||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (October 2012)|
Jahcoozi is a bass-heavy electronica trio is a creative alliance made up of London-born, Sri Lankan songwriter and front woman Sasha Perera and two beat-freak producers/multi-instrumentalists—Teuton Robot Koch and Tel-Aviv born Oren Gerlitz.
Producer Robot Koch is not only the mastermind behind his band Jahcoozi, he also produces and performs as a solo artist under his own name and works as a songwriter and producer for many different artists internationally. Sasha Perera co-wrote and sang the song 'Silikon' featured on Modeselektor's album Hello Mom! and on Thom Yorke's iTunes playlist in 2007.
Jahcoozi's sound has been described as consisting of abstract electronic beats within ragga, dub and electronica. A mongrel style of avant-garde, electronic pop music. They met in Berlin in 2002 and have been making music together ever since. The group built up a solid fan-base with their freaky underground shows in 2003. Songs such as Black Barbie and Fish (released as a debut single in 2003 on WMF Records gained them early recognition. The latter earned them a spotlight on the cult BBC show of the late John Peel, who called it "Beautiful pop music from the future".
In 2005, they were snapped up by Kitty-Yo, the Berlin-based mother label of Peaches. Later in that busy year, they unleashed the Black Barbie picture disc vinyl and their long-awaited, full-length debut album entitled Pure Breed Mongrel.
With 3 full-length albums (Pure Breed Mongrel, Blitz 'n' Ass, and Barefoot Wanderer) numerous releases including EPs, Picture Discs, remixes, features and even an exclusive Japanese album to their name, Jahcoozi have released music on labels including Kitty-Yo, Asound/K7, Playhouse, NinjaTune, Citizen Records, Crosstown Rebels, 1965, WMF Records, Hydra etc.
Jahcoozi have collaborated with and been remixed by a number of artists, including Modeselektor, Siriusmo, M.Sayiid, Barbara Panther, Ramadanman, Ikonika, Stereotyp, Asian Dub Foundation, Guillermo.E.Brown, Oliver $, RQM, King Cannibal, Mochipet, Rustie, Buraka Som Sistema, Missill, Stanton Warriors, Lexie Lee, D-Double, Tinchy Stryder, Lethal B, Kano, JME, Skepta, Ata + Sasse, Cassy, Luomo, New Flesh, Infinite Livez, Alhaca Soundsystem, Sukh Knight, Milanese and Kalbata.
Jahcoozi's music has been used for games such as Grand Theft Auto and FIFA and has been featured on compilations such as the Wire Magazine Compilation or We Love Techno. The band has played shows as diverse as the televised opening of the IFFA Athletics World Cup at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate or the Expo in Shanghai, as well as at club institutions like Fabric in London, Rex club in Paris or Montreal's electronica oriented Mutek Festival.
- 2010 Barefoot Wanderer (BPitch Control)
- 2007 Blitz N Ass (A Sound)
- 2005 Pure Breed Mongrel (Kitty-Yo)
- 2010 Barefoot Wanderer Remixes PT 1 (Bpitch Control)
- 2010 Barefoot Wanderer Remixes PT 2 (Bpitch Control)
- 2009 Watching You (Sugarcane Recordings)
- 2009 Barbed Wire (Citizen)
- 2009 Namedropper (Batty Bass)
- 2009 BLN (Asound)
- 2007 Double Barrel Name (Sugarcane Recordings)
- 2005 Black Barbie EP (Kitty-Yo)
- 2004 Rebel Futurism Part2 (Crosstown Rebels)
- 2004 V.A.: Girls EP (Shadetek Records)
- 2003 Fish 12" (WMF Records)
Remixes & Features
- 2009 King Cannibal feat. Jahcoozi - Murder Us (Ninja Tune)
- 2009 Asian Dub Foundation - Altered Statesmen (Naive)
- 2006 Black Barbie/stereotyp remix (1965)
- 2006 Unknownmix - The Siren (Playhouse)
- 2006 Modeselektor feat. Jahcoozi – Silikon (Bpitch Control)
- 2005 Raz Ohara - Hymn (Kitty cuts)
- 2004 Mendelson - White Canary (Fein raus/kompakt)
- 2003 Panorama - Super Race Monkey (Hamton Recordings)