||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
February 21, 1958 |
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
Jake Steinfeld (born February 21, 1958) is an American fitness icon and entrepreneur in the fitness training industry. Developing businesses through the "Body by Jake" brand, Steinfeld is also the founder of Major League Lacrosse (MLL).
Steinfeld develops brands and businesses as Chairman and CEO of Body by Jake and is the founder of a company called FitOrbit a fitness and weight loss program. Previously, Steinfeld created FitTV, a 24-hour fitness lifestyle network, which he later sold to News Corp. Following the sale of FitTV, Jake launched ExerciseTV, a fitness on-demand television network, with partners Comcast, New Balance, and Time Warner.
Teaming with Universal Music Enterprises, a division of Universal Music Group, Steinfeld released another title, High-Intensity Workout, a series of compilations and music tracks by some of today’s artists, producers, DJs and mixers.
Steinfeld founded Major League Lacrosse (MLL), the first professional outdoor lacrosse league. MLL completed its fourteenth season in 2014 with teams in Boca Raton, FL; Boston, MA; Charlotte, NC; Chesapeake, MD; Delaware, OH; Denver, CO; New York, NY; and Rochester, NY.
Steinfeld has partnered with Jamba Juice, hosting Healthy Living with Jake podcasts.
Television & Film
Steinfeld starred on a sitcom on the Family Channel called Big Brother Jake. Other television credits include: King of the Hill, Movin Mountains, Dream On, The Tracey Ullman Show, Shaping Up and Simon & Simon. His film roles include Cheech and Chong's Next Movie (1980), the Jeff Goldblum comedy Into the Night (1985) and the Tom Hanks comedy The Money Pit (1986) as a construction worker. He also had roles in Odd Jobs'' and Tough Guys, which were both out in 1986. In 1988, he played a cab driver in ''Coming to America''. He supplied the voice of Git, a lab rat in the Disney animated feature Ratatouille and as the Fish Teller in the 2011 English version of From Up On Poppy Hill.
Steinfeld has authored (and co-authored) books including:
- Body by Jake
- Don't Quit
- Get Strong! Body by Jake's Guide to Building Confidence, Muscles and a Great Future for Teenage Guys
- PowerLiving by Jake, Eleven Lessons to Change Your Life
- I've Seen a Lot of Famous People Naked and They've Got Nothing on You!
- Take A Shot!, A Remarkable Story of Perseverance, Friendship, and a Really Crazy Adventure
Non-profit and public service
Steinfeld became Chairman of the California Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness & Sports® in 2006 under Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and also served under Governor Jerry Brown. Steinfeld is Chairman of the National Foundation for Governors’ Fitness Councils.
Steinfeld was an Olympic torchbearer, one of only 22 Americans selected to carry the inspirational flame for the 2012 Olympic Games in London, England.
Steinfeld has been married to his wife Tracey since 1988, with whom he has four children, daughter Morgan and sons Nicholas, Zachary, and Luke.
- 1979 Created the personal fitness training industry as Trainer to the Stars
- 1982 Partnered with Ted Turner and Cable News Network (CNN) to air 600 episodes of Fitness Break by Jake
- 1986 Produced/starred in first run syndicated Body by Jake Show (100 episodes)
- 1989 Produced/starred in Body by Jake on ESPN (200 episodes)
- 1989 Created/starred in Big Brother Jake, a sitcom for the Family Channel (100 episodes)
- 1993 Created FiT TV – the first 24-hour fitness television network
- 1998 Sold FiT TV to Rupert Murdoch
- 2000 Founded Major League Lacrosse – now entering its 14th season
- 2000 Created Exercise TV – the first On-Demand fitness television network with partners Comcast, Time Warner
- 2006 Chairman of the California Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports
- 2008 Founded FitOrbit – the first web platform that connects a real live trainer to you via online or any mobile device
- 2009 Launched Body by Jake Music w- Universal Music Enterprises (UMe)
- 2010 Hosted one man show “No Expectations” in the Hollywood Theater at MGM Grand
- 2012 Chairman of the National Foundation for Governors’ Fitness Councils
- 2013 Installed as Honorary Mayor of Pacific Palisades, CA
- Jake Steinfeld at the Internet Movie Database
- "About Jake" at the Body by Jake website
- Hause, Irene [L.]. (1981, July). Jake Steinfeld: Movie-Makin’ Muscleman. Muscle & Bodybuilder, 3(11), pp. 14–18, 54. (Retrieved November 16, 2008.)
Sugar Ray Leonard
|Honorary mayor of Pacific Palisades, California