Logo of Jagannath University
|Motto||শিক্ষা, ঈমান, শৃঙ্খলা|
|Motto in English||Education, Faith, Discipline|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Dr.Mizanur Rahman|
|Location||10, Chittaranjan Avenue, Dhaka, Bangladesh
|Former names||Jagannath College|
Jagannath University (Bengali: জগন্নাথ বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) is a Government-Financed Public University in Sadarghat, Dhaka the capital of Bangladesh. Jagannath University is in the southern part of Dhaka city near the river Buriganga.
- 1 Administration
- 2 History
- 3 Academics
- 4 Faculties
- 5 Library and centers
- 6 Residential student halls
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 Transportation
- 9 References
- 10 External links
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2013)|
The university has a history that started in 1858 when Dhaka Brahma School was founded in 1858 by Dinanath Sen, Prabhaticharan Roy, Anathbandhu Mallik and Brajasundar Kaitra. The name Jagannath school was given by Kishorilal Chowdhury, the Zamindar of Baliati in Tangail, who took over the school in 1872 and renamed it after his father. In 1884, it was raised to a second grade college. Law was one of the first courses introduced. A common management committee administered the school and college until 1887, when the school section was separated to form the independent Kishore Jubilee School. It is now known as K L Jubilee School. The administration of the college was transferred to a board of trustees in 1907. In the following year, it became a first grade college.
The college started with 48 students and in five years, the roll raised to 396. In 1910, Raja Manmath Roy Chowdhury, the zamindar of Santosh, Tangail, affiliated the Pramath-Manmath College of Tangail with Jagannath College. With the establishment of Dhaka University in 1921 stopped admission to degree courses and was renamed Jagannath Intermediate College. This status was changed after 28 years in 1949, when it reopened degree classes. The college was taken over by the government in 1968.
Jagannath College opened honours and masters programmes in 1975. That year the government once again took over the college and upgraded it into a postgraduate college. In 1982, the college closed its programmes at intermediate level. The college introduced evening shifts in 1992.
Jagannath University (JNU) has 31 departments under six faculties. Every department follows the semester system. At present 500+ teachers are engaged in providing education to around 19,000 students.
There are six faculties in this university.
Faculty of Life and Earth Sciences
Dean:Professor Dr. A. Z. M. Ruhul Momen
- Department of Microbiology and Biotechnology, Dr.Zakaria Mia, Professor and Chairman
- Department of Pharmacy, Dr. A. Z. M. Ruhul Momen, Professor and Chairman
- Department of Zoology, Dr. Md. Saiful Islam, Professor and Chairman
- Department of Botany, Dr. Hasna Hena Begum,Professor and chairman
- Department of Psychology, Prof. Dr. Kazi Saifuddin, Chairman
- Department of Geography and Environment, Dr.Md. Moniruzzaman, Associate Professor & Chairman
Faculty of Science
Dean: Prof. Dr. Md. Kamrul Alam Khan
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE), Dr. Nasir Uddin ,Chairman
- Department of Chemistry, Dr. Muhammad sayed Alam Professor and Chairman
- Department of Physics, Dr. Deepeka Rani Sarkar, Professor and Chairperson
- Department of Mathematics,Dr.Ayuib Ali, Associate Professor and chairman
- Department of Statistics, Md. Ashraf-Ul-Alam, Professor and chairman
Faculty of Arts
- Department of Bangla, Prof. Dr. Hosne ara jolly, chairman
- Department of English, Md.Nasir Uddin Ahmed, chairman
- Department of History, Prof. Dr. Md.Salim Ahmed, chairman
- Department of Philosophy, Dr.M. Lutfor Rahman, chairman
- Department of Theater and Music,
- Department of Islamic History and Culture, Professor Dr.Md. Atiur Rahman, Chairman
- Department of Islamic Studies.
- Department of Fine Arts and Graphics. Prof. Dr. Hosne ara jolly, chairman
- Department of Drama and music. Dr. Laisa Ahmed Lisa, chairman
Faculty of Law
- Department of Law
Faculty of Social Science
- Department of Anthropology, Shaolee Mahboob, Associate Professor and Chairman
- Department of Economics, Professor Dr. Priya Brato Paul. Professor and Chairman
- Department of Political Science, Professor Dr. Arun Kumar Goshwami
- Department of Public Administration
- Department of Sociology, Professor Dr.Farida Akhtar Khanam
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Library and Information Science,
- Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, Junaid Ahmed Halim, associate professor and chairman
Faculty of Business Studies
Dean: Prof. Dr. Mohammad Abu Misir 
The Faculty of Business was introduced in the 2005-2006 academic session and started functioning with two departments — Accounting and Management — which were renamed the Department of Accounting and Information Systems and Management Studies in 2010. Two other departments, Finance and Marketing, have been set up. The faculty offers graduate and post graduate programs. Prof. Dr. Mohammad Abu Misir is Dean of the Faculty of Business Studies. This faculty has four departments:
- Department of Accounting Information Systems, Dr. Ali Noor, Chairman
- Department of Finance & Banking, Prof. Dr. Mohammad Abu Misir, Chairman
- Department of Management Studies, Prof. Dr. Md. Mosharraf Hossain, Chairman
- Department of Marketing, Prof. Md. Jakir Hossain, Chairman
- An Overview of Department of Finance 
- Chairman: Prof. Dr. Mohammad Abu Misir,
Department of Finance, Jagannath University starts its journey in the session 2006-07 under the Faculty of the University, Faculty of Business of Studies. Since its inception in 2006, The Department offers and administers BBA. The students after the accomplishment of Bachelor Degree will get them admitted into MBA. Very shortly, the Department is going to launch M. Phil and Ph.D. programs in the field of Business, Economics, Finance & Banking, Investments and other contemporary and relevant areas in Commerce. The four year BBA program comprises 132 credit hours spread over eight semesters.From the very beginning, the Department of Finance has been devoted to academic excellence and uncompromising standard for which it has earned reputation. Faculty members are actively engaged in research and have many research publications to their credit. The expertise of teaching staff, research activities and dynamics curriculum has made the Department of Finance a unique institution in and outside the country.
- An Overview of the Marketing Department
Marketing Department of Jagannath University is newly established Department which started its academic program from the session 2006-07. Today's rapidly changing business environment demands for well- rounded marketing professionals. Considering this issue, marketing degrees and courses have been developed in close consultation with experts from other leading universities in the country. For ensuring quality education since it inception, the course curriculum has been developed in such a way by combining the theoretical grounding with practical experiences such as internships, and case studies so that the future graduates from this department with the knowledge and skills can perform successful in the highly competitive business environment. The aim of the Department is to cater the future demand of Graduates in Marketing through its BBA and MBA programs in Marketing which led us to incorporate the new dimensions of business competencies, by educating individuals to handle the complexities of today and tomorrow's business world with in an innovative, rigorous and challenging program with special focus on Marketing. It is hoped that the future Graduates from the department will take up numerous roles in marketing management, advertising, market research and consulting always keeping in mind that there is always more to be done. Beside, offering quality education, Marketing Department is also arranges extracurricular activities like, sports, cultural programs in every year. It has the faculty members with high academic excellence in home and abroad.
Library and centers
Dhupakholaya playground is located near the central university Jagannath University. Mathati 10 acres located in the game. Athletics center will be established next to a playground. There is a Library in seventh Flore in New building.
- Bangladesh National Cadet Corps (BNCC)
- Jagannath University Cultural Center
- Recitation of jabi
- Jabi of movies
- Jabi Journalists Association
- Jabi Rover Scout
- Jabi Teachers Association
- Jabi Debating Society.
Student Organizations: Bangladesh students organizations are active in the union, Bangladesh Chhatra Leag,Bangladesh Chhatra Dol , socialist chatraphranta, revolutionary students chatramaitri and Bangladesh Federation.
Health Center: There is a health center with basic facilities jabite health. Disease diagnosis, supporting sophisticated X - ray machines, alatrasnograma, isiji Machine and the autocomplete is a pyathalajikyala Lab.
Residential student halls
There were several halls/hostels/dormitories of Jagannath College before 1985.The institution had been declared as a University in 2005. Since the declaration students of Jagannath University have been demanding for their residential facilities. In this context the university authority formed a committee to search and retrieve the halls. As a result they found out twelve halls and started retrieving the halls from illegal possession. Present Vice-Chancellor of Jagannath University Professor Dr. Mesbahuddin Ahmed has taken initiatives to enforce the hall recovering activities. Various Events have taken place to accelerate the demands for halls. As a result two halls (Bani Bhabon Hall , Dr. Habibur Rahman Hall) and part of Dhupkhola Maath have been successfully retrieved. University authority is trying to reestablish the ownership of other Nine (9) halls.
Hall Name: Sahid Azmal Hossain Hall
Address:16 & 17, Ramakanta Nondi Lane, Patuatoly,Dhaka
The area of Hall:5 Bigha Description:
Lease of this hall was taken by the students after liberation in 1971. It has gone to the outsider after it was stormed by local people of old Dhaka in 1985. Presently they are using it as market, shop and resident.
Recent Picture of the Hall:
Hall Name: Shahid Shahab Uddin Hall
Address: 82, Zhulan Bari Lane, Battola, Tantibazar, Dhaka
The area of Hall:5 Bigha
It was occupied by Hindu Students. Its lease was taken in 1976/1977. It has gone to the outsider after it was stormed by local people of old Dhaka in 1985. There was no Superintendant. It was the source of income of some students through unsocial activities
Recent Picture of the Hall:
Hall Name: Dr. Habibur Rahman Hall
Address:35,36 & 37 Golok Pal Lane, Malitola, Bangshal, Dhaka
The area of Hall:1 Bigha Description:
Last Superintendant was a Prof. (unknown) of Zoology Department. He used to collect fees and make expenditures for Hall maintenance. Recently university authority has been taken the charge of the hall on October,3.
Recent Picture of the Hall:
Hall Name: Shahid Anwar Shafique Hall
Address:1, Sharat Chandra Chakrabarti Road, Mahutttoli, Armanitola, Dhaka
The area of Hall:2 Bigha Description:
Superintendant was B M Basunia. Rent was collected and deposited in Hostel Account. It has gone to the outsider after it was stormed by local people of old Dhaka in 1985.
Recent Picture of the Hall:
Name of Hall: Abdur Rahman Hall
Adress: 5 A.C Roy Road, Battala, Armanitola,Dhaka
The JU authorities have failed to handle the illegal occupants of the hostels meant for university students.
Most of the current JU teachers and students do not even know the number of the university halls or what state they are in. Those who know just keep their mouths shut.
The teachers and students of the then college took active part in the Language Movement of the early 1950s, the mass movements of the 1960s and the War of Liberation of the country in 1971.
- Sufi Motahar Hosen - poet,
- Abdul Hamid[disambiguation needed] - sports organiser and sports journalist,
- Bhabatosh Dutta - economist,
- Premendra Mitra - writer and poet,
- AR Yusuf - bar-at-law, state minister of Bangladesh in early 1980s,
- A KMA Rouf - artist,
- Anisuzzaman - educationist, researcher,
- Haidar Hosen - singer,
- Brojen Das - swimmer, the first Indian to swim the English Channel.
- Nurul Momen Mon -Economist. Love benefit Analyzer of Economics. Oxford University.
- Imdadul Haq Milon -Novelist and editor.
At present, The University Authority is providing quality transport facilities to the students by 17 buses rented from BRTC (Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation).
- Vice Chancellor
- "University Grants Commission of Bangladesh". List of Public Universities. University Grants Commission. Archived from the original on 2008-04-05. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- "চারটি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের আচার্য রাষ্ট্রপতিকে করতে সংসদে বিল". Prothom Alo. 2009-06-23. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- University Grants Commission of Bangladesh
- Jagannath University Home page
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Jagannath University on Facebook
- Information Technology Research and Resource Center (ITRRC)
- Halls of Jagannath University on Google Map
- University Grants Commission of Bangladesh
- Department of Finance, Jagannath University, Dhaka