Jade Jones (athlete)
Jade Jones at the Mini London Marathon 2012
4 January 1996 |
|Coached by||Tanni Grey-Thompson|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||400m: 55.91s
Jones was born in Middlesbrough, England in 1996. Born with a missing femur, Jones was invited by wheelchair athlete, Tanni Grey-Thompson and her husband (and personal coach) Ian Thompson, to try out a racing chair during a school sports day visit. Within a few weeks Jones was training under Grey-Thompson and began entering competitive sport meets in 2009. Competing in sprint racing and long distance events, Jones trained with the New Markse club. In 2011 she competed in the IPC Athletics World Championships in New Zealand. She finished 5th in T54 200m race. In 2012, she was named one of Zoo Weekly's sexiest Paralympians.
Jones recorded personal bests in the 400m, 800m and 1500m in 2012, and qualified in all three events for the 2012 Summer Paralympics. Jones failed to qualify for the finals in both the 400m and 800m, finishing 6th and 5th respectively. In the 1500m she qualified through finishing 5th in the preliminary heat, but failed to medal, coming last in the finals three seconds behind the winner Tatyana McFadden of the United States.
In 2013, Jones qualified for the IPC Athletics World Championships in Lyon. She raced in the T54 classification distance races, reaching the finals of the 400m, 800m, 1,500m and 5,000m. Her best finish was fourth in the 400m's.
- "Jade Jones". paralympics.org.uk. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Jade Jones". thepowerof10.info. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- Zoo Magazine (17 September 2012). "Sexiest Paralympians". Zoo Magazine (Haymarket, New South Wakes, Australia: EMAP Australia) (142): 64–67. ISSN 1833-3222.
- "Women's 1500m - T54". london2012.com. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Tatyana McFadden wins six from six in Paralympic clean sweep in Lyon". guardian.co.uk. 27 July 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2013.