January 10, 1966
Manhattan, New York City
|Residence||New York, New York
|Education||B.A., Tufts University
M.B.A., Baruch College
|Occupation||Chief operating officer|
|Employer||Telemundo Media (2008-present)|
Jacqueline Hernández (born January 10, 1966) is a Hispanic American multimedia business woman and the chief operating officer of Telemundo Media, a division of NBC Universal. Hernández was born and raised in Manhattan, New York City. She was publisher of People En Español and Teen People magazines when she was at Time Warner, where she also worked on Time, Fortune, and Turner Broadcasting International's CNN, TNT Latin America and Cartoon Network. Hernández has received recognition within the media, entertainment and marketing industries for her leadership and expertise related to the understanding of Hispanic consumer behavior in the United States.
Hernández was born in New York City, the daughter of Diego and Mercedes Hernández. She attended high school at Birch Wathen Lenox School in Manhattan, and graduated a year ahead of schedule. During this year, she attended Advanced Placement classes at Cornell in Ithaca, New York. Jacqueline went on to attend Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts, where she graduated with a B.A. in English and art history in 1988. She later completed graduate studies with a M.B.A. in marketing from Baruch College.
In 1996, following prior work at The Boston Globe and The Village Voice, Hernández joined Time Inc., where she worked across various divisions of Time Warner. As marketing director of Time Inc. Latin America and International, she received the President's Award, for playing a lead role in the development of the first bilingual media program (in English and Spanish) to reach the Latino audience of Time Inc. media properties including TIME, Asiaweek and Fortune in the US and abroad.
Hernández was employed by CNN International, a division of Time, Inc., to oversee the company's international interactive strategy, where she led more than 20 individual country websites, including in-language sites for Latin America (CNNenEspanol.com), Brazil (CNNbrazil.com) and Japan (CNN.co.jp). She was later responsible for managing television and integrated sponsorships on Turner's international media properties, including TNT Latin America and Cartoon Network.
People en Español magazine
In 2004 Hernández was appointed as publisher of People en Español magazine, her first position with a primary focus on the U.S. Hispanic demographic. The following year, she also took on the role of publisher for Teen People. People en Español, while under her leadership, grew its circulation volume by an annual percentage rate in the double-digits, for three years. In March, 2007, the publication was named one of the “Most Notable Magazine Launches of the Past 20 Years” by Media Industry News, while also being listed on Adweek's Hot List "10 under 50" for the fourth consecutive year. Jacqueline also led a relaunch of the magazine's Web site, peopleenespanol.com. As a result of her work during this time, she was named as Adweek's "Marketing y Medios' Executive of the Year" on April 1, 2006 and was also recognized as one of Advertising Age’s ”Women to Watch in 2007.”
In April 2008, Telemundo Media named Jacqueline Hernández as its chief operating officer. Hernández's role at Telemundo has involved establishing a unified approach to marketing for Telemundo across network, television stations and digital platforms. She reorganized the various sales practices under one new umbrella, the “Telemundo Group,” and shortly thereafter was included as one of People en Español's “25 Most Powerful Women" in 2009 and 2011. Hernández also launched several research initiatives including launching the Pulse Research Center, and in May 2010 announcing a psychographic study with Starcom MediaVest Group called 'Beyond Demographics: Identity Study'.
As chief operating officer, Hernández oversees mun2, NBC Universal's cable network targeted to young Latino Americans in the 18-34 age range. In 2010, under Hernández's leadership the network launched a news special called "The New America" which garnered audience appeal, also was re-aired across NBCU on the MSNBC cable television network, one of the first cross-company content collaborations. As of 2010 mun2 has been recognized as being the leading cable network for “bicultural Latinos in the U.S.,” the only network of its type that is measured on a national level. It has also gained recognition based on its programming, having received the NAMIC Award and Peabody Award.
New York City Latin Media and Entertainment Commission
In 2008, Hernández was appointed as a commissioner of the New York City Latin Media and Entertainment Commission, which, according to the Mayor of New York City Michael Bloomberg, "...was established to showcase our city's Latino arts and entertainment community and create new opportunities and jobs in these fields."
Women of Worth
She has also participated as a judge since 2007 in the L'Oréal “Women of Worth” awards, an annual award program in which ten women every year receive recognition for individual volunteering and community service efforts.
- Marich, Robert (29 April 2008). "Telemundo Communications Group Names Jacqueline Hernandez COO". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved 1 November 2010.
- Reynolds, Mike (7 April 2008). "Telemundo Taps Jacqueline Hernandez As COO". Multichannel News. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- Wentz, Laurel (21 April 2009). "Latinas Are Technically Savvy, Brand-Loyal 'Chief Household Officers'". Advertising Age. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- "Grad Named Head of 'People en Español'". Tufts University News. Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- "LMEC Commissioner Profile". NYC Latin Media & Entertainment Commission. Retrieved 25 October 2010.
- "Innovations in Hispanic Marketing Conference Bio" (PDF). Trade Meetings. 2005. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "Making People First Priority". Marketing y Medios (AdWeek). 1 April 2006. Retrieved 19 October 2010.
- "People en Espanol’s Jacqueline Hernandez Departs for Telemundo". Advertising Age / HispanicTips. 8 April 2008. Archived from the original on 15 April 2008. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- Reynolds, Mike (7 April 2008). "Telemundo Taps Jacqueline Hernandez As COO". MultiChannel News. Retrieved 27 October 2010.
- "Jacqueline Hernandez, Telemundo Chief Operating Officer, to Address Florida Cable Forum". Florida Cable Forum. 15 April 2010. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- Cartagena, Chiqui (18 May 2010). "New Latino Identity Study Redefines Today's Hispanic Community". AdAge. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- "MSNBC to Air Mun2's 2010 News Special - The New America-Sunday 9th May". News on News. 8 May 2010. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- "mun2 Honored With 2010 CableFAXIE Awards". Broadway World. 5 May 2010. Retrieved 26 October 2010. "mun2, the leading bilingual cable network for bicultural Latinos in the U.S., earned honors at the 2010 CableFAXIE Awards."
- "mun2 The Hook Up Picks up a NAMIC Award". Latin Heat. 23 April 2009. Retrieved 28 October 2010.
- "LMEC Commissioner Biography - Jacqueline Hernandez". NYC.gov. Retrieved 1 November 2010.
- "Mayor Bloomberg and Latin Media and Entertainment Commission Announce New Efforts to Position New York City as the Center for Latin Media and Entertainment". New York City, Office of the Mayor. 12 May 2008. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- "L'Oreal Paris Honors Women Of Worth At Special Ceremony In New York City". TheStreet. 9 December 2009. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- Variety: Telemundo Opens Production Studio “Fluency” To Broaden Auds, Boost Ads
- 2012 THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER's Power 100 Women In Entertainment
- AD AGE's The 100 Most Influential Women In Advertising
- 2011 People en Español '25 Most Powerful Women'
- CableFax: The Most Influential Minorities in Cable 2011
- 2011 ADCOLOR Awards: Jacqueline Hernandez,Telemundo/NBCUniversal - Innovator Honoree
- NEW YORK TIMES 2012 Spanish and English Mix in a Web Telenovela
- CRAIN'S MAGAZINE 2012 'Jacqueline Hernandez: Her Cup runneth over'
- BROADCAST&CABLE MAGAZINE 2012 'Telemundo's Upfront Is Broadway Bound'
- NPR NEWS 2012 'Media Outlets Adapt To Growing Hispanic Audience'
- Hernández interview with Media Life Magazine
- NGL Consortium interview with Jacqueline Hernández
- Telemundo Launches Social Media Unit
- New York Times: A Growing Population, and Target, for Marketers
- Fast Company: Jackie Hernandez Talks Cross-Promotion At NBCUniversal
- iVillage Interview with Jacqueline Hernandez, COO of Telemundo
- Telemundo’s Latina Leadership
- Women at NBCU Event Focuses on Reaching the Female Hispanic Consumer
- Telemundo launches ‘Mujer de Hoy – Superate!’
- Official Twitter page
- Official Facebook page