Danny Castillo vs. Jacob Volkmann set for UFC on Versus 5". mmajunkie.com. May 11, 2011.
- "Jacob Volkmann vs. T.J. Grant booked for UFC 141 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. October 24, 2011.
- Stupp, Dann (December 6, 2011). "'TUF 8' champ Escudero returning to UFC, meets Volkmann at UFC 141". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved December 6, 2011.
- "Minn. Fighter Calls Out Obama -- Again.".
- "Paul Sass handed Jacob Volkmann at UFC 146". espn.com. February 21, 2012. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- "Shane Roller vs. Jacob Volkmann added to September's UFC 151 card in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. July 24, 2012.
- "Roller-Volkmann shifted from UFC 151 to UFC on FX 5". mmajunkie.com. August 23, 2012.
- "Strikeforce lightweight Bobby Green meets Jacob Volkmann at UFC 156". mmajunkie. December 21, 2012.
- MMAjunkie.com Staff (February 20, 2013). "UFC releases Jon Fitch, Vladimir Matyushenko, 14 others". mmajunkie.com.
- "UFC on Versus 2 preliminary-card recap: Volkmann, Riddle and Stann victorious". MMAJUNKIE.com. 2010-08-01. Retrieved 2010-09-13.