Jacobs School of Engineering
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2009)|
|Jacobs School of Engineering|
|Location||La Jolla, San Diego, California, USA
The Jacobs School of Engineering at the University of California, San Diego is an undergraduate and graduate-level engineering school offering Bachelor of Science (BS), Master of Engineering (MEng), Master of Science (MS), and Doctorate (PhD) degree programs. The Jacobs School of Engineering is the youngest engineering school of the nation's top fifteen, as well as being the largest engineering school in the University of California system. The faculty includes 17 members of the National Academies.
Engineering programs began at UCSD during the 1964 academic year with a broad applied science department in the areas of aerospace engineering, solid mechanics, bioengineering and materials. In 1982, UCSD combined the engineering departments into the Division of Engineering, led by the first dean, Lea Rudee. It would be another ten years until the Division of Engineering was renamed the School of Engineering. This time, it was Robert Conn, an expert in plasma physics and semiconductors who was chosen to lead the new School. It was in 1997, when Qualcomm founder and former UCSD engineering professor Irwin Jacobs and his wife Joan Jacobs provided a $15 million endowment for the School, that the School went through a final name change leading to the current name in their honor. In 2003, Irwin and Joan Jacobs added to the endowment with a $110 million gift for scholarships, fellowships, and faculty support.
The School's mission consists of three goals:
- Educate Tomorrow's Technology Leaders
- Conduct Leading Edge Research and Drive Innovation
- Transfer Discoveries to Ensure Societal Benefit and Economic Prosperity
The School is housed in 8 buildings in and around Earl Warren College on the UCSD Campus. This includes Engineering Building Units (EBU) 1 and 2, Atkinson Hall (Calit2), the Center for Magnetic Recording Research, the Powell Structural Research Laboratory, the Powell-Focht Bioengineering Building, Computer Science, and the Structural Engineering Research Facility (SERF).
The Jacobs School of Engineering is currently home to six distinct engineering departments:
- Bioengineering (est. 1994)
- Computer Science and Engineering (est. 1987)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering (est. 1987)
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (est. 1999)
- NanoEngineering (est. 2007)
- Structural Engineering (est. 1999)
The Jacobs School of Engineering overall was ranked 14th in the United States. All six of the Jacobs School's academic departments were ranked in the top 20: The Department of Bioengineering, ranked 3rd in the nation for biomedical engineering behind Johns Hopkins and Georgia Tech. The department has ranked among the top five programs in the nation every year for the past decade. The Jacobs School of Engineering is also the 10th best in the world for engineering/technology and computer sciences, according to an academic ranking of the top 100 world universities published online in February 2008 by the Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong University. The Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE), ranked highly in all categories surveyed: computer systems (9), computer science (13), theory (14), programming language (17) and artificial intelligence (19). The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, ranked 16th in mechanical engineering and 19th in aerospace engineering; the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), ranked 16th in electrical engineering and communications, and 17th in computer engineering; and the Department of Structural Engineering, ranked 17th in the specialty of civil engineering. The interdisciplinary Bioinformatics program, which is offered jointly by eight UCSD departments including the Jacobs School's bioengineering and computer science and engineering departments, ranked 6th in the nation.
- University of California, San Diego
- Engineering colleges in California
- List of engineering programs in the California State University
- Jacobs School Enrollment Figures
- Jacobs School "About Us" facts
- Jacobs School National Academies members list
- Entrepreneur Magazine: Irwin and Joan Jacobs pledge $110 million more to UCSD
- "Best Engineering Schools". America's Best Graduate Schools. U.S. News & World Report. 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (2008). "Top 100 world universities in Engineering/Technology and Computer Sciences". Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "UCSD Department of Computer Science and Engineering". Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- University of California, San Diego
- Jacobs School of Engineering
- Jacobs School of Engineering Family Tree