James A. Reed (businessman)
||This article contains embedded lists that may be poorly defined, unverified or indiscriminate. (March 2012)|
|Born||James A. Reed
12 April 1963
|Nationality||British and Maltese|
|Occupation||Chairman of Reed Group|
|Spouse(s)||Nicola Reed (Married)|
|Parents||Sir Alec Reed|
James A. Reed MA MBA FCIPD (born on 12 April 1963 in Woking, Surrey) is the Chairman of the Reed group of companies, which comprises Reed Specialist Recruitment, Reed Learning, Reed in Partnership and Reed Online.
James also spent more than three years with the BBC, where he worked as an Assistant Producer on documentaries and factual programmes.
Career at Reed
In 1991 James joined Reed, the recruitment specialist, which was founded by his father Sir Alec Reed in 1960. James became Chief Executive in 1997 and was appointed Chairman in 2004.
The company has grown significantly over the last 53 years and now spans Europe, the Middle East and Asia Pacific. Reed employs over 3,300 people in over 150 locations worldwide, and delivers recruitment services across 20 different specialisms (June 2013). In January 2010, Reed was named as preferred bidder to deliver the Government's Backing Young Britain campaign. Reed also runs the job website reed.co.uk.
In the recession years of 2008/2009, James Reed initiated the Keep Britain Working campaign, which aimed to promote innovative ways to preserve and create jobs. The campaign was backed by a broad range of businesses, the Mayor of London, all three of the main political parties, the British Chambers of Commerce and the Trades Union Congress.
James is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) and was formerly an Associate of the Prime Minister's Delivery Unit and a member of the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR)'s business-led Taskforce on Race Equality and Diversity in the Private Sector.
Put Your Mindset to Work, a book co-authored by James Reed and Paul G. Stoltz, was published by Portfolio Penguin in May 2011. The book reveals that 97% of employers would put mindset ahead of skill set when recruiting. It goes on to identify and describe the key traits that make up the winning mindset, called the 3G Mindset.
Put Your Mindset to Work was awarded the CMI Management Book of the Year Award in the Commuters' Read category.
The second edition of the book was published in August 2013.
The accompanying website offers the 3G Panorama, a tool for assessing mindset.
He is married to Nicola and they live in London and Wiltshire with their six children. James enjoys running, horse riding, football and mountaineering, and has participated in two of Reed’s annual Alpine Leadership Challenges led by the renowned alpinist Stefan Gatt.
- Owen, Vicki., James Reed on controversial pay plans, Mail on Sunday, 3 August 2013
- Reed, James., Mindset over Skill Set, BDaily, 2 July 2013
- Allen, George., How to turn yourself into a bankable return for your employer, London Evening Standard, 18 June 2013
- Cain, Piers., Christopher Bones wins CMI Management Book of the Year, Chartered Management Institute, 7 February 2012
- Cameron, Alastair., Ten Minutes with James Reed, Chairman of REED, TheEmployable, 24 January 2012
- Warrell, Helen & Rigby, Elizabeth., Give prisoners better chance to find work, say company chiefs, Financial Times, 4 October 2011
- Burne James, Sam., Reed boss: Exchange will not damage revenues, Recruiter Magazine, 29 September 2011
- Espinoza, Javier., Mindset Trumps Skillset When Filling Jobs, Wall Street Journal, 9 August 2011
- Cottell, Colin., It works, when you put your mind to it, Recruiter Magazine, 27 July 2011
- The first place to start is people, as the performance of individuals and teams is critical to success, HR Magazine, 22 July 2011
- Jacobs, Emma., 20 Questions: James Reed, Financial Times, 21 July 2011
- Make mindset the recruitment norm, says Reed, Recruiter Magazine, 10 June 2011
- Chynoweth, Carly., Attitude is worth more than skills, The Sunday Times, 6 June 2011
- Paton, Nic., Graduate careers: In calmer waters, but it's not all plain sailing, The Guardian, 4 June 2011
- How to triple your chances of winning the job, City AM, 2 June 2011
- Tyler, Richard., Employers hire attitude over skills, The Daily Telegraph, 31 May 2011
- Webb, Neil, The Mindset Revolution, BA Magazine, 25 May 2011
- Crush, Peter., Interview with Alec and James Reed on their recruitment agency's 50th birthday, HR Magazine, 3 September 2010
- Teather, David., Alec and James Reed: recruitment is just the job for father and son, The Guardian, 3 June 2010