|Birth name||Joy Lynn Strand Pas|
April 20, 1985 |
San Juan, Puerto Rico, United States
|Years active||2002 - Present|
|Labels||Sparrow, Virgin, Zomba, Compound Entertainment/Universal Motown|
Joy Lynn Strand Pas (born April 20, 1985) better known by her stage name Jadyn Maria is a Puerto Rican singer-songwriter. At the age of seventeen, Maria was signed to Sparrow Records for a Christian music singing career. She was later signed separately to Virgin Records and Zomba Label Group. In 2006, Maria took part in the reality talent show The One: Making a Music Star and signed a songwriting deal with Universal Music Publishing Group in 2007. She also auditioned and signed as the first artist on Ne-Yo's Compound Entertainment label in 2008.
Life and career
Maria was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico but grew up in Nashville, Tennessee after moving there two years later. She was the first daughter born to Rosa and Dan, a Southern Baptist pastor. Her mother is Puerto Rican. Her family's Christian background meant that she was immersed in Christian music. She began singing in church from the age of two. At the age of seventeen, Maria was signed to Sparrow Records, a Christian music subsidiary of EMI, after being spotted singing at a wedding. She later appeared on the debut album by former Christian band Avalon member Jody McBrayer. She was also asked to record a cover of "With or Without You" with hip-hop group GRITS on the U2 tribute album In the Name of Love: Artists United for Africa.
After being spotted by an ad agency, Maria and one of her songs, "Rock You Senseless", were featured in Clairol's 2004 Herbal Essence campaign. She also appeared on What I Like About You as part of the campaign. She later signed with Virgin Records with plans to release a non-Christian album and subsequently signed with Zomba Label Group. Maria later appeared as a contestant in the reality television series The One: Making a Music Star in 2006.
In 2007, Maria signed a songwriting deal with Universal Music Publishing Group, which led to her meeting with R&B musician Ne-Yo's manager and then Ne-Yo himself, eventually signing with his label and Universal Motown after auditioning for its president in 2008. She was the first artist signed to Ne-Yo's label, Compound Entertainment and was an opening act for his tour. Maria appeared in her friend, pop singer Katy Perry's music video for "Hot n Cold" as a bridesmaid. She also co-wrote the title bonus track from Ashley Tisdale's album Guilty Pleasure. The single, "Good Girls Like Bad Boys" was released in 2009 and featured rapper Flo Rida. Another single, "Trenchcoat and Shades" was released digitally in the UK. One of her songs "Catwalk V-O-G-U-E" was featured on an episode of the reality series The Hills and later covered by German girl group Monrose.
|2009||"Good Girls Like Bad Boys" (featuring Flo Rida)|
|"Trenchcoat & Shades"|
|2009||"Good Girls Like Bad Boys"||Claire Carre|
- Micah Jesse Interview with Jadyn Maria, Micah Jesse, 7 October 2009, retrieved 2009-11-03
- Official Bio, Compound Entertainment, retrieved 2009-11-03[dead link]
- Get to Know Jadyn Maria!, Seventeen Magazine, 26 January 2009, retrieved 2009-11-03
- Perry, Clayton (24 September 2009), Interview: Jadyn Maria - Singer and Songwriter, Blogcritics, retrieved 2009-11-03
- Rogers, Troy, Living in a Man's World with Singer Jadyn Maria, The Deadbolt, retrieved 2009-11-03
- Jadyn Maria is back, but not doing Christian Music, CMDish, 28 October 2009, retrieved 2009-11-04
- Remember Jadyn?, Tommy2, 9 June 2009, retrieved 2009-11-04
- Gottlieb, Steven (26 May 2009), BOOKED: Jadyn Maria f/ Flo Rida – Claire Carre, director, Video Static, retrieved 2010-01-04