||//; Spanish: [ˈxajme]; Portuguese: [ʒaɪm], Portuguese: [ʒaɪmiː], Portuguese: [ʒɐ̃ĩ̯m], Portuguese: [ʒɐ̃ĩ̯miː]
||Male and female
||Spanish, Portuguese, English
||Jaume, Iago, Tiago, Diego, Diogo
||Look up Jaime in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Jaime is a common Spanish and Portuguese masculine given name for Jacob, James, Jamie, or Jacques. In eastern Spain, Jacobus became Jacome or Jaime; in Catalonia, it became Jaume. In western Spain it became Iago, in Portugal it became Tiago. The name Saint James developed in Spanish to Santiago, in Portuguese to São Tiago. The names Diego (Spanish) and Diogo (Portuguese) are also Iberian versions of Jaime.
In the United States, Jaime is used as an independent masculine given name, along with given name Jimmy.
For females, it remains less popular, not appearing on the top 1000 U.S. female names for the past 5 years. It is an alternative spelling of Jamie.
Among Jews in Spanish-speaking countries, "Jaime" is often used as a naturalized version of the unrelated Hebrew name Haim.
People and Characters
- Jaime Alguersuari, Spanish racing driver
- Jaime Camara, Brazilian racing driver
- Jaime Camil, actor
- Jaime Escalante, Bolivian-American educator and subject of the film Stand and Deliver
- Jaime Hernandez, American cartoonist and co-creator of the comic book series Love and Rockets (comics)
- Jaime Hipp, American water polo goalkeeper
- Jaime Huélamo, Spanish road cyclist
- Jaime Jiménez Merlo, Spanish football (soccer) player commonly known as Jaime
- Jaime King, American actress and model
- Jaime King, English Olympic swimmer
- Jaime Lachica Sin, Filipino Catholic cardinal who took part in the People Power Revolution
- Jaime Lannister, known as "Kingslayer", a fictional character in the fantasy epic novel series A Song of Ice and Fire and its derived works such as TV series Game of Thrones
- Jaime Luis Gómez, better known as Taboo, a member of The Black Eyed Peas
- Jaime de Marichalar, former Spanish royalty
- Jaime Maussan, Mexican journalist
- Jaime Melo, Brazilian racing driver
- Jaime Moreno, Bolivian football (soccer) player
- Jaime Murray, British actress
- Jaime Nunó, Spanish composer
- Jaime Pressly, American actress
- Jaime Preciado, Hispanic musician and bassist of Pierce The Veil. Also known as "The Architechhh."
- Jaime Patricio Ramírez, Chilean football (soccer) player
- Jaime Preciado, member of the Hispanic rock band Pierce the Veil
- Jaime Reyes, a DC Comics superhero known as Blue Beetle
- Jaime Vera, Chilean football (soccer) player
- Jaime Winstone, English actress and daughter of Ray Winstone
- Jaime Yzaga, Peruvian tennis player
- Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala, wealthy and influential Filipino who is chairman and CEO of Ayala Corporation