Jalan Besar Group Representation Constituency
Jalan Besar Group Representation Constituency (Traditional Chinese: 惹蘭勿剎集選區;Simplified Chinese: 惹兰勿刹集选区) is a now defunct five-member Group Representation Constituency, and therefore an electoral district composed of several city suburbs surrounding the Central Area of Singapore, of which the street Jalan Besar it is named after and forms its centrepiece. The street itself is within the Kallang planning area, Kallang itself being part of the Jalan Basar Group Representation Constituency. The GRC has five divisions, namely Jalan Besar, Kampong Glam, Kolam Ayer, Kreta Ayer-Kim Seng and Whampoa.
Several elective areas such as Little India, colourful Desker Road, Kolam Ayer and Crawford, these of which border the Kallang River is located in the GRC. Kreta Ayer-Kim Seng itself includes the Singapore River and Chinatown whose Member of Parliament is Lily Neo. Whampoa which covers Balestier Road and Whampoa whose MP is Heng Chee How. These areas are relatively older compared to many of the newer suburbs of Singapore.
Jalan Besar GRC is a favourite GRC to be contested by the opposition at every election, with the exception in 1991 GE.
Members of Parliament
- Lee Boon Yang - Jalan Besar (1988–2011)
- Peh Chin Hua - Geylang West (1988–2001)
- Sidek Bin Saniff - Kolam Ayer (1988–1991)
- Choo Wee Khiang - Kallang (1991–1997) & Whampoa (1997–1999)
- Zulkifli Mohammed - Kolam Ayer (1991–1997)
- Yaacob Ibrahim - Kolam Ayer (1997–2011)
- Loh Meng See - Kampong Glam (2001–2006)
- Heng Chee How - Whampoa (2001–2011)
- Lily Neo - Kreta Ayer-Kim Seng (2001–2011)
- Denise Phua Lay Peng - Kampong Glam (2006–2011)
Notes: Choo Wee Khiang resigned his MP position before being charged and convicted on 1999 for cheating offences. Since he was in a GRC team, no by-election was called on the grounds of the workload could be distributed among the remaining team members.
On Singaporean general election, 2011, Jalan Besar GRC ceased to exist and its services transferred to three constituencies:
- Kolam Ayer, Jalan Besar, and Kampong Glam divisions became Moulmein-Kallang Group Representation Constituency
- Kreta Ayer-Kim Seng division was transferred to Tanjong Pagar Group Representation Constituency
- Whampoa division was evolved into the single-member constituency known as Whampoa Single Member Constituency.