Fernandez walks the ramp at AVCIBFW 2013
August 11, 1985 |
Colombo, Western Province, Sri Lanka
|Relatives||Frederica Jansz (Cousin)|
Jacqueline Fernandez (born 11 August 1985) is a Sri Lankan actress and former model. She was born in Colombo and raised in Bahrain. She was winner of Miss Sri Lanka Universe pageant in 2006. After graduating in mass communication from the University of Melbourne, she worked as a journalist in Sri Lanka. In the late 2007, she came to India on a modeling assignment but end up marking her acting debut in 2009 movie Aladin for which she won the IIFA Award for Best Female Debut and won the Stardust Award for the Best Exciting New Face. Following the next year she appeared in Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai. She rose to prominence by playing the lead protangonist in Murder 2 (2011), Housefull 2 (2012) and Race 2 (2013). She is currently working on According to Mathew, which is her first English film. Apart from her acting career, she is a social activist, she participates in stage shows, and is a celebrity endorser for brands and products.
Fernandez was born on 11 August 1985, to a Sri Lankan Burgher father and a Malaysian mother. At the age of three her family, including her three siblings moved to Bahrain, where she spent most of her childhood. She moved to Australia for her college degree in Mass Communications, and then moved back to Sri Lanka where she worked in modelling, and television reporting and hosting. In March 2006, Fernandez was crowned the Miss Sri Lanka Universe 2006 and subsequently represented Sri Lanka at Miss Universe 2006 held in Los Angeles where she was unplaced. In 2007 Jacqueline appeared on a Music video of Sri Lankan singing sensation Bathiya and Santhush which was her first commercial appearance.
From there she began receiving offers to go to India for more modelling, and she got selected for a Bollywood film. She has worked as an anchorwoman on one of Sri Lanka's business programs called "Lanka Business Report". She also writes a weekly column for a national newspaper, the "Daily mirror". Jacqueline also has a non-profit organisation in Sri Lanka focusing on empowering the underprivileged. She has come in a VIP ad with Shahid Kapoor
2009-10: Film debut
Fernandez made her acting debut in the 2009 Bollywood fantasy movie Aladin opposite Ritesh Deshmukh. She played a character inspired by the Disney Princess character of Jasmine. For her performance, Fernandez received mixed reviews, with Anupama Chopra of NDTV calling her a "plastic debutant". However, Taran Adarsh of BollywoodHungama complimented her more on her looks, rather than her performance by saying, "Jacqueline Fernandez gets no scope, but she looks gorgeous nonetheless. In the year of 2010, she was seen once again appearing alongside Ritesh Deshmukh in the romantic comedy Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai. She received mixed reviews for her performance. While Google wrote,"Jacqueline Fernandez is fabulous. Her acting is too sweet and cute. Apart from her stunning beauty, she is talented to the core.", Rediff criticized her by writing," She gamely makes a fool of herself whilst aping the actions of movie stars, ranging from Sridevi's Naagin dance, Mithun Chakravarthy's Disco Dancer moves to Big B's violent headshake in Hum. Her Tara could be a keeper if only Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai wasn't so intent on turning her into a love-struck Barbie. She also made a cameo appearance in Sajid Khan's Housefull in the song 'Dhanno' which was a big success, hence giving her positive recognition.
2011-13: Breakthrough & success
In 2011, Fernandez appeared in her third film, Mahesh Bhatt's thriller Murder 2 which went on to become a huge blockbuster. Fernandez played the role of Priya, a lonely model who is in a confused relationship with Arjun Bhagwat, played by Emraan Hashmi. Fernandez grabbed a lot of attention for the boldness and sex appeal she displayed in the movie, with her performance receiving decent reviews. OneIndia Entertainment said, "Jacqueline being bold and sexy grabs a lot of eyeballs for the oomph factor. Her performance is decent." Taran Adarsh of BollywoodHungama said, "Stepping into Mallika's shoes in the sequel is Jacqueline. Like Mallika, she takes the boldness quotient to the next level with her sexy avatar. She should grab a lot of eyeballs for the oomph factor, while her performance is decent. In fact, she gets little scope to display histrionics, but she makes a sincere attempt to portray her character with care." Murder 2 launched Fernandez's career for the good, as she started getting offers from big production houses. Post Murder 2 success, Fernandez turned down many roles, such as Raaz 3, to avoid being type cast as a sex symbol. She was also considered for Bindu's iconic 'Mona Darling' act in the remake of Zanjeer but she walked out from the project for the same reasons. She also turned down a role in Krrish 3, but that was due to date conflicts. She ranked at #7 in Time's Top 50 Most Desirable Women of 2011.
In 2012, Fernandez appeared in Housefull 2 with an ensemble cast which included Akshay Kumar, Asin and Rishi Kapoor. It became one of the top grossing productions of India that year and grossed 186 crore (US$28 million) worldwide. Also, Fernandez received positive reviews for her performance. Gaurav Malani of Times Of India stated, "So Jacqueline Fernandez wins the race with her gorgeous looks..." Mrigank Dhaniwala of KoiMoi said, "Of all the girls, Asin and Jacqueline Fernandez get the meatiest of roles and they do not disappoint." Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave a mixed review by saying, "Amongst the female leads, Asin has the meatiest role and gives a decent account of herself. Jacqueline, Shazahn and Zarine act more as eye candy. They are the typical sultry and enticing selves; each one is befitting in her own space."
Fernandez's first release of 2013 was Race 2 alongside Saif Ali Khan, Deepika Padukone, Anil Kapoor, Ameesha Patel and John Abraham.She described her character as the "most negative character" she has played. Although the film was described as the "cinematic equivalent of a trashy novel" by most critics, she received mostly positive reviews for her performance. Lisa Tsering, of The Hollywood Reporter stated, "Miss Sri Lanka Jacqueline Fernandez, a leggy beauty with a talent for action who now counts seven Indian films under her belt, is another plus. Welcome to Bollywood, Miss Fernandez". Joginder Tuteja of Indicine mentioned, "Jacqueline has a bigger part to play and she does it well while looking her best." Komal Nahta commented, "Jacqueline Fernandez is also sexy and stylish."Indiaglitz stated, "Deepika Padukone looks delicious and does a fabulous job so is Jacqueline Fernandez who shows improvement as an actor." Despite this, the film opened to a high positive response at the box office, collecting 79.60 crore (US$12 million) throughout the first week and emerged as a major financial success, collecting 160 crore (US$24 million) worldwide. She ranked at #8 in Time's Top 50 Most Desirable Women of 2012.
Fernandez appeared in an item number in Prabhu Deva's Ramaiya Vasta Vaiya which released in July. She was appreciated for the song. Taran Adarsh commented," Jacqueline Fernandez and Prabhu Dheva's song is high on energy."
As of July 2013, Fernandez has begun filming for Sajid Nadiawala's action film Kick opposite Salman Khan, and pre-production work for Vicky Singh's romantic-action film Roy opposite Ranbir Kapoor. Fernandez is also currently shooting for Chandran Rutnam's crime-thriller According to Mathew, which is her Hollywood debut.
In the media
In addition to acting in films, Fernandez has supported charitable organisations, and performed for stage shows. In the early 2013, on the behalf of people for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) Asia, she sent a letter to the consulate general of the Philippines in Colombo, Sri Lanka, to expedite the transfer of the elephant Mali from the inadequate Manila Zoo to a lush sanctuary. That year, she auctions a breakfast in Mayfair, London which she raises around £4000 for helping Pratham (her friend's) NGO involving for Children's primary education. She then went on to join hands with PETA in order to prevent cruelty to horses.
Fernandez made her first commercial alongside Hrithik Roshan for Sony Ericsson. Later, she became popular after appearing in a Pepsi commercial with Ranbir Kapoor and Sanjay Dutt. She has appeared in a commercial with the actor Aamir Khan for Titan Watches. Fernandez is also the brand ambassador of Nestlé's brand Maggi and Lux in Sri Lanka. In early 2013, she became the ambassador for HTC One which she endorses in India. and, she was chosen as the face of Indian Bridal Fashion Week—IBFW of 2013. On 16 October, she launched Gareth Pugh's designed Forevermark Diamonds in Mumbai, as the spokesperson and inaugurated Forever 21 store in Mumbai. That year, she also launched Gilette revolutionary shaving system with Arbaaz Khan and Aditya Roy Kapur.
In 2011, a poll conducted by the newspaper, Times of India ranked her #8, among ''Top 50 Most Desirable Women''. Following, the next year, she ranked #8, in the second version of the poll. In the early 2013, Indian [edition] FHM magazine, ranked her at #21; of ''100 Sexiest Women In The World 2013.'' In the same year, a newspaper, ''World Actuality'', ranked her #23, among the ''most beautiful women in the world.''
She has graced the covers of many Indian editions of magazines, including Vogue (June 2010), FHM (January 2013), Maxim (June 2011), Cosmopolitan (March 2013 & April 2012), Grazia (February 2012), Elle (September 2012), Verve (March 2012), Harper's Bazaar (May 2012), Women's Health (May 2012), L'Officiel (December 2012) and Femina (July 2010) among others.
|2010||Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai||Tara|
|2010||Housefull||Dhanno||Special appearance in song "Aapka Kya Hoga (Dhanno)"|
|2012||Housefull 2: The Dirty Dozen||Bobby Kapoor|
|2013||Ramaiya Vastavaiya||Herself||Special appearance in song "Jaadu Ki Jhappi"|
|2014||According to Mathew||Daphne||English-language film
|2014||Roy||Ayesha / Tia||Pre-production; releasing June 20, 2014|
|2010||International Indian Film Academy Awards||Best Female Debut||Aladin||Won|
|2010||Stardust Awards||Lux Best Exciting New Face||Aladin||Won|
|2012||Stardust Awards||Best Actress (Thriller/Action)||Murder 2||Nominated|
|2013||Asianet Film Awards||Most Stylish Bollywood Actor||Won|
|2013||12th Teacher's Achievement Awards||Artistic Versatility||Won|
|2013||International Indian Film Academy Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Housefull 2: The Dirty Dozen||Nominated|
- "I Wish In One Lifetime I'd Be Able To Work Opposite Salman": Jacqueline Fernandez. Bollywood Hungama. 5:20 minutes in. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- Fernandez, Jacqueline (2 June 2013). "My birthday is 11th aug! So save all the wishes for that day pls!!". Twitter.com. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- Joshi, Priya (3 September 2013). "Jacqueline Fernandez confirms double role in 'Roy'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- Gayathry (25 December 2012). "I would easily take a bullet for my family: Jacqueline". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-06-29.
- Gayathry (24 March 2010). "Jackie feels her struggle is nothing". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- "Sexy Jacqueline Fernandez Dazzles On The Cover Of M | Bollywood News". Hindifilmnews.com. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez taken?". gulfnews. 12 June 2011. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez visits family in Bahrain - Entertainment - DNA". Dnaindia.com. 20 October 2011. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- "Sri Lankan beauty fulfils childhood dream with Aladin". Lanka Journal. 14 October 2009. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- [dead link]
- "2006". Pageantopolis.com. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- "Oh Sathi - Bathiya & Santhush". YouTube. 2007-07-26. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Modelling Career of Jacque". google News. 19 September 2008. Retrieved 2010-01-20.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez talks about Aladin and working with her co-stars".
- "Aladin | NDTV Movies.com". Movies.ndtv.com. 30 October 2009. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Aladin (2009) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Review: Jaane Kahan ... could have been a gag fest - Rediff.com Movies". Movies.rediff.com. 2010-04-09. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Rating, Movie. "Murder 2 Review - Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Murder 2 (2011) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "John can make a rice-sack look sexy: Jacqueline". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- "'Zanjeer' remake: Mahie Gill beats Jacqueline;plays Mona Darling". IBNLive. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "My bad luck I couldn't do 'Krrish 3': Jacqueline - Times Of India".[dead link]
- "Times 50 Most Desirable Women of 2011 : The Winners - The Times of India". The Times of India. 4 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- Gaurav Malani, TNN 6 Apr 2012, 08.00PM IST (6 April 2012). "Housefull 2: Movie Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Housefull 2 Review". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Housefull 2 (2012) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- Name *. "Jacqueline Fernandez's talks about her role". Bollywood Celebden. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "'Race 2' Review: It's the cinematic equivalent of a trashy novel but seldom bores you". Ibnlive.in.com. 2013-01-26. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Race 2: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Race 2 Review". Indicine.com. 25 January 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Race 2 Bollywood Movie Review - cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes". Indiaglitz.com. 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "RACE 2 review | Komal Nahta's Blog". Komalsreviews.wordpress.com. 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Race 2 collects Rs.79.6 crore in first week". Hindustan Times. 2 February 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Ramaiya Vastavaiya (2013) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- Tuteja, Joginder. "Jacqueline has the last laugh as Sajid picks her up for Kick". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- "According to Matthew - A Film on The Most Diabolical Murders of Our Time". PR Inside. 14 June 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez stands of the support of elephants in Sri Lanka". firstpost.com. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez raises 4000 pounds for charity". mid-day.com. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez & Ritesh Deshmukh- Performance at the 55th Idea fIlmfare Awards 2010!". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Temptations Reloaded: Shahrukh Khan, Jacqueline Fernandez, Madhuri Dixit wow fans in Auckland". IBNLive.
- "Hrithik Roshan & Jacqueline Fernandez in Sony Ericsson". Youtube.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez in Pepsi commercial with Ranbir Kapoor and Sanjay Dutt". Youtube.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Aamir Khan & Jacqueline Fernandez -- Titan Purple commercial". Youtube.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline fernandez at maggi noodles advertiestment in sri lanka". Youtube.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "LUX Beauty Bodywash Music Video Stg. Jacqueline Fernandez". Youtube.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez HTC One ambassador". emirates247.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez talks brides and weddings". Indian Express. 2013-08-10. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez Unveils Forevermark Diamonds [PHOTOS] - International Business Times". Ibtimes.co.in. 2013-10-17. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Event Gallery: Jacqueline Fernandez Stuns in Striped Outfit at Forever 21 Store Inauguration [PHOTOS] - International Business Times". Ibtimes.co.in. 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez Launches Gillette Shaving System". yahoo.com. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "FHM India's 100 Sexiest Women In The World 2013: The full list!". pinkvilla.com. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "JACQUELINE FERNANDEZ HOT PHOTOSHOOT FOR FHM MAGAZINE". desiclicks.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Hottest magazine covers". indiatimes.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez on the cover of Verve Magazine". bollywoodworld.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Jacqueline Fernandez's magazine covers". lucywho.com. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "'3 Idiots’ triumphs at IIFA | Movies". Dailymirror.lk. 6 June 2010. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- "Kerala News - Asianet Film Awards 2013 Full List of Winners; award for Mohanlal, Anjali Menon, KS Chitra (Video)". Ukmalayalee.com. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jacqueline Fernandez.|
|Awards and achievements|
|Miss Universe Sri Lanka