Franklin playing for San Diego State
|No. 22 – Memphis Grizzlies|
July 21, 1991 |
Moreno Valley, California
|Listed height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Listed weight||191 lb (87 kg)|
|High school||Serrano (Phelan, California)
Westwind Prep (Phoenix, Arizona)
|College||San Diego State (2010–2013)|
|NBA draft||2013 / Round: 2 / Pick: 41st overall|
|Selected by the Memphis Grizzlies|
|Pro playing career||2013–present|
|2014||→Fort Wayne Mad Ants (D-League)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Jamaal Franklin (born July 21, 1991) is an American professional basketball shooting guard with the Memphis Grizzlies of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He was selected in the second round (41st overall) in the 2013 NBA draft by the Grizzlies. He played college basketball at San Diego State, where he was the Mountain West Conference Player of the Year as well as an All-American in his junior season.
High school career
Franklin played four years at Serrano High School in Phelan, California, then played his second senior year at Westwind Prep in Phoenix, Arizona. As a junior at Serrano, he led the state of California in scoring at 31.7 points per game and was a two-time All-California Interscholastic Federation selection. In his senior year at Westwind, he averaged 18.5 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. Franklin was rated as the 24th-best shooting guard in the class of 2009 coming out of Serrano High School and had an ESPN.com grade of 90. Out of high school, Franklin was offered to play basketball at the following schools: Long Beach State University and San Diego State University.
Franklin played three different sports at Serrano High School: basketball, football, and track and field. Franklin played wide receiver and free safety for the Serrano Diamondbacks. For track and field he was a state high jumper.
Franklin enrolled at San Diego State to play for coach Steve Fisher. As a freshman, he was part of arguably the best season in school history, along with teammates Kawhi Leonard and Malcolm Thomas, as the Aztecs went 34-3 and captured a #2 seed in the 2011 NCAA Tournament. Franklin averaged 2.1 points and 1.9 rebounds in 8.1 minutes per game.
In his sophomore campaign, Franklin was thrust into the starting lineup as the Aztecs returned only one starter. He responded by averaging 17.4 points and 7.9 rebounds per game and leading the Aztecs to an unexpected shared regular-season title and a #6 seed in the 2012 NCAA Tournament. Franklin was named Mountain West player of the year and was recognized nationally as an All-American by the Associated Press.
Franklin resisted the lure of the professional ranks and returned to San Diego State in 2012–13 for his junior season.
On April 12, 2013, Franklin announced he would forgo his senior season to enter the NBA draft. Franklin became the second player from San Diego State University to go into the NBA Draft in the last three years. Kawhi Leonard left the Aztecs after his sophomore season to play for the San Antonio Spurs. He was selected with the 41st overall pick by the Memphis Grizzlies in 2013 NBA draft. During his rookie season, he has had multiple assignments with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the NBA D-League.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- "2012-13 SDSU men's basketball prospectus". SDSU Athletics. 2012. Retrieved July 19, 2012.
- "Jamaal Franklin bio". SDSU Athletics. 2012. Retrieved July 19, 2012.
- "Jamaal Franklin Profile- San Diego State University Official Athletic Site". San Diego State University Official Athletic Site. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- Zeigler, Mark (March 17, 1989). "Franklin, Fisher claim top MW honors". U-T San Diego. Retrieved July 19, 2012.
- "Two Mountain West Players Receive Associated Press All-America Honors". Mountain West Conference. 2012. Retrieved July 19, 2012.
- "Jamaal Franklin to leave SDSU early for NBA draft". Fox Sports. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Grizzlies active in 2nd round of draft, take San Diego State's Jamaal Franklin with 41st pick". FoxNews.com. June 28, 2013. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
- 2013-14 NBA Assignments
- Lund, Spencer (August 13, 2013). "THE 2013 NBA ROOKIE MIX-TAPE: KENDRICK LAMAR, JAY-Z, DRAKE, A$AP ROCKY & MORE". DimeMag.com. Retrieved November 13, 2013.