Perrin at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival.
|Born||Jacques André Simonet
13 July 1941
|Years active||1957 – present|
|Spouse(s)||Valentine Perrin (1 December 1995–present)|
Jacques Perrin (born Jacques André Simonet; 13 July 1941) is a French actor and filmmaker. He is occasionally credited as Jacques Simonet. Simonet was his father's name and Perrin his mother's.
Life and career
Perrin was born in Paris. His father, Alexandre Simonet, was a theatre director. Perrin was trained as an actor at the Conservatoire National Supérieur d'Art Dramatique.
He was given his first juvenile film roles by Italian director Valerio Zurlini. He also gave over 400 performances of L'Année du bac on the Paris stage.
He played opposite Claudia Cardinale in the romantic comedy La Ragazza con la valigia and played the younger brother in Family Diary with Marcello Mastroianni, both under the direction of Zurlini. He was also the adult Salvatore in the international hit Cinema Paradiso.
He won two Best Actor awards at the Venice Film Festival in 1966 for the Italian film Almost a Man and the Spanish film The Search.
He collaborated with Costa Gavras again in État de Siège (State of Siege) in 1973 and Section spéciale in 1975. Both films had political themes, and Perrin continued this trend with a documentary on the Algerian uprising (La guerre d'Algérie) and a film on the Chilean presidency of Salvador Allende (La Spirale). In 1973 Perrin produced - and starred alongside to Claude Jade as his love interest - the first film of Benoît Lamy, Home Sweet Home. The film acclaimed 14 international awards.
Perrin produced another Oscar-winning film in 1976: La Victoire en chantant (Black and White in Color) by director Jean-Jacques Annaud. In 1977, he embarked on Le Désert des Tartares, again starring Trintignant. The cast included such big-name actors as Max von Sydow, but was not very successful and left Perrin with debts (although it did win the Grand Prix du Cinéma Français).
He also played the role of the old Pierre Morhange, narrator of the very internationally successful film The Chorus, that he also produced. The young Pépinot was played by his younger son Maxence.
He was made Knight of the Ordre national du Mérite in 1985, promoted Officer in 1997 and promoted Commander in 2003. He was made Knight of the Légion d'honneur in 1990 and promoted Officer in 2007.
- Les Portes de la nuit (1946)
- La Peau de l'ours (1957)
- La Ragazza con la valigia (Girl with a Suitcase) (1960)
- The Truth (La Vérité) (1960)
- Sun in Your Eyes (1962)
- Family Diary (1962)
- Il Fornaretto di Venezia (1963)
- The Sleeping Car Murders (1965)
- The 317th Platoon (1965)
- La Ligne de démarcation (1966)
- Almost a Man (1966)
- The Search (1966)
- Les Demoiselles de Rochefort (1967)
- Shock Troops (1967)
- L'Horizon (1967)
- Z (1969)
- Peau d'Âne (Donkey Skin) (1970)
- Blanche (1971)
- Goya, historia de una soledad (1971)
- Home Sweet Home (1973)
- Il deserto dei tartari (1976)
- Le Crabe-tambour (Drummer-Crab) (1977)
- Raoni (1978 – narrator)
- La Légion saute sur Kolwezi (1980)
- L' Honneur d'un capitaine (1982)
- L'Année des méduses (Year of the Jellyfish) (1984)
- Race for the Bomb (1987)
- Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (Cinema Paradiso) (1989)
- Flight of the Innocent (1992)
- Nothing But Lies (1992)
- The Young Girls Turn 25 (1993)
- Swallows Never Die in Jerusalem (1994)
- Prima la musica, poi le parole (1998)
- Brotherhood of the Wolf (2002)
- Les Choristes (The Chorus) (2004)
- L'Enfer (Hell) (2005)
- Le Petit Lieutenant (2005)
- Z (1969) Academy Award for Best Foreign Film
- Blanche (1970)
- La guerre d'Algérie (1972)
- State of Siege (1972)
- La Spirale (1974)
- Section spéciale (1975)
- Black and White in Color (La Victoire en Chantant]) (1976) Academy Award for Best Foreign Film
- Le Désert des Tartares (1977)
- L'Adoption (1978)
- Les 40ième Rugissants (1981)
- Le Peuple singe (1988)
- Médecins des Hommes (1988)
- Hors la Vie (1990)
- Guelwaar (1992)
- Erythrée, 30 ans de solitude (1993)
- Espérance (1994)
- D'Duy (1994)
- Les enfants de Lumière (1995)
- Microcosmos (1996)
- Himalaya (1996) with Christophe Barratier, Academy Award nomination for Best Foreign Film
- Le Peuple Migrateur (Winged Migration) (2001)
- Les choristes (2004)
- Océans (2010)
- Jacques Perrin at the Internet Movie Database
- "Décret du 14 mai 1994 portant promotion et nomination". JORF 1994 (112): 7102. 15 May 1994. PREX9410898D. Retrieved 7 March 2009.
- "Décret du 14 mai 2003 portant promotion et nomination". JORF 2003 (112): 8343. 15 May 2003. PREX0306633D. Retrieved 7 March 2009.
- "Décret du 13 juillet 2007 portant promotion et nomination". JORF 2007 (162): 11922. 14 July 2007. PREX0710522D. Retrieved 7 March 2009.