|Beauty pageant titleholder|
Fernandez at the launch of Gillette's new range, October 2013.
11 August 1985 |
Jacqueline Fernandez (born 11 August 1985) is an Indian film actress, former model, and the winner of the Miss Sri Lanka Universe pageant of 2006. She is best known for her work in Hindi films. After graduating in Mass communication, she worked as a journalist in Sri Lanka, whilst also modelling. She made her acting debut in 2009 with Aladin, and was awarded the IIFA Award for Star Debut of the Year – Female and the Stardust Award for Best Exciting Face. Fernandez gained recognition with a role in the erotic thriller Murder 2 (2011), which emerged as her first commercial success. Thereafter, she appeared in successful films like Housefull 2 (2012) and Race 2 (2013). Alongside her acting career, Fernandez is a social activist, participates in stage shows, is a celebrity endorser for brands.
Early life and pageantry
Fernandez was born on 11 August 1985, into a mixed ethnic family, in which her father is a Sri Lankan, while her mother is of mixed Malaysian and Canadian ancestry. Her great-grandparents were originally from Goa, India. She is the youngest of four, with one older sister, and two older brothers. Although, she was born and raised in Bahrain, she said she originally lived in Sri Lanka. Prior to become a TV reporter, she started hosting TV shows in Bahrain, when she was barely fourteen years old. After graduating in Mass Communication from Australia, she moved to Sri Lanka, where she relocated at her grandparents place, and joined a Television station. From then, she began reporting and investigating mainly on political turmoil. According to an article published in Lanka Journal, she had aspired to become an actress, when she was eight years old. Although, she was a TV reporter, she accepted offers to join the modeling industry, which came as a result of her pageant entrance and for which she was crowned the Miss Sri Lanka Universe 2006, and represented her state at Miss Universe 2006 held in Los Angeles where she was unplaced. In 2007, Fernandez appeared on her first commercial in a music video for Sri Lankan duo Bathiya and Santhush.
Fernandez made her acting debut in the 2009 Bollywood fantasy movie Aladin playing a character inspired by the Disney Princess character of Jasmine. For her performance, Fernandez received mixed reviews, with Anupama Chopra of NDTV calling her a "plastic debutant". However, Taran Adarsh of BollywoodHungama complimented her more on her looks, rather than her performance by saying, "Jacqueline Fernandez gets no scope, but she looks gorgeous nonetheless. In year 2010, she was seen once again appearing alongside Ritesh Deshmukh in the romantic comedy Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai. She received mainly negative reviews for her performance. Rediff criticized her by writing," She gamely makes a fool of herself whilst aping the actions of movie stars, ranging from Sridevi's Naagin dance, Mithun Chakravarthy's Disco Dancer moves to Big B's violent headshake in Hum. Her Tara could be a keeper if only Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai wasn't so intent on turning her into a love-struck Barbie. That year, she made a cameo appearance in Sajid Khan's Housefull in the song "Dhanno".
In 2011, Fernandez appeared in her third film, Mahesh Bhatt's thriller Murder 2. Fernandez played the role of Priya, a lonely model who is in a confused relationship with Arjun Bhagwat, played by Emraan Hashmi. Fernandez grabbed a lot of attention for the boldness and sex appeal she displayed in the movie, with her performance receiving decent reviews.
OneIndia Entertainment said, "Jacqueline being bold and sexy grabs a lot of eyeballs for the oomph factor. Her performance is decent." Taran Adarsh of BollywoodHungama said, "Stepping into Mallika's shoes in the sequel is Jacqueline. Like Mallika, she takes the boldness quotient to the next level with her sexy avatar. She should grab a lot of eyeballs for the oomph factor, while her performance is decent. In fact, she gets little scope to display histrionics, but she makes a sincere attempt to portray her character with care." Murder 2 launched Fernandez's career for the good, as she started getting offers from big production houses. Post Murder 2 success, Fernandez turned down many roles, such as Raaz 3, to avoid being type cast as a sex symbol. She was also considered for Bindu's 'Mona Darling' act in the remake of Zanjeer but she walked out from the project for the same reasons. She also turned down a role in Krrish 3, but that was due to date conflicts.
In 2012, Fernandez appeared in Housefull 2 with an ensemble cast which included Akshay Kumar, Asin and Rishi Kapoor. It became one of the top grossing productions of India that year and grossed 186 crore (US$31 million) worldwide. Also, Fernandez received positive reviews for her performance. Gaurav Malani of Times Of India stated, "So Jacqueline Fernandez wins the race with her gorgeous looks..." Mrigank Dhaniwala of KoiMoi said, "Of all the girls, Asin and Jacqueline Fernandez get the meatiest of roles and they do not disappoint." Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave a mixed review by saying, "Amongst the female leads, Asin has the meatiest role and gives a decent account of herself. Jacqueline, Shazahn and Zarine act more as eye candy. They are the typical sultry and enticing selves; each one is befitting in her own space."
Fernandez's first release of 2013 was Race 2 which was described by critics as the "cinematic equivalent of a trashy novel", however was a major box office success, with collections surpassing the 1 billion (US$17 million) mark. Her performance in the film met with generally positive reviews, with Lisa Tsering, of The Hollywood Reporter stating, "Miss Sri Lanka Jacqueline Fernandez, a leggy beauty with a talent for action who now counts seven Indian films under her belt, is another plus. Welcome to Bollywood, Miss Fernandez". Joginder Tuteja of Indicine noted, "Jacqueline has a bigger part to play and she does it well while looking her best."
As of May 2014, Fernandez has three projects all in different stages of production. She will feature opposite Salman Khan in Sajid Nadiawala's action comedy thriller film Kick, a remake of the 2009 Telugu film of the same name, which is currently in post-production stages. She is currently shooting for Vicky Singh's romantic-action film Roy, in which she features in a double role opposite actors Ranbir Kapoor and Arjun Rampal. Fernandez is also slated to appear in Chandran Rutnam's crime-thriller According to Mathew.
In the media
In addition to acting in films, Fernandez has supported charitable organisations, and performed for stage shows. In the early 2013, on the behalf of people for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) Asia, she sent a letter to the consulate general of the Philippines in Colombo, Sri Lanka, to expedite the transfer of the elephant Mali from the inadequate Manila Zoo to a lush sanctuary. That year, she auctions a breakfast in Mayfair, London which she raises around £4000 for helping Pratham (her friend's) NGO involving for Children's primary education. She then went on to join hands with PETA in order to prevent cruelty to horses.
Fernandez made her first commercial alongside Hrithik Roshan for Sony Ericsson. Later, she became popular after appearing in a Pepsi commercial with Ranbir Kapoor and Sanjay Dutt. She has appeared in a commercial with the actor Aamir Khan for Titan Watches. Fernandez is also the brand ambassador of Nestlé's brand Maggi and Lux in Sri Lanka.
In early 2013, she became the ambassador for HTC One which she endorses in India. and, she was chosen as the face of Indian Bridal Fashion Week—IBFW of 2013. On 16 October, she launched Gareth Pugh's designed Forevermark Diamonds in Mumbai, as the spokesperson and inaugurated Forever 21 store in Mumbai. That year, she also launched Gilette revolutionary shaving system with Arbaaz Khan and Aditya Roy Kapur. Fernandez along with Huma Qureshi was also signed as brand ambassador of Mumbai Heroes, Sohail Khan's cricket team in the CCL (Celebrity Cricket League) that features matches between star based teams from all across India.
In 2011, a poll conducted by the newspaper, Times of India ranked her #7, among ''Top 50 Most Desirable Women''. Following, the next year, she ranked #8, in the second version of the poll. In the early 2013, Indian [edition] FHM magazine, ranked her at #21; of ''100 Sexiest Women In The World 2013.'' In the same year, a newspaper, ''World Actuality'', ranked her #23, among the ''most beautiful women in the world.''
She has been the cover model for many Indian editions of magazines, including Vogue (June 2010), FHM (January 2013), Maxim (June 2011), Cosmopolitan (March 2013 & April 2012), Grazia (February 2012), Elle (September 2012), Verve (March 2012), Harper's Bazaar (May 2012), Women's Health (May 2012), L'Officiel (December 2012) and Femina (July 2010) among others.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2010||Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai||Tara|
|2010||Housefull||Dhanno||Special appearance in song "Aapka Kya Hoga (Dhanno)"|
|2012||Housefull 2: The Dirty Dozen||Bobby Kapoor|
|2013||Ramaiya Vastavaiya||Herself||Special appearance in song "Jaadu Ki Jhappi"|
|2010||International Indian Film Academy Awards||Star Plus Debut of the Year – Female||Aladin||Won|
|Stardust Awards||Exciting New Face||Won|
|7th Annual Central European Bollywood Awards||Breakthrough Female||Won |
|2012||Stardust Awards||Best Actress (Thriller/Action)||Murder 2||Nominated|
|2013||International Indian Film Academy Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Housefull 2: The Dirty Dozen||Nominated|
|12th Teacher's Achievement Awards||Artistic Versatility||Won |
|Asianet Film Awards||Most Stylish Bollywood Actor||—||Won|
- Fernandez, Jacqueline (2 June 2013). "My birthday is 11th aug! So save all the wishes for that day pls!!". Twitter.com. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- "I Wish In One Lifetime I'd Be Able To Work Opposite Salman": Jacqueline Fernandez. Bollywood Hungama. 5:20 minutes in. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- Joshi, Priya (3 September 2013). "Jacqueline Fernandez confirms double role in 'Roy'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- Gayathry (25 December 2012). "I would easily take a bullet for my family: Jacqueline". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-06-29.
- "Sri Lankan beauty fulfils childhood dream with Aladin". Lanka Journal. 14 October 2009. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- "2006". Pageantopolis.com. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez talks about Aladin and working with her co-stars".
- "Aladin | NDTV Movies.com". Movies.ndtv.com. 30 October 2009. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Aladin (2009) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Review: Jaane Kahan ... could have been a gag fest - Rediff.com Movies". Movies.rediff.com. 2010-04-09. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Rating, Movie. "Murder 2 Review - Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Murder 2 (2011) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "John can make a rice-sack look sexy: Jacqueline". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- "'Zanjeer' remake: Mahie Gill beats Jacqueline;plays Mona Darling". IBNLive. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- Gaurav Malani, TNN 6 Apr 2012, 08.00PM IST (6 April 2012). "Housefull 2: Movie Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Housefull 2 Review". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Housefull 2 (2012) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "'Race 2' Review: It's the cinematic equivalent of a trashy novel but seldom bores you". Ibnlive.in.com. 2013-01-26. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Race 2 enters Rs.100 crore club". India Today. 8 February 2014. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Saif-Deepika's Race 2 enters Rs. 100 crore club". Hindustan Times. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "'Race 2' joins Rs. 100 crore club". Deccan Herald. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Race 2 joins 100 crore club". NDTV Movies. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Race 2: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Race 2 Review". Indicine.com. 25 January 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Ramaiya Vastavaiya (2013) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez’s two characters in Roy different from each other". Indian Express. 10 May 2014. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Arjun Rampal starts shooting Roy with Jacqueline Fernandez". Digital Spy. 9 May 2014. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Photos - Jacqueline Fernandez on the sets of ‘Roy'". Apunka Choice. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Movie on Father Mathew Peiris set for Hollywood". Columbo Gazette. 2013-07-07. Retrieved 2014-04-13.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez stands of the support of elephants in Sri Lanka". firstpost.com. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez raises 4000 pounds for charity". mid-day.com. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Temptations Reloaded: Shahrukh Khan, Jacqueline Fernandez, Madhuri Dixit wow fans in Auckland". IBNLive.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez HTC One ambassador". emirates247.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez talks brides and weddings". Indian Express. 2013-08-10. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez Unveils Forevermark Diamonds [PHOTOS] - International Business Times". Ibtimes.co.in. 2013-10-17. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Event Gallery: Jacqueline Fernandez Stuns in Striped Outfit at Forever 21 Store Inauguration [PHOTOS] - International Business Times". Ibtimes.co.in. 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez Launches Gillette Shaving System". yahoo.com. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "FHM India's 100 Sexiest Women In The World 2013: The full list!". pinkvilla.com. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "JACQUELINE FERNANDEZ HOT PHOTOSHOOT FOR FHM MAGAZINE". desiclicks.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Hottest magazine covers". indiatimes.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez on the cover of Verve Magazine". bollywoodworld.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez's magazine covers". lucywho.com. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "'3 Idiots’ triumphs at IIFA | Movies". Dailymirror.lk. 6 June 2010. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- "Winners of Max Stardust Awards 2010". Bollywood Hungama. 18 January 2010. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "7th Annual Central European Bollywood Awards". Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez—Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Kerala News - Asianet Film Awards 2013 Full List of Winners; award for Mohanlal, Anjali Menon, KS Chitra (Video)". Ukmalayalee.com. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jacqueline Fernandez.|
|Awards and achievements|
|Miss Universe Sri Lanka