|First issue||Winter 2011|
|Based in||New York|
Jacobin is a quarterly "magazine of culture and polemic" based in New York. Its self-styled raison d’être is as a "leading voice of the American left, offering socialist perspectives on politics, economics, and culture". The publication began as an online magazine released in September 2010, but expanded into a print journal later that year. Jacobin has been described by its publisher as a radical publication, "largely the product of a younger generation not quite as tied to the Cold War paradigms that sustained the old leftist intellectual milieus like Dissent or New Politics."
The New York Times ran a profile of Bhaskar Sunkara, the founding editor and publisher of Jacobin in January 2013, commenting on the publication's unexpected success and engagement with mainstream liberalism.
Earlier in 2013, "Jacobin Books" was announced, a partnership with Verso Books and Random House. A collection of essays by Jacobin contributors is also slated to be published by Henry Holt and Company in 2015. "Class Action: An Activist Teacher’s Handbook," produced in conjunction with the Chicago Teachers Union's CORE Caucus and Jacobin was distributed to trade union activists in the sixteen cities in the United States and Canada. Additionally, since the fall of 2014, Jacobin has sponsored more than sixty socialist reading groups.
- "About". Jacobin. Retrieved 2014-06-19.
- "This is what you need to know". Bookforum. September 28, 2010.
- Blumgart, Jake (December 18, 2012). "The Next Left: An Interview with Bhaskar Sunkara".
- "No Short-Cuts: Interview with the Jacobin". Idiom magazine. March 16, 2011.
- Schuessler, Jennifer (January 1, 2013). "A Young Publisher Takes Marx Into the Mainstream". The New York Times.
- Michelle Goldberg. "A Generation of Intellectuals Shaped by 2008 Crash Rescues Marx From History’s Dustbin". Tablet.
- Verso. "Jacobin Books series".
- Jacobin. "Class Action: An Activist Teacher’s Handbook".
- Jacobin. "Jacobin Reading Groups Listing".
- Official website
- "A Young Publisher Takes Marx Into the Mainstream", Jennifer Schuessler, The New York Times, 20 January 2013
- New Left Review on Jacobin
- "New York literary magazines – start spreading the news", Hermione Hoby, The Observer, 5 January 2013
|This magazine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.