|Vice-Chancellor||D. Farzana Islam|
Prof. Dr. Mohammed Muniruzzaman (academic)& Professor Dr. Forhad Hossain (admin.)
|Campus||Rural, 697 acres (2.8 km²)|
Jahangirnagar University (Bengali: জাহাঙ্গীরনগর বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় Jahaŋgirnôgor Bishshobiddalôe) is a public university in Bangladesh, located in Savar Upazila, Dhaka. It is the only one fully residential university in Bangladesh.
The university was established in 1970 by the government of Pakistan by the Jahangirnagar Muslim University Ordinance, 1970. During the first two years, it operated as a project. Its first Vice-Chancellor, Professor Mafiz Uddin Ahmad (Ph.D in Chemistry, University of Illinois, Chicago) took up office on September 24, 1970. The first group of students, a total of 150, was enrolled in four departments: Economics, Geography, Mathematics and Statistics. Its formal inauguration was delayed until January 12, 1971, when the university was launched by Rear Admiral S. M. Ahsan, the Chancellor.
Until 1973, it operated as a project. In 1973 Jahangirnagar Muslim University Act was amended as Jahangirnagar University Act.
In 2010 the university had a total of 10,500 students, 672 teachers, 206 staffs and 1,200 other employees. Dr. M Anwar Hossain is the (18th may, 2012) Vice-Chancellor of the university.
- 1 History
- 2 Location and campus
- 3 Academics
- 4 Cultural organization
- 5 Student's Accommodation
- 6 Notable professors and alumni
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Jahangirnagar University was formally launched on 12 January 1970 under the Jahangirnagar Muslim University Ordinance, 1970 and this days is observed as University Day. At the time of starting, its name was Jahangirnagar Muslim University, and the initial plan was to operate this university as like as Aligarh Muslim University. But after the independence of Bangladesh, its name changed as Jahangirnagar University under the act of Jahangirnagar University Act' 1973.
Jahangirnagar University Act of 1973
ACT NO. XXXIV OF 1973, an act to repeal the Jahangirnagar Muslim University Ordinance, 1970 and to provide for reconstitution and reorganisation of the Jahangirnagar Muslim University.
Location and campus
The university stands on the west side of the Asian Highway, popularly known as the Dhaka-Aricha Road, and is 32 kilometers away from the capital. Spread over a land area of 697.56 acres (2.8 km²), the campus surrounded by the Bangladesh Public Administration Training Centre (BPATC) on the soth, and the Savar Cantonment on the northest, on the north of which is the National Monument (Jatiyo Smriti Soudho)& a large dairy farm on the east. The topography of the land with its gentle rise & plains is shooting to the eye. The waterbodies sprawling around the campus makes an excellent habitat for the winter birds that flock in every year in thousands and bird watching here is a favourite pastime for many.
The university is an autonomous body managed by an executive council known as the syndicate. Its statutes need ratification by the senate of the university, which meets at least once a year to do the same. The senate passes the annual budget of the university,reviews its academic matters, and elects once every four year, a panel of three nominees for the position of its vice chancellor. the selection and appointment is made by the president of Bangladesh, who is the chancellor of the university. The chancellor also appoints the pro-vice chancellor and the treasurer of the university.
There are 35 departments under six faculties:
Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Science
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Department of Environmental Sciences
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry (JU)
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Mathematics(JU)
- Department of Geological Science
Faculty of Biological Science
- Department of Botany
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Public health & Informatics
- Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
Faculty of Social Science
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Economics
- Department of Government and Politics
- Department of Geography and Environment
- Department of Public Administration
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning (JU)
Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- Department of Archaeology
- Department of Bangla
- Department of English
- Department of History
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of International relations
- Department of Journalism & Media studies
- Department of Drama and Dramatics
Faculty of Business Studies
- Department of Accounting and Information Systems
- Department of Finance & Banking
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Management Studies
Faculty of Law
- Department of Law & Justice
There are four institutes for specialized research and training:
- Institute of Business Administration, Jahangirnagar University(IBA-JU)
- Institute of Information Technology
- Institute of Remote Sensing
- Fine arts
- Wazed Miah Science Research Center
Jahangirnagar University is known as the Kingdom of Culture. There are many cultural and social organizations in this university like 1. Jahangirnagar Theater 2. Dhoni 3.Jahangirnagar University Debate Organization-JUDO 4.Jolshiri 5.Anandan 6.Jahangirnagar University Debating Society 7.Jahir Rayhan Chalachitra Sangshad
Jahangirnagar University with a dozen residential halls a few more under construction is mandated to provide residential accommodation to each and every students with separate halls for the female students. Each hall has its own ad ministration system headed by a provost and is equipped with facilities like playground, rooms for indoor games, the dining hall etc.
Halls for male students
- Al Beruni Hall: the oldest dormitory of the campus, named after Abū Rayḥān al-Bīrūnī,
- Mir Mosharrof Hossain Hall: named after Mir Mosharraf Hossain,
- A. F. M Kamaluddin Hall: named after one of the ex Vice Chancellors of Jahangirnagar University Dr. Prof. A.F.M Kamaluddin, a geographer, who died prematurely,
- Shahid Salam Barkat Hall: named after two language martyrs of the Bengali Language Movement,
- Moulana Bhashani Hall: named after Maulana Abdul Hamid Khan Bhashani,
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall: named after Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman,
- Shahid Rafiq Jabbar Hall: named after two language martyrs of Bengali Language Movement.
Halls for female students
- Nawab Faizunnesa Hall: named after the female educator Nawab Faizunnesa Choudhurani (1834-1903).
- Fajilatunnesa Hall: named after the first Bengali female graduate in mathematics from University of Calcutta.
- Jahanara Imam Hall: named after Jahanara Imam
- Pritilata Hall: named after Pritilata Waddedar
- Begum Khaleda Zia Hall: named after Khaleda Zia
Jahangirnagar University has a big library having a huge collection of book established 1985. It is located at a convenient place between the main academic buildings and the dormitories. It behind the monument of "Sangshaptak". The whole area is covered with WI-FI technology. There are more than 110,000 books & 14,000 hard bound journals & 22,000 online journals in the library. More than 170 students can seat & study in the library. There is also a cyber center in the premises of the library. Airy with ample glass openings, the library is an elegant piece of Architecture and has a collection of over 95,000 titles.
There are many formalities to receive & leave the membership in the beginning and ending of studentship. The future plan of the library authority is to extend the library buildings and make the hole system computerized. Then it would be easier to lend the library books and the system would be more efficient.
Jahangirnagar University has its own medical center for the students,the teachers and the stuffs. The center provides twenty -four hours service. It is supervised by the chief medical officers with a stuff of qualified doctors. The center bears all expenses related to treatment in case of students. But it provides only health related advice in case of the teachers & the stuffs.
Jahangirnagar University maintains a medical center established in the middle of 1972. It was a room of hall Al Beruni. After that it was moved to the present places (beside the Fazilatunnesa hall & behind the transformation office). There are 12 doctors, 7 officers and 20 stuffs to maintain the medicine center. At present 30 medicine companies supply their medicine to improve the service of medical center.
The teachers student center headed by a director the prime role in improving the relation betweenthe teachers and the students of the campus. It is the center of cultural activities of the university. Different cultural groups usually performed drama and cultural programes at Muktomancha. Shaptam Chayamancha is a great attraction for the students at leisure period.
In TSC complex, there are an auditorium and a seminar hall to hold seminars, meetings and cultural programmes. The auditorium has an arrangement of 1500 seats, while the seminar hall accommodates 250 persons. It is a fully furnished auditorium for playing drama, cultural activities, internationalconference & many more.
The university also has a gymnasium, a well equipped swimming pool and a central cafeteria. Adequate bus services between the campus and Dhaka city are also provided to the students & teachers and other employees of the university. Notable among the many other facilities of the university are an amphitheatre and the teacher student center (TSC) that play important role in developing cultural facilities of the students.
Teachers and Officers/Staff Quarters
Notable professors and alumni
- National Professor Syed Ali Ahsan
- Shwadhinota Puroshkar winning Professor Zillur Rahman Siddiqui
- Economist, [Professor Dr. Akhlakur Rahman]
- Theatrical performer Humayun Faridi
- Playwright and theatrical artist Selim Al Deen
- Economist and anthropologist Anu Muhammad
- Poet Mohammad Rafiq
- National Cricketer Masrafi Bin Murtaza and Mushfiqur Rahim
|Photos of Jahangirnagar University|
- S M Mahfuzur Rahman. "Jahangirnagar University". In Sirajul Islam. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh. Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "History of JU". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Faculties". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "student's accomodation". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 25 october 2013.
- "central library". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 25 october 2013.
- "medical center". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 25 october 2013.
- "TSC". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 25 october 2013.
- "auditorium". Jahangirnagar University. Retrieved 25 october 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jahangirnagar University.|
- Jahangirnagar University official web site
- Old photographs of the campus
- A report from the Swedish South Asian Studies Network
- Jahangirnagar University alumni database
- Admission information