Jagannath Temple, Baripada
|Jagannath Temple, Baripada|
|Architecture and culture|
|Primary deity:||Lord Jaganath|
|Architectural styles:||Hindu temple architecture|
|Number of temples:||1|
12th century CE
|Part of a series on|
Sri Jagannath Temple (Oriya: ଶ୍ରୀ ଜଗନ୍ନାଥ ମନ୍ଦିର) is a famous Hindu temple located in baripada, Mayurbhanj district, in the state of Odisha, India. The name Jagannath (Lord of the Universe) is a combination of the Sanskrit words Jagat (Universe) and Nath (Lord of).
The sikhara is a pancharatha one. Known as the Second Srikhetra of Orissa,Baripada.The Jagannath temple of Baripada is one of the oldest temple of Orissa. It's Rathayatra is the oldest one after PURI. & Second biggest after Puri ratha yatra .It is being celebrated since last 500+ years. The rituals of Baripada Rathayatra is something special.It gives priority to Female devotees to pull the Subhadra ratha,which is unique of its kind.Which attracts the female devotees from the neighbouring states also.
Temple with Mandapa
- Jagannth Temple
- Vedic Concepts "An example in Sanskrit is seen with the word Jagat which means universe". |accessdate=2006-09-12 "In Jagannath, the ‘t’ becomes an ‘n’ to mean lord (nath) of the universe."
- Symbol of Nationalism "The fame and popularity of the Lord of the Universe: Jagannath both among the foreigners and the Hindu world "
- Sahoo. Ashis Ranjan, Pradhan. Dr. S. Report on Jagannath Temple, Baripada. Indira Gandhi National Centre For The Arts
- R. P. Mohapatra, 1986, Archaeology in Orissa, Vol. II, New Delhi.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jagannath Temple, Baripada.|
- Various Images of Jagannath Temple, Baripada
- Temples of Orissa
- Jagannath Ratha-Yatra & The Story of Lord Jagannath (Veda encyclopedia)
- Odissi Sri Jagannath (odissi.com)