Jake Kaufman in December 2009
|Birth name||Jacob Kaufman|
|Also known as||virt|
|Born||April 3, 1981|
|Labels||Big Lion Music|
Jacob "Jake" Kaufman (also known as virt) (born April 3, 1981) is an American video game music composer. After starting out creating arrangements and remixes of video game soundtracks, he began his commercial composing career in 2000 with the score to a port of Q*Bert. He continued to compose music for games for the next couple of years, working primarily with handheld video games. In 2002, he set up the website VGMix, which hosts video game music remixes, and continues to administer it. His career began to take off over the next few years, resulting in him transitioning jobs into a full-time freelance composer by 2005. Since then he has worked on several big-name projects such as Contra 4, Red Faction: Guerrilla, DuckTales: Remastered, and Shovel Knight.
Jake Kaufman was born in America on April 3, 1981. Kaufman dropped out of high school, with what he describes as "a total lack of work ethic and no concept of timeliness or organization". He spent the next few years composing arrangements and remixes of video game music under the alias "virt". In 2000, Kaufman broke into the video game industry as a composer; his first work was the Game Boy Color port of Q*Bert. Over the next few years, he composed the music to several Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games. In 2002, Kaufman was one of the co-founders of the website VGMix, which hosts video game music remixes. VGMix has been described as being just as influential as OverClocked ReMix, the other major video game music arrangement hosting website.
During 2002-2005, his career as a video game music composer began to take off. By 2005, he was a full-time freelance video game composer. He continues to compose music to increasingly big-name projects, such as Contra 4 and TMNT in 2007 and Red Faction: Guerrilla in 2009; he describes composing the soundtrack to a Contra game and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game as his "lifelong dream". Kaufman contributed a track to the official arranged album of music from Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi. He was a full-time employee of Volition, Inc. while working on Red Faction, but in January 2010 he left the company to become the "lead audio guy" for WayForward Technologies, for which he had already composed several soundtracks such as those of Shantae and Contra 4. For WayForward he first composed the soundtrack to Shantae: Risky's Revenge, the sequel to the game he worked on ten years prior. Original Sound Version named Kaufman their Composer of the Year for 2011, based on his work on BloodRayne: Betrayal and Mighty Switch Force, as well as several other soundtracks and arranged albums. Kaufman is married to Kristi Kaufman, and lives with her and their puggle Nugget in northern Los Angeles where WayForward Technologies is located.
While working at WayForward, Kaufman composed music for the Shantae series, the BloodRayne series, and nearly a dozen other games. During this time he also composed music for independent games such as Shovel Knight. On November 1, 2014, Kaufman announced that he was leaving WayForward on mutual terms to work as a freelance composer and sound designer from his own studio, in order to be able to set his own schedule and choose his own projects.
- Q*Bert (2000)
- Drymouth (2000)
- Tennis Masters Series (2001)
- M&M's Minis Madness (2001)
- David Beckham Soccer (2001)
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (2001) - Game Boy Color version
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
- X-Blade Inline Skater (2001)
- The Scorpion King - Sword of Osiris (2002)
- Karnaaj Rally (2002)
- Godzilla: Domination (2002)
- The Scorpion King (2002)
- Shantae (2002)
- Micro Machines (2002) - Game Boy Color version
- Paragon 5 Pinball (2002) - with others
- Rugrats: I Gotta Go Party (2002)
- Spy Hunter / Super Sprint (2005)
- Juka and the Monophonic Menace (2005)
- Legend of Kay (2005)
- Rebelstar: Tactical Command (2005)
- Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree (2005)
- Uno 52 (2006) - Sound effects conversion
- Platinum Mahjong (2006)
- Scurge: Hive (2006)
- Contra 4 (2007)
- TMNT (2007) - Nintendo DS version
- Cranium Kabookii (2007)
- Winx Club: Mission Enchantix (2008)
- Imagine: My Secret World (2008)
- Red Faction: Guerrilla (2009)
- Mighty Flip Champs! (2009)
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold – The Videogame (2010)
- Shantae: Risky's Revenge (2010)
- Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Arrange Mode Soundtrack (2011)
- Mighty Milky Way (2011)
- BloodRayne: Betrayal (2011)
- Centipede: Infestation (2011)
- Mighty Switch Force! (2011)
- Otomedius Excellent Arrange DLC BGM (2011)
- Retro City Rampage (2012) - with Leonard Paul and Matt Creamer
- Darkstalkers Resurrection (2012)
- Double Dragon Neon (2012)
- Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!! (2012)
- Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know! (2013)
- Mighty Switch Force! 2 (2013)
- DuckTales: Remastered (2013)
- Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge (2013)
- Wonder Momo: Typhoon Booster (2014)
- Shovel Knight (2014)
- Boot Hill Heroes: Part One (2014)
- Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (2014)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Danger of the Ooze (2014)
- Adventures of Pip (2015)
- Vanguard V (2015) - main theme
- Pulsar Arena (2015)
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2017) - with Michiru Yamane and Ippo Yamada
- Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (TBA)
- Kaufman, Jake. "Big Lion Music - Stuff I've Done". Big Lion Music. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- Kaufman, Jake. "Big Lion Music - Q*Bert (GBC)". Big Lion Music. Retrieved 2009-12-2007. Check date values in:
- Mieszkowski, Katharine (2002-03-18). "Hot Salsa Tetris". Salon.com. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- Maragos, Nich (2005-10-12). "Gaming's Rhapsody: Fifth Movement". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- Kaufman, Jake. "Big Lion Music - Game Soundtracks". Big Lion Music. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- Kaufman, Jake. "Big Lion Music - About". Big Lion Music. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- Carl, Larson (2009-10-06). "CAVE Music Interview With KETSUI Arrangers". Original Sound Version. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- Kaufman, Jake (2009-11-20). "Big Lion Music - Wessiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide". Big Lion Music. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- Greening, Chris (2010-09-28). "Jake Kaufman Releases Shantae: Risky's Revenge Album". Square Enix Music Online. Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- Napolitano, Jayson (2012-02-23). "OSV Composer of the Year Award 2011: Jake Kaufman". Original Sound Version. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- Greening, Chris (2014-11-01). "Jake Kaufman becomes freelance composer and game designer". Game Music Online. Retrieved 2014-11-15.