Hedwig (wife of Władysław Odonic)
Hedwig (also named Jadwiga; d. 29 December 1249), was by marriage Duchess consort of Greater Poland.
Her parentage is disputed among historians and sources. Among the possible origins for Hedwig include:
- Descendance from the Pomerelian Samborides lineage of the Dukes of Pomerania, i.e. the daughter of Mestwin I, Duke of Pomerania. This theory is the most accepted among historiography and web sources.
- Descendance from the Bohemian Přemyslid dynasty, i.e. the daughter of Prince Sviatopluk, son of Vladislaus II, Duke of Bohemia.
- Descendance from the German House of Andechs. This origin is supported by the fact that she is called relative of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights, Poppo von Osterna.
After Władysław Odonic was expelled from Poland by his uncle Władysław III Spindleshanks, he spent some time in Hungary, Bohemia and Germany before he arrived to the court of Swantopolk II, Duke of Pomerania around 1218. Was in Pomerania were the wedding between Władysław and Hedwig took place (ca. 1218-1220), a fact who reafirm the close blood relationship between Hedwig and the Pomeranian ruler. With the support of Swantopolk II, Władysław began the conquest of Greater Poland, which he completed in 1229.
During her marriage, Hedwig bore her husband at least four children, two sons —Przemysł I and Bolesław— and two daughters —Salomea (Duchess of Głogów) and Euphemia (Duchess of Opole)—. Sources also included as her children a short-lived son, Ziemomysł, and a daughter, Hedwig, first wife of Duke Casimir I of Kuyavia.
- O. Balzer, Genealogia Piastów, Kraków 1895, p. 221; W. Dworzaczek, Genealogia, Warsaw 1959, arr. 2 and 17; K. Jasinski, Uzupełnienia do genealogii Piastów, "Studies Źródłoznawcze", Vol. V, 1960, p. 100.
- "Hedwig von Pomerellen" at roglo.eu
- K. Jasinski, Genealogia Piastów Wielkopolskich. Potomstwo Władysława Odonica, "Kronika Miasta Poznania", Vol. II, 1995, pp. 38-39.
- N. Mika, Imię Przemysł w wielkopolskiej linii Piastów. Niektóre aspekty stosunków książąt wielkopolskich z Czechami do połowy XIII wieku, [in:] Przemysł II. Odnowienie Królestwa Polskiego, edited by J. Krzyżaniaka, Poznań 1997, pp. 247-255.
- E. Rymar, Rodowód książąt pomorskich, Szczecin, 2005. pp. 262-265.
- E. Rymar, Rodowód książąt pomorskich, Szczecin, 2005. pp. 262-263.
- K. Jasiński, Genealogia Piastów wielkopolskich. Potomstwo Władysława Odonica, pp. 44-45.
- D. Karczewski, W sprawie pochodzenia Jadwigi, pierwszej żony księcia kujawskiego Kazimierza Konradowica, [in:] Europa Środkowa i Wschodnia w polityce Piastów, ed. K. Zielińska-Melkowska, Toruń 1997, pp. 235-240.