Muzzin in 2013
February 21, 1989 |
Woodstock, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||214 lb (97 kg; 15 st 4 lb)|
|NHL team||Los Angeles Kings|
|NHL Draft||141st overall, 2007
Muzzin was the first pick, 11th overall, by Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) in the 2005 OHL Priority Selection Draft from the Brantford 99'ers Minor Midgets. He didn't play with the Greyhounds until late in 2006 after he required herniated disc surgery at 16 years old. Despite having played only 37 regular season games and 13 playoff games, he was drafted 141st overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft by the Pittsburgh Penguins. Although he was drafted, he went unsigned by the Penguins and re-entered the 2009 NHL Entry Draft but wasn't picked and returned for an overage year with the Greyhounds. In his final season in the OHL, Muzzin won the Max Kaminsky Trophy for top defenceman in the League.
Muzzin signed as a free agent to a three-year, entry-level contract with the Los Angeles Kings on January 4, 2010.
Following the Kings' training camp and pre-season games, Muzzin made the Kings' opening night roster for the 2010–11 season. On November 3, 2010, however, he was assigned to the Kings' American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs. Just six days later, on November 9, 2010, the Kings recalled the defenceman for a brief stint before again reassigning Muzzin to the Monarchs in favor of Alec Martinez on November 23. In 2012, Muzzin was recalled during the 2011 Stanley Cup playoffs and was on the roster as a healthy scratch when they won the Stanley Cup over the New Jersey Devils. He did not appear in any games that season. Although he did not qualify to have his name engraved on the Cup, he was nonetheless included in the team's celebratory picture.
Muzzin scored his first NHL goal in his third game following the 2012–13 NHL lockout on January 26, 2013, against Jason LaBarbera of the Phoenix Coyotes. He went on to become a regular in the Kings' lineup and scored seven goals and nine assists in 45 regular season games, while adding three assists in 17 playoff games. He was also named NHL Rookie of the Month for March 2013.
At the beginning of the 2013–14 season, Muzzin began as a third line pairing and was a healthy scratch for a series of games. However, he quickly continued to develop, and after being paired with defensive star Drew Doughty, he continued to earn more playing time on the top defensive pairing. Muzzin continued to earn minutes for the Kings and finished the regular season averaging 19:01 minutes per game, in addition to registering five goals and 19 assists in 76 regular season games. In the playoffs, he scored six goals and six assists in 26 games, averaging 23:23 minutes of ice time per game, including 37:18 in Game 5 of the 2014 Stanley Cup Finals against the New York Rangers. With the penalty he drew in the third period of that Game 5, Muzzin catalyzed a debate amongst the hockey world around the apparent rise in acceptability of "flopping" or diving in the NHL, drawing comparisons with the same problem in professional basketball and soccer. With his first Stanley Cup ring, Muzzin is the first Woodstock, Ontario, professional athlete to win a major sports trophy.
Regular season and playoffs
|2006–07||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||37||1||3||4||10||13||0||4||4||6|
|2007–08||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||67||6||12||18||53||10||1||3||4||4|
|2008–09||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||62||6||23||29||57||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||64||15||52||67||76||5||0||1||1||2|
|2010–11||Los Angeles Kings||NHL||11||0||1||1||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Los Angeles Kings||NHL||45||7||9||16||35||17||0||3||3||6|
|2013–14||Los Angeles Kings||NHL||76||5||19||24||58||26||6||6||12||8|
|2014–15||Los Angeles Kings||NHL||76||10||31||41||22||—||—||—||—||—|
|Competitor for Canada|
|2015 Czech Republic|
Awards and honours
- 2009-10 Max Kaminsky Trophy winner as the Ontario Hockey League top defenceman.
- 2009-10 Ontario Hockey League First-team All-Star.
- NHL Rookie of the Month for March 2013.
- 2014 Stanley Cup Champion
- "Kings sign Muzzin; Activate Stoll". Los Angeles Kings. 2010-01-04. Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- Helene Elliott. "Schenn, Loktionov, Lewis, Clifford and Muzzin make Kings' opening night roster". latimes.com. Retrieved 2010-10-05.
- "Kings send Jake Muzzin to Manchester; Doughty to be activated". LA Times. 2010-11-03. Retrieved 2010-11-03.
- "Cup win a learning experience for Jones". Ontario Reign. 2012-06-02. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "Woodstock Native hoists the Stanley Cup". Woodstock Sentinel-Review. 2012-06-12. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- "L.A. Kings Jake Muzzin named NHL March rookie of the month". Woodstock Sentinel-Review. 2013-04-01. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- "Kings vs Coyotes boxscore". National Hockey League. 2013-07-12. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "Multi-year contract step forward for Muzzin". Woodstock Sentinel-Review. 2013-07-19. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- "Game 5, Kings v Rangers boxscore". National Hockey League. 2014-06-02. Retrieved 2014-06-02.
- "Muzzin's King size flop leads to end of Rangers season". rantsports.com. 2014-06-15. Retrieved 2014-06-15.
- "Video:Marian Gaborik ties game after questionable penalty on Rangers". CBS Sports. 2014-06-15. Retrieved 2014-06-15.