|— Gymnast —|
|Full name||Jade Fernandes Barbosa|
July 1, 1991 |
Rio de Janeiro
|Height||151 centimetres (4 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||45 kilograms (99 lb)|
|Discipline||Women's artistic gymnastics|
|Club||Clube de Regatas do Flamengo|
|Music||Berimbau (2005-2009), La Danza del Tezcatlipoca Rojo (2010), Pirates of the Caribbean (2011-present)|
Barbosa won the gold medal in the Junior Championships in the All-Around, Floor, Balance Beam and Vault.
In 2006 Barbosa won the All-Around in the Junior National Championships.
In 2007, Barbosa became age-eligible to compete as a senior gymnast. She won her first medal in a World Cup event in Germany, when she won a silver on the Vault.
Her first major appearance was during the 2007 Pan American Games. During the All-Around finals, Barbosa fell from the uneven bars (13.625) and balance beam (14.775). On floor, she went out of bounds (15.025). On vault, she performed two and half twists, one of the most difficult elements. She got 15.85, but it wasn't enough to put her in the podium. She placed fourth overall.
The following day, she competed on the Vault finals, where she won the gold medal (14.912). She was the only non-American female gymnast to win a gold medal at the 2007 Pan American Games. Barbosa also won a silver in the Team competition and a bronze in the Floor final. Rebecca Bross was the champion (15.250) and Shawn Johnson was the silver medalist (15.225).
At the 2007 World Championships, Barbosa won the bronze medal in the Women's All Around. She got 15.9 on vault, 14.95 on bars, 15.7 on beam and 14. on floor. She also qualified for the Team, Vault and Balance Beam finals. Barbosa helped the Brazilian team to place fifth in the Team Finals, behind USA, China, Romania and Italy. In vault finals, Jade received 15.625 and 14.7, placing 5th overall. In the other final, she fell from the balance beam and scored 14.575, finishing 7th.
In October 2007, Barbosa took part in the World Cup event in Stuttgart, Germany. Barbosa won two silver medals, one on the Vault and one on the Floor.
At the end of the year, Barbosa performed the "The Cheng" vault in a Brazilian competition. Because Barbosa can also perform an Amanar vault, she has become a contender for the Olympic Vault title.
Barbosa's first participation in an international competition in 2008 was during the World Cup event in Cottbus. Barbosa won two silver medals, one on the Vault and the other one on the Floor.
In May 2008, Barbosa took part in the World Cup event in Moscow. During the Vault finals, Barbosa was expected to perform Yurchenko 2.5 twist, but instead she performed a double twist and a Podkopayeva in layout position. She won the gold medal, tied with Russian gymnast Anna Pavlova.
In June, Barbosa won the silver medal in the All-Around during the Brazilian National Championships, placing behind Ana Claudia Silva. Daniele Hypólito won the bronze medal. Barbosa won the gold on Beam, Vault and Floor exercises. Later in the same month, Barbosa was the All-Around champion in the Vitaly Scherbo International Gymnastics Cup. The Brazilian team also won the gold medal in this tournament.
Jade helped Brazilian team to qualify for the team finals. She also was 8th in All Around Qualification and 7th in Vault Qualification. Brazil was 8th in team final, the best place so far. In all around competition, Jade got great scores on beam (15.5) and bars (15.075). However, she fell on floor and vault and finished in 10th in this competition. On vault finals, she had some troubles and finished in 7th.
Jade Barbosa had a serious injury after the Olympics and was unable to compete for some months. In 2009, she competed in Brazilian Championship and placed 1st on floor, beating Ethiene Franco and Priscila Cobello.
Jade's first important competition after the Beijing Olympics Games was the World Championships. She qualified for the All Around and Vault Finals. In the All-Around she scored 14.866 on vault, 12.9 on bars, 14.166 on balance beam and 13.733 on floor. She placed 15th. In vault finals, she received 14.933 and 14.666, placing 3rd. The silver-medalist was Aliya Mustafina (15.066) and the winner was Alicia Sacramone(15.3).
Jade competed in 43rd Artistic Gymnastics World Championships. She helped Brazilian team to place 14th, but it wasn't enough to qualify the team for the Olympics. She also took part in Vault Finals. She did a great Yurchenko with two twists and received 14.866. However, she had some troubles on her second vault, placing 4th in this final. In this year, she won the Vault Finals in Moscow World Cup.
Jade's first competition in 2012 was 2012 Artistics Gymnastics Olympic Test Event in London. She helped the Brazilian team to qualify in 4th place for the Olympics. She scored 13.691 on floor, 14.766 on vault(placing 1st on vault qualification), 13.133 on bars and 11.866 on beam (after two falls). In the vault finals, she performed a great Yurchenko with two twists, receiving 14.966. She also did a laid-out Podkopayeva, receiving 14.633. The average of 14.799 gave her the gold medal.
2006-2008 Code of Points
- Vault: 15.95, team qualification, (2007 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships).
- Uneven Bars: 15.25, team qualification, (2007 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships).
- Beam: 15.7, all around final, (2007 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships).
- Floor: 15.325, team qualification, (2007 Panamerican Games).
2009-2012 Code of Points
- Vault: 14.966, vault final, (2012 Gymnastics Olympic Test Event).
- Uneven Bars: 13.650, team final, (2011 Brazilian Nationals).
- Beam: 14.800, team final, (2011 Brazilian Nationals).
- Floor: 14.000, all around final, (2011 Brazil Trophy Artistic Gymnastics).
- Vault: 2.5 twisting Yurchenko and Laid-out Podkopayeva.
- Bars: Jump to high bar mount; full pirouette into pak salto; Shaposhinikova into half pirouette to the low bar; Stalder, full pirouette into Tkachev; half pirouette; double layout dismount.
- Beam: Layout stepout mount; round-off, back handspring into 2 feet layout somersault; Switch Leap with 1/4 turn; full turn with leg at horizontal; side somersault; front tuck somersault into back piked somersault; switch leap into back tuck somersault; split leap into wolf jump; round-off, back handspring into double pike dismount.
- Floor: Double Layout somersault; 1.5 twists into full twist; switch leap with full turn; switch leap with half turn; full twisting double back piked; straddled jump with full turn; switch leap into split leap; full turn with leg at horizontal; round-off, back handspring into double back piked.
- Vault: Double twisting Yurchenko and Laid-out Podkopayeva.
- Bars: Jump to the low bar mount; Shaposhinikova into half pirouette to the low bar; full pirouette into Tkachev; Double Layout dismount.
- Beam: Layout stepout mount; round-off, back handspring into 2 feet layout somersault; Switch Leap with 3/4 turn; full turn with leg at horizontal; side somersault; front tuck somersault; switch leap into wolf jump; round-off, back handspring into double back piked.
- Floor: Double Arabian tucked; full twisting double back piked; switch leap with full turn; switch leap; straddled jump with full turn; 1.5 twists into full twist; full turn; switch leap with half turn; double back piked.
Life outside gymnastics
Barbosa has become a very popular sports personality in Brazil since her first major appearance at the XV Pan American Games, in Rio de Janeiro. She has developed a big fanbase among young girls and teenagers in Brazil.
- 2006 Brazilian Artistic Gymnastics Championships
- 31st Turnier der Meister
- XV Pan American Games 2007
- 40th World Championships
- 2007 Brazilian National Artistic Gymnastics Championships
- World Stars 2008 - World Cup Moscow
- pt:Jade barbosa
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jade Barbosa.|
|Brazilian Sportswomen of the Year