Pawan Kalyan and Ileana
|Directed by||Trivikram Srinivas|
|Produced by||Allu Aravind|
|Written by||Trivikram Srinivas|
|Narrated by||Mahesh Babu|
|Music by||Devi Sri Prasad|
|Edited by||Sreekar Prasad|
|Distributed by||Geetha Arts|
|Budget||150 million (US$2.4 million)|
|Box office||350 million (US$5.6 million)(Share)|
Jalsa (English translation: Fun) is a 2008 Telugu film directed by Trivikram Srinivas and produced by Allu Aravind, under the Geetha Arts banner. The film stars Pawan Kalyan, Ileana D'Cruz and Parvati Melton in pivotal roles. The soundtrack of the film, composed by Devi Sri Prasad, was launched on 29 February 2008. The film was originally scheduled to be released on 27 March 2008, but because of delays in the digital intermediate (DI) process, the film was released on 2 April 2008 and became successful at the Tollywood Box office. The movie was dubbed in Hindi as Yeh Hai Jalsa. Jalsa was released with 400 prints in 800 theaters across 1000 screens worldwide on 2 April 2008. Jalsa collected 400 million (US$6.3 million) in 100 days and turned out to be biggest grosser of the year.
Sanjay Sahu (Pawan Kalyan) is a post-graduate from Osmania University and is working as a gym instructor. He is in love with Indu (Kamalini Mukherjee) who wishes to marry him. So she makes him meet her father (Prakash Raj), who is a police officer and also happens to be his old acquaintance. Her father declines to approve their love and she is forced to marry according to her father's choice. Meanwhile, Bhagmathi a.k.a. Bhagi (Ileana D'Cruz) and her friend Jyothsna a.k.a. Jo (Parvathi Melton) are chased by hoodlums before being rescued by Sanjay. Meanwhile, Jo and Bhagi are ragged in the college before being again rescued by Sanjay. Both begin to like Sanjay and even decide, to propose their love to him without the knowledge of the other. However, it is Jo who proposes first to Sanjay, who rejects her. Careful after seeing her friend's love rejected, Bhagi, with the help of Sreenu (Sunil), begins wooing Sanjay.
Meanwhile, Damodar Reddy (Mukesh Rishi), a powerful land-grabber who takes care of all the settlements while still in jail, is out on parole. He is in search of Sanjay for spoiling his land deals in the past and thrashing his son, who was one of the goons who chased Bhagi. He makes an attempt on life of Sanjay, but in vain. But, his friend Abhi (Ali) is taken as a hostage during the attack. Sanjay rescues Abhi, but is enraged when his friends stop him from assaulting the kidnapper by questioning his authority to take law into his hands. Sanjay then reveals his flashback, in which he hailed from a poor rural family. His brother dies of heart disease as a child. His father commits suicide as crops fail and his mother too passes away. While going to burial ground, he repeatedly slips and swoons at a stone pillar. He plucks it out, which enrages the henchmen of Damodar Reddy . When they attack him, Sahu beats them up, and disappears into a forest and joins the naxalites. During a combing operation, he joins hands with the father of Indu and Bhagi - a police officer - and his team to eliminate the team in an encounter. Sanjay is then rehabilitated as a college student in Hyderabad.
Bhagi confesses to her father about her intention to marry Sanjay, but her father rejects it by revealing to her about Sanjay being an ex-lover of her sister Indu, and an ex-naxal. Shocked, Bhagi agrees to get married as per her father's choice. Her father arranges engagement of Bhagi with Raghu Ram (Sivaji). Sanjay is disgusted that Bhagi has given her assent to the engagement and decides to break it. Meanwhile, Sanjay comes to know about the man who attempted on his life is none other than Damodar Reddy and Ragghu Ram is the elder son of Damodar Reddy. So Sanjay confronts him in jail and challenges him. Damodar Reddy gets out of jail, and forcibly arranges the marriage of Raghuram with Bhagi. Sanjay, meanwhile kidnaps the younger son of Damodar Reddy, and takes him head-on, defeats him and the film ends with Bhagi getting married to Sanjay.
- Pawan Kalyan as Sanjay Sahu a.k.a. sanju
- Ileana D'Cruz as Bhagyamathi
- Ali as Abhi
- Mukesh Rishi as Damodar Reddy
- Prakash Raj as Indu's and Bhagyamati's father
- Brahmanandam as Pranav, Head constable
- Parvati Melton as Jyothsna a.k.a. Jyo
- Sivaji as Damodar Reddy's elder son
- Tanikella Bharani as Bulli Reddy
- Sunil as Seenu
- Kamalinee Mukerji as Indu
- Dharmavarapu Subramanyam as Doctor
- Aditya Redij as Damodar Reddy's younger son
- Bianca Desai as Bhagyamathi's best friend
- Mahesh Babu as Background Narrator
Jalsa Satellite rights were sold for 35 million (US$560,000).Its audio telecast rights fetched 5 million (US$79,000).Aditya Music bought the music rights for approximately a whooping amount of 10 million (US$160,000). Its Nizam rights were sold for 70 million (US$1.1 million).
Jalsa was released with 400 Prints in 800 theaters worldwide across 1000 Screens on 2 April 2008. The openings fetched really well As the film collected 76.7 million (US$1.2 million) gross on its first day.
Jalsa collected 102 million (US$1.6 million) on its first day and 210 million (US$3.3 million) on its first week It reached 400 million club within 31 Days all over the world. The film went on collecting 500 million (US$7.9 million) in its total run with a Share of 350 million (US$5.6 million). Jalsa collected a Share of 350 million (US$5.6 million)(nett) delivering 500 million (US$7.9 million) gross in 100 Days worldwide. In Nizam Area the film collected 100 million (US$1.6 million). The film was made with a whooping high budget of 250 million (US$4.0 million) It collected 350 million (US$5.6 million) Share in 100 Days leaving 100 million staright Profit to its producer.
- The movie largely opened to positive response from both critics and audience. The film was released with 400 prints in 1000 Screens and the film proved to be a biggest grosser of the year. The film grossed 96 million in Nizam territory. It was dubbed in Hindi as Yeh Hai Jalsa.It ran for 50 days in over 258 centers and 100 days in over 25 centers.
- Best Film – Telugu - Allu Aravind [Nominated]
- Best Director – Telugu - Trivikram Srinivas [Nominated]
- Best Actor – Telugu - Pawan Kalyan [Nominated]
- Best Actress – Telugu - Ileana D'Cruz [Nominated]
- Best Supporting Actress – Telugu - Parvati Melton [Nominated]
- Best Music Director – Telugu - Devi Sri Prasad [Nominated]
- Best Lyricist – Telugu - Sirivennela Sitaramasastri - "Chalore Chalore" [Nominated]
The soundtrack of the film was launched on 29 February 2008. The audio rights were sold to Aditya Music for 9 million, the highest for a Telugu film of its released month. The music got very good reviews from websites and an excellent response from the public itself. The music has been topping the charts since its release. Devi Sri Prasad received the 2008 Santosham Best Music Director Award for his work on the film's music.
|Soundtrack album by Devi Sri Prasad|
|Released||2 April 2008|
|"Jalsa"||Baba Sehgal and Rita||4:20||Picturised on Pawan Kalyan and Ileana D'Cruz|
|"My Heart is Beating"||K. K.||5:00||Picturised on Pawan Kalyan and Ileana D'Cruz|
|"You and I"||Devi Sri Prasad||5:01||Picturised on Pawan Kalyan, Parvati Melton and Ileana D'Cruz|
|"Chalore Chalore Chal"||Ranjith||2:48||Picturised on Pawan Kalyan and Prakash Raj|
|"Jennifer Lopez"||Benny Dayal and Priya||4:21||Picturised on Pawan Kalyan and Parvati Melton|
|"Gaallo Thelinattunde"||Tippu and Gopika Purnima||4:53||Picturised on Pawan Kalyan and Ileana D'Cruz|
|"Chalore Chalore Chal (Hindi)"||Devi Sri Prasad||3:07||Bonus track|
|"My Heart is Beating (Remix)"||K. K.||3:03||Remix track|
|"Jalsa (The Devi Mix)"||Baba Sehgal, Devi Sri Prasad||4:03||Remix of title song|
- "Top 5 Telugu movies – Part 1 – Tv9". YouTube. 29 July 2011. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "Mahesh goes a step ahead with 'Jalsa'". Retrieved 24 March 2008.
- Jalsa release
- "56th Filmfare Awards South". ReachoutHyderabad.com. 2011-10-10. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- "Pawan kalyan's 'Jalsa' audio rights bagged for 90 Lakhs". Archived from the original on 1 February 2008. Retrieved 24 March 2008.
- "'Jalsa' audio rights bagged for 90 Lakhs". Retrieved 24 March 2008.
- "Power Star Pawan Kalyan's JALSA Title Song". Retrieved 24 March 2008.
- "Jalsa Music Review – Jalsa All The Way". Retrieved 24 March 2008.
- "Jalsa Music Review". Retrieved 24 March 2008.
- "Jalsa is sheer fun". Retrieved 26 March 2008.
- "‘Jalsa’ audio response from across the state". Archived from the original on 10 March 2008. Retrieved 24 March 2008.
- "http://www.andhracafe.com/index.php?m=show&id=32521". Retrieved 29 March 2008.
- "http://www.greatandhra.com/ganews/viewnews.php?id=6154&scat=4". Retrieved 29 March 2008.
- Jalsa audio review – idlebrain.com – Devi Sri Prasad