|Date of birth:||December 1, 1946|
|Place of birth:||Hamilton, Ontario|
Career highlights and awards
John "Jake" Ireland (born on Hamilton, Ontario) is a former referee in the Canadian Football League, who wore uniform number 62, and current lead replay official for the league's instant replay command centre.December 1, 1946 in
Ireland, from Townsend, Ontario, attended Burlington Central High School from 1960 to 1965. Ireland's father, Garnet Ireland, as well as his three brothers and a sister, also attended BCHS. While at Central, Ireland participated in basketball, cross-country running, and curling. He was also an active member of Student’s Council, and was proud to win a Mathematics Award in 1964.
While attending McMaster University, Ireland was contacted by a high school friend to begin officiating flag football for the newly created Burlington Minor Football Association. Soon after, Ireland was contacted to begin officiating for the Lakeshore Football Association, including refereeing games for the Burlington Braves Club. It was during a Braves game that Ireland was recruited by the Canadian Football League to begin his career with the CFL as a referee, a career that would find him participating in 555 games and refereeing in 15 Grey Cup games.
Although he retired from his full-time career with Stelco Inc. after 31 years, Ireland continued as an active CFL referee until the conclusion of the 2008 CFL season, his 30th. His final on-field game was the 96th Grey Cup.
On February 21, 2013 the Canadian Football Hall of Fame announced that Ireland would be inducted into the Hall in September at a ceremony in Edmonton.
- June 12, 1979 First CFL game as an official (Ottawa vs. Montreal)
- Total Games Officiated: 555
- Grey Cup Games: 15 (12 as referee)
- 1976 Most Improved Official — Lakeshore Football Officials Association
- 1979 Officiated in the National Junior Football Championship
- 2003 Wall of Fame — Lakeshore Football Officials Association
- 1985–1988 Selected as Head Referee in four consecutive Grey Cup games
- 2013 Scheduled for induction into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.
- "CFL officials named for 95th Grey Cup". CFL.ca. 2007-11-21. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "Jake old hand at Cup officiating". The Hamilton Spectator. 2008-11-20. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- Milton, Steve (2008-11-26). "Don't worry, they'll be back". The Hamilton Spectator. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- Kelly, Malcolm (2009-08-18). "Jake Ireland's prescription for a calm CFL game". CBC Sports. Retrieved 2009-08-19.
- Fitz-Gerald, Sean (2008-11-18). "Grey Cup is Ireland's last stand". National Post. Retrieved 2008-11-19.[dead link]
- Naylor, David (2008-11-21). "Grey Cup will be recognizable official's swan song". Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- "CFL Launches its Command Centre". Canadian Football League. 2009-07-26. Retrieved 2009-08-19.
- "Milestone for Ireland". CFL.ca. 2005-09-01. Retrieved 2008-11-26.