Jacobs School of Rock
|Location(s)||UC San Diego|
|Years active||2007 - present|
|Founded by||Jacobs School of Engineering|
The Jacobs School of Rock concert series is campus music festival at the University of California, San Diego that usually takes place the tenth week of the spring quarter. The concert series was started by UCSD Computer Science & Engineering (CSE) professor Serge Belongie and Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) professor Gert Lanckriet and is organized by students, staff and faculty from the UCSD Jacobs School of Engineering. Participating bands are required to have at least one member that is affiliated with the Jacobs School.
The first JSOR concert (JSOR I) was held on June 8, 2007 and featured bands representing the departments of Bioengineering, CSE and ECE. The second JSOR concert (JSOR II) took place on June 5, 2009, with bands representing CSE, ECE, and Calit2. Both concerts took place at The Stage at Porter's Pub on the UCSD campus. JSOR III and IV followed on June 4, 2010 and June 3, 2011, respectively, establishing the pattern of holding event on the last day of classes in the spring quarter. JSOR V saw the venue change to The Loft.
- 2012 - Marlena & The Wang, SegFault, Fault, Blue Fuzz, Foxxy Chancellor, Telefunk, C0DE, The Lifted, SO3.
- 2011 - Marlena Fecho, Five+2, Pfft Kick, Telefunk, C0DE, SO3, Foxxy Chancellor.
- 2010 - CaliTH, Diversion Sound, $2 Stallion, RC/LC, Juna, Blue Through Red, C0DE.
- 2009 - Nickolaus Mueller, Blue Through Red, The Contrapositives, SO3, Juna, C0DE, Reverse Cowgirl Junkies. Visuals by fuBar Collective.
- 2007 - Island Style, Random Play, Audition Lab, The Contrapositives, SO3.
The logo for the concert series, which combines a silhouette of the sculpture Bear by Tim Hawkinson (located in the engineering quad by Calit2) with the outline of a Fender Stratocaster, was designed by Boris Babenko.
- Jacobs School of Rock Homepage
- Engineers Will Rock Porter's Pub at UCSD
- The Jacobs School or Rock... Rocked!
- Nickolaus Mueller