February 23, 1990 |
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|June 20, 2013 for the San Diego Padres|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||2|
The San Diego Padres selected Decker in the first round, with the 42nd overall selection, of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. Decker played the full 2009 season with the Class-A Fort Wayne TinCaps, putting up a .299 batting average and .956 OPS in 104 games. He was ranked among Baseball America's Top 100 Prospects heading into 2010.
Promoted to the Advanced Class-A Lake Elsinore Storm in 2010, Decker hit .262 with a .874 OPS, but he was limited to 79 games by injuries. Placed with the Double-A San Antonio Missions in 2011, Decker's average fell to .236, but he hit 19 home runs, stole 15 bases, and scored 90 runs in 133 games, holding his OPS at .790. Decker was added to the Padres 40-man roster over the winter and again started 2012 in Double-A. He suffered with plantar fasciitis early in the season and then tore his plantar tendon on May 31. This limited him to only 56 games and a .201 average.
Decker began 2013 with the Triple-A Tucson Padres and shuttled between Tucson and the Major League club.
San Diego Padres
Dacker was called up to the Padres for the first time on June 12, 2013 to replace Cameron Maybin who was placed on the disabled list, but he was optioned back to Triple-A on June 14 without appearing in a game. He was recalled on June 19 when Everth Cabrera went on the disabled list, and made two pinch-hitting appearances where he walked and reached on an error before being sent back to Triple-A. He reached the big leagues for a third stint on August 10 when Carlos Quentin was placed on the DL. On August 12, 2013, Decker recorded his first major league hit, a solo home run off of Colorado Rockies starting pitcher Jhoulys Chacín during a 14-2 loss. Decker started in left field for the Padres.
Decker was designated for assignment by the Padres on November 20, 2013.
Decker's first name is pronounced 'Jeff'. He was named in honor of his uncle, who died in military service. Decker's grandfather intended to name his son 'Jeff', but the hospital nurse recorded it as 'Jaff', and the spelling was passed on to his nephew.
- Obert, Richard (March 19, 2009). "Decker influence helps Sunrise Mtn.". AZcentral.com. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Padres sign first-round compensation pick Jaff Decker". Padres Press Release. MLB.com. June 21, 2008. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Moore, Jack (June 12, 2013). "Padres call up Jaff Decker". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Brock, Corey (March 4, 2013). "Finally healthy, Decker looks to stick with Padres". MLB.com. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Brock, Corey (June 12, 2013). "Taking Maybin's spot, Decker gets first call to bigs". MLB.com. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Padres recall OF Jaff Decker from Triple-A Tucson and place SS Everth Cabrera on the 15-day disabled list". Padres Press Release. MLB.com. June 19, 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Warnemuende, Jeremy (August 10, 2013). "Decker to see more time in third big league stint". MLB.com. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Mis-spelled name, lifelong legacy". WANE.com. September 11, 2009. Retrieved 11 August 2013.